It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus Christ is the only way

page: 30
<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by novacs4meThe only proper way for me to do this would take hours, due to the number of verses you expect me to discuss. Perhaps you are the originator of the list of verses, Daisy Ann, but if so, you didn't go find them in the Bible in the few minutes that passed between our posts.

Most bible thumpers I know have their facts at their finger tips. If it takes you that long to find your answers its a good indication you don't know where to look

How about humor me and tell me how many animals of each kind got on the Ark?

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Do I have to explain this again? The existence of god is entirely disproved. Wise up people. This is all about probability. The probability that the universe was created by...

1. God
2. A giant intergalactic immortal lobster called Colin

.. is exactly the same. There is no scientific proof or theistic argument that would prove god over Colin. If Colin is considered absurd, then so must god be.

Can the OP or any other theist verify the content of their books? No, of course they can't.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat
reply to post by spy66

People dont understand that our misery is totally created by our selves.

Spoken by a true believer in "not God's fault, not my responsibility. Oh look! A birdie!"

I am living PROOF that is NOT how it works. I have seen $#^* that'll turn you WHITE. I have experienced stuff that I was sure was just my mind going bye bye- until someone ELSE experienced the same exact things! Someone who didn't have the knowledge to even have a sketchy idea!

Buster.... if you were to try to walk a mile in my shoes, you'd be a blubbering mound of flesh in 100 yards.

Who are you to think that you are the only one that has seen bad things. Do you think that shiiiit only flies around your shoes.
The things that i have seen have not been done by God but by MAN every time. God is just our excuse.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by spy66
The things that i have seen have not been done by God but by MAN every time. God is just our excuse.

Not my excuse... I blame most of the worlds troubles on those who claim to work in his name.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by firegoggles

What makes you think you are deep? I never said such things of myself. Yes, religion is crap, I have mentioned this. Also, please explain to me the reason's why you think I have a closed mind? I never said anything about there being no god, I'm just more into the possibility of a god. I personally think that there is a creator behind all of this, but I don't have some man in robes sitting on some throne in the clouds kind of b.s in mind. It could be an alien, could be someone like in your example, could be anything. Or there could be nothing. It's a personal choice. That's what I was trying to get at, but obviously you must have failed to understand this. Again, closed minded examples would be appreciated if you are going to make these accusations.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by spy66

Not my excuse... I blame most of the worlds troubles on those who claim to work in his name.

zorgon is spot on. It's an excuse to build superiority over everyone else to justify immoral actions in the name of god.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Real life interfered, but I am back. I have re-read the chapters surrounding the Hosea verses in question. Hosea is actually one of my favorite books of the Bible. I love the story of how Hosea takes back his unfaithful wife, Gomer. This is how our Lord does with us. He sees us run after false gods and idols and though we deserve his wrath, he takes us back. God REALLY hated Baal worship! He expresses his anger against Ephraim in the verses Daisy Ann referred to. But then he says "How can I give you up, O Ephraim! How can I hand you over, O Israel!" He expresses His love for Israel, promises to restore them, and to forgive and bless in response to their repentance (turning from sin).

There's one of your references, and my response. It's late here, but I will look at the rest of your verses over the next few days, and reply.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by theyreadmymind

Originally posted by octotom
reply to post by suomichris

I understand that homosexuality is condemned in the N.T. but where does it say that you are supposed to condemn it? Just asking.

I can't quote chapter and verse, because I'm at work and don't have a bible handy, but homosexuality is condemned by Paul in the book of Romans. He addresses both homosexuality and lesbianism. I wish I could give you the chapter and verses but I just can't recall them at this moment. If you use a modern translation, it shouldn't take long to find it, if your interested.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Religion is bull#. I'm sorry.

If you have a belief in anything concerning God or how the universe was created, your ideas can not be proven, therefore you are full of #.

Atheists did not prove God doesn't exist.

Christians did not prove Jesus existed.

Heaven has not been proven to exist.

The big bang theory is just a theory and has not been proven either.

I bet we're all wrong, and heaven is a huge train with a monkey conductor that flings poo all over other monkeys, and in order to avoid the poo you had to give people 5 dollar bills every Wednesday night at 7 P.M. while living on Earth.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by kettlebellysmith
I can't quote chapter and verse, because I'm at work and don't have a bible handy, but homosexuality is condemned by Paul in the book of Romans. He addresses both homosexuality and lesbianism.

Did not God create Mallard Ducks?

Homosexuality does for UK blue duck population
'A lovely couple', admits downheartened bird warden
www.theregister.co.uk...

Homosexual Necrophilia In The Mallard Duck
potomac9499.wordpress.com...

