It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al Qaeda & Taliban Sanctions Committee List contains names of dead people - UN

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Here is a link to the statment released by the Security Council:

Security Council Committee established pursuant to resolution 1267 (1999) concerning Al-Qaida
and the Taliban and Associated Individuals and Entities

I'd like to draw your attention to this section:

The Committee is facing several challenges with regard to the Consolidated List: there are a number of names of persons on the list who are reported to be dead, or cases where a continued listing may no longer seem to be appropriate. Other entries have very few identifiers and do not contain sufficient information to allow for the positive identification of the party concerned.

For these entries, the application of the sanctions measures is very difficult, but at the same time they can affect unintended and innocent individuals. The review is an ideal opportunity to check these entries, add additional identifiers or to remove names from the list for which listing is not considered appropriate anymore. The Committee has also considered the issue of deceased persons. Acknowledging the importance of addressing this issue, the Committee decided to undertake a review of this list of deceased persons in the framework of the general review pursuant to paragraph 25 of resolution 1822.

This pdf was released on 01/07/09 and probably would have been buried if an article on Reuters hadn't cought my eye.

Dead people on U.N. terrorism sanctions list - envoy

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - Dozens of terrorism suspects remain on a U.N. sanctions list despite having likely died and information on others is so scant as to render their inclusion useless, a U.N. ambassador said on Tuesday.

These flaws make it tough to impose bans on people and companies on the list linked to al Qaeda and the Taliban, even as new threats emerge in countries like Somalia, said Thomas Mayr-Harting, who chairs the U.N. Security Council's Al Qaeda and Taliban Sanctions Committee.

Of 513 entries on the list, 38 people are reported or believed to be dead, Mayr-Harting, who is also Austria's ambassador to the United Nations, told reporters.

I find this quite interesting. Militaryand Political policy of both the US, Europe and many other nations has been dtermined by the War on Terror. You would think it would be a matter of great importance to have the 'Most Wanted List' up to date and correct.

It reminds me that according to the FBI's most wanted list, Osama Bin Laden isn't wanted in connectio with 911.

FBI most wanted - Osama Bin Laden

MURDER OF U.S. NATIONALS OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES; CONSPIRACY TO MURDER U.S. NATIONALS OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES; ATTACK ON A FEDERAL FACILITY RESULTING IN DEATH

USAMA BIN LADEN IS WANTED IN CONNECTION WITH THE AUGUST 7, 1998, BOMBINGS OF THE UNITED STATES EMBASSIES IN DAR ES SALAAM, TANZANIA, AND NAIROBI, KENYA. THESE ATTACKS KILLED OVER 200 PEOPLE. IN ADDITION, BIN LADEN IS A SUSPECT IN OTHER TERRORIST ATTACKS THROUGHOUT THE WORLD.

Nope, no specific mention of 911.

Really seems to me that these lists aren't taken that seriously.

[edit on 14-7-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Thanks for this Kiwi. What do you think this changes? What does it mean? I realize on the surface it means that another piece of what we are fed is a sham....what else?

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

Yep, there's an aspect of that in there, of us definitley being being lied to.

Also I wonder if this signals an attempt to come clean with regards to the Taliban and Afghanistan.

There was another thread about Pakistan saying that Obama isn't in their territory so they wanted to be left alone.

Stop bombing us: Osama isn't here, says Pakistan

Maybe everyone