It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I struggle with the bible

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Thanks for all the replies and more so that they are mainly reasoned and civil although 'letthereaderunderstand' I found some of your reply very confusing
did you have a hand in writing any of the recent translations lol

To Amagnon I have read 'Genesis revisted' and am currently reading 'the end of days' and find a lot of what Stichin says to be very plausible although not all. lets leave that to all the other threads discussing his work and the 'terra papers' which i find tie in with his work.

I think in essence the bible will always be full of inconsistencies due to the PTB tampering for their own ends be that through satans influence or not.

I think it would have been a lot easier if the bible was just the 10 commandments which if followed by all would make the world a far better place to live and the idea that we should love everyone as well. The rest is just history which as we all know is written by the victors and each side has its own versions.

One thing i would like to add though is that after starting this thread last night while I was watching a program on one of the 'factual/documentary' channels about God vs satan and the final showdown - took you from creation, Lucifers fall to the final battle for some reason (god?) i suddenly decided to look at flights from london to Israel.
(I know going off topic now but I think it's relevant)

Now i have a long weekend booked off work from this fri till mon and I had planned on taking my partner on walking in Wales and climbing Snowdon. We live about 180miles apart so only see each other at weekends but as of last night I suddenly became interested in going to Israel and visiting Jerusalem. I don't know why except obviously it is a very spiritual place and worthy of a visit for any number of reasons. I talked about this at work today and a long time christian encouraged me to go, everyone else thinks i'm nuts. When I mentioned it to my partner rather than 'going off on one' as I had expected (rocky patch now anyway) she too encouraged me. Anyway I have booked the flight and go on fri morning and will fly back mon eve. It's still 2 weeks to payday and I have just spent all my money on this -doh! I will have about £50/$80 left now, once I get to Israel I will have to somehow travel to Jerusalem, sleep somewhere and eat but the thing is for some reason it's not bothering me at all. I seem to be 'happy' with the thought of walking/hitching from Tel Aviv through the night to Jerusalem its about 43 miles. i am going to have to sleep rough or rely on help from elsewhere.
I have no idea what to expect ( I would love to think i'm going to have some sort of religious experience/ectasy) but somehow I doubt this is what is going to happen and yet i am still going. One thing for sure it is going to be an interesting experience and hopefully I'll come back with some memorable experiences - I just hope they are happy ones - as Israel is not exactly the safest place on the planet

To meet with God it is said you have to step out in faith so as of Friday here goes, I'm stepping, just pray that God is in a catching mood

Not sure why i am sharing this with you all as I'm sure I'll get some 'interesting' replies about it but hey ho!
Any sensible advice appreciated, I'm going to trawl all the traveller sites for info and advice but if any of you have been there and have any tips I'm listening.
Cheers to you all.
P.S. At least having prepared supplies for Sit X i will be able to eat on my return - I always said it's best to be prepared just didn't envisage this being when I'd need those supplies - Sit X is me lol

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by johnb

Sorry if how I explained it makes no sense. I wasn't trying to confuse you but, don't feel alone, you wouldn't be the first. Perhaps you could tell me what you are confused about so that I might try to clarify for you. Basically my advise to you is read the book with truth as your guide. Like I said, truth is easy, as easy as something you know to be true. Start there and leave the unbelievable out of it.

Did you know "Miracle" means "smile". Clowns perform miracles...

Language is your first barrier. The saying, "If you want something done right you have to do it yourself" applies here. You read the bible in English. The bible wasn't written in English and loosely and I mean LOOSELY translates what is being put forth. You would do better understanding how the bible was put together first, before trying to read the actual book.

Most Christians faith is put together like a swing set that they got on Christmas morning. They toss the instructions and go right to putting it together, only when they are done, there are all kinds of parts left over. They are so excited that they finished the set, that they throw away the extra parts and deem the set "finished". Anything with left over parts is not finished, it's not even safe to swing on.

Because of the pride of people, especially when it comes to "MY GOD", they don't need the extra parts, "MY GOD" will take care of it. The only problem is "My God" didn't put together the bible, Man did. Man assembled Inspired writings into a book, which is what bible means...book. This book, is what is referred to in the "bible" as "the doctrines of men", because it is taught as men teach, to follow men, not God.

Let me ask you a question. Why do you think it is that the Jews don't "witness" to people? Christianity shouldn't deviate any from Judaism as Jesus said, "I did not come to change the law, but to full fill it". He didn't come to start "christianity", but to full fill Judaism. Why then don't Jews preach and try converting people to Judaism? Here's a hint, they read the tanak..."The old testement"...in Hebrew.

[edit on 15-7-2009 by letthereaderunderstand]

[edit on 15-7-2009 by letthereaderunderstand]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
I could go on and on but that will do for starters anyway, I would like reasoned answers to these inconsistencies please and PLEASE try to keep things pleasant I am seeking the way and knocking on the door so if you truly are a christian you are obliged by the bible and the word of God to help me not to flame me!
Keep that in mind if you reply, I would like a reasoned debate not a schoolyard argument.

wow! I can learn from this. I'm not always pleasant when responding to athiest who flame our faith.

anyways thanks for being sincere.

no more comments.

[edit on 16-7-2009 by JesusisTruth]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by johnb

Why does there have to be a struggle? Why can't you think for yourself? God is inside us all...some of us just have an easier time listening perhaps.

I don't need anything written down on paper or words out of the mouths of fakers. I don't have a desire to join a group that is going to tell me what is what. I know what is what. It is within me.

[edit on 16-7-2009 by Excitable_Boy]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I can and do think for myself but it's helpful to have a framework and some reference points. After all the wheel has already been invented so there's not much point spending your life reinventing it.
I agree that any belief is personal and we all have our own, even disbelief is a belief.
But it can be helpful to bounce ideas of others as they will come at things from different angles and therefore help you to 'test' your belief system.
Every time it passes a test it becomes stronger and when it fails you either have to modify your belief to accomadate these new thoughts/facts or accept it was wrong in the first place.

If you are unwilling to have your beliefs tested and challenged then I would suggest you have little faith in your beliefs.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Excitable_Boy
reply to post by johnb

Why does there have to be a struggle? Why can't you think for yourself? God is inside us all...some of us just have an easier time listening perhaps.

I don't need anything written down on paper or words out of the mouths of fakers. I don't have a desire to join a group that is going to tell me what is what. I know what is what. It is within me.

[edit on 16-7-2009 by Excitable_Boy]

Here is an example of how the truth will set you free. He is living the name of Jesus, because his name is a meaning and a purpose not an image of a man, rather he is man.

"I have not seen more faith in all of Israel, then in this one"....

Peace

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by johnb

If you are unwilling to have your beliefs tested and challenged then I would suggest you have little faith in your beliefs.

My beliefs don't need to be tested. You and anyone can challenge them all you want. It change my beliefs or my faith. That means my faith is strong....quite the opposite of what you think. You suggest I have little faith in my beliefs? LMAO....you truly don't know what you are talking about.

I have God and am with God. This is all I need.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Excitable_Boy

Don't get so excited

I was not aiming my reply at you personally the use of 'you' was meant gernerically.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join