Homosexual Activity Among Animals Stirs Debate

Jul 23, 2004 ... Observations of sexual activity between same-sex monkeys, dolphins, penguins, and many other animals has widened the debate about the origin

news.nationalgeographic.com...

So it seems to be happening just as much in the Animal world as ours

Now how does hat fit into your box?

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by adrenochrome

The article is the basis for "The Da Vinci Code," and frankly, I think it's just BS.
The book referred to in the article, "Holy Blood, Holy Grail," was debunked by one of the authors, a few years ago. He said basically, they made the whole thing up.!

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I'm certainly not a bigot, but to prove sexually deviant behavior in human beings is OK, by referring to this practice in the animal kingdom, is not only a weak (backwards) argument, but shows your worldview....

HUMANS are not animals....

I hope you re-think that post!

your buddy OT

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

OldThinker I would be very surprised to hear you say that you would let a Religious Text overrule your common sense that ALL Humans on Planet Earth should be treated EQUALLY.

It would extremely disappoint me to hear you say that you value Ancient Religious Texts to a higher value than Compassion and Decency for ALL Humans regardless of Race, Creed, Sex, Sexual Preference.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by one_small_step
C'mon, we can send probes to other worlds and relay information back - we a not a stupid race, can't we just be friends

Yes, we can all be friends and I would like that very much. In order to do that we need to practice some acceptance of others' beliefs.

As long as we have extremest Muslims making inflammatory comments like "Islam is the only true religion" and extremest Christians like the one who started this thread making inflammatory comments like "Jesus Christ is the only way", we have positioned ourselves for an unresolvable conflict.

As Zorgon pointed out, the Christians, Jews and Muslims are all worshiping the same God, but you'd never know it the way they deny the religions of the others. So I agree, lets try to be friends and even if you don't agree with the other guy's beliefs, allow them the right to have them (unless he's a cult leader like Jim Jones trying to get your kids to join him and drink poisoned punch. And as long as it's not a Christian trying to blow up an abortion clinic. And as long as it's not a Muslim trying to blow up the world trade center. And as long as...well hopefully you get the point).

[edit on 15-7-2009 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by TurkeyBurgers
reply to post by OldThinker

OldThinker I would be very surprised to hear you say that you would let a Religious Text overrule your common sense that ALL Humans on Planet Earth should be treated EQUALLY.

It would extremely disappoint me to hear you say that you value Ancient Religious Texts to a higher value than Compassion and Decency for ALL Humans regardless of Race, Creed, Sex, Sexual Preference.

Which "common sense" are you referring to?

OT

And my "ancient religious texts" as you refer to them teach God IS Love...did you miss that part my friend?

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
.......As Zorgon pointed out, the Christians, Jews and Muslims are all worshiping the same God, ......

I dunno know bout that?????

I will list what every MAJOR religion thinks of Jesus, which agrees with 99% of what atheists feel about him…

1) Islam……
Holds Jesus to be a prophet, or messenger of God, along with Muhammad, Moses, Abraham, Noah, and others.
Source: en.wikipedia.org...

2) Jewish…….
American rabbi and author Milton Steinberg (1903 – 1949) wrote that Jews saw the historical Jesus as a “noble and loving Jewish teacher."
Source: M. Steinberg, 1975 Basic Judaism pp. 106-107, New York: Harcourt, Brace Jovanovich

3) Baha’i……
Founded in 19th-century Persia, considers Jesus, along with Muhammad, the Buddha, Krishna, and Zoroaster, and other messengers of the great religions of the world to be Manifestations of God (or prophets), with both human and divine stations.
Source: Stockman, Robert (1992). "Jesus Christ in the Baha'i Writings". Bahá'í Studies Review

4) Krishna......
-The International Society for Krishna Consciousness considers Jesus to be a shaktyavesha, the beloved son of Krishna who came down to Earth to preach God consciousness.
-Contemporary Sant Mat movements regard Jesus as a Satguru.
-Ramakrishna believed that Jesus was an Incarnation of God Swami Vivekananda has praised Jesus and cited him as a source of strength and the epitome of perfection.
-Paramahansa Yogananda taught that Jesus was the reincarnation of Elisha.

5) Buddists……
Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama regard Jesus as a ‘bodhisattva’ who dedicated his life to the welfare of human beings.
Source: Beverley, James A. "Jesus Christ also lived previous lives", he said. "So, you see, he reached a high state, either as a Bodhisattva, or an enlightened person, through Buddhist practice or something like that".

6) Sikh......
See Jesus as a wonderful parallel with the person of Nanak, the first Sikh Guru....as with Allah and the Buddha.
Source: www.bbc.co.uk...

7) Manichaeism......
Accepted Jesus as a prophet, along with Gautama Buddha and Zoroaster.
Source: Bevan, A. A. (1930). "Manichaeism". Encyclopaedia of Religion and Ethics, Volume VIII Ed. James Hastings. Londo

8) New Agers......
Generally teach that Christhood is something that all may attain. Alice A. Bailey, who, invented the term ‘New Age’, refers to him as ‘Master Jesus’ and believe he had previous incarnations.

9) Jesus Seminars......
Portrays him as an itinerant Hellenistic Jewish sage who did not die as a substitute for sinners nor rise from the dead, but preached a "social gospel" of goodness.

10) Deists......
Thomas Jefferson, Founding Fathers of the United States, created the Jefferson Bible entitled "The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth" that included only Jesus' ethical teachings because he did not believe in his divinity

= = = = =

Do you notice some CONSISTENCES? All 10 sited-sources acknowledge him as a good man, but not God. Let me say that again...All religious leaders, most ATS-ers, and most atheists...say the same thing...”GOOD GUY, TAUGHT ABOUT LOVE AND SACRIFICE!” But NOT devine....!”

Fair?

But this is ignorant and completely ILLOGICAL...remember Chronicles of Narnia Author CS Lewis who said….“I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: “I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept His claim to be God.” That is the one thing we must not say. A man who said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic — on a level with the man who says he is a poached egg — or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.”

They really don’t worship the same God, if you are honest and do some logical thinking…

He is Lord, or an idiot, my friends!

OT

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
What is more important?

The Teachings of Jesus?

Or

The Belief that Jesus is the son of God?

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by novacs4me
Real life interfered, but I am back. I have re-read the chapters surrounding the Hosea verses in question. Hosea is actually one of my favorite books of the Bible. I love the story of how Hosea takes back his unfaithful wife, Gomer. This is how our Lord does with us. He sees us run after false gods and idols and though we deserve his wrath, he takes us back. God REALLY hated Baal worship! He expresses his anger against Ephraim in the verses Daisy Ann referred to. But then he says "How can I give you up, O Ephraim! How can I hand you over, O Israel!" He expresses His love for Israel, promises to restore them, and to forgive and bless in response to their repentance (turning from sin).

There's one of your references, and my response. It's late here, but I will look at the rest of your verses over the next few days, and reply.

Thank you for coming back, and for responding.

I have to say that I disagree with you about Hosea. The passage you quoted is a perfect example of why. In Hosea, God seems to be psychologically unstable. Do you not see that right after the passage that you quoted, he flies off into another rage containing vile imagery?

I understand the point you were trying to make, but it doesn't disprove the original contention that the god of the bible is an angry, egocentric, psychologically unstable, murderous tyrant. In fact, one swift read through of Hosea would prove it.

So, perhaps if you have some more time, how about this one:

I Kings 16:34

More human sacrifice ordered by the lord.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TurkeyBurgers
What is more important?

The Teachings of Jesus?

Or

The Belief that Jesus is the son of God?

OK, this makes good sense, nice question/dilemna!

I'd say THIS life for the first question....

I'd say the NEXT life for the second question....

Not really 'I' OT, but the scriptures would teach this...my friend good friend

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by nomorecruelty
reply to post by michaelhernsin

Satan being kicked out of Heaven is a good topic - I agree. However, I don't claim to know the answer to that other than what it says in the Bible. Satan decided to do evil and was booted out - that was God's choice. But you are asking me to state God's reason(s) and I am unable to do that as I don't know.

"Flawed" though? I wouldn't say that - unless you are one of those 'humans' that go around expecting life to be peachy perfect with no issues or problems arising.

the BIBLE defines heaven as the ultimate end, the place you will spend your eternity in, the happiest place, the best place, the purest place.
I DID NOT WRITE THE BIBLE.
i love how anyone with a brain and a non-narrow mind, can ask something of the bible that MAKES NO SENSE...and the only reply a "devout catholic/christian" can come up with is; YOUR EVIL, YOUR NOT GOD, DONT QUESTION GOD.
lol
i asked a question based off of what YOUR religion believes in. Dont get upset if YOUR RELIGION cant give you the answers...or really ANY for that matter.

the point? if heaven was as pure and holy and happy and ONLY GOOD people are in it...WHY and how did god kick out someone who was, ultimately the PUREST OF EVIL.
of course thats what your religion says right? DEVIL IS THE ULTIMATE EVIL.
so in heaven...it created the most purest evil?
is heaven truelly a place you want to be?
at least "your version" of heaven?
lol

top topics

<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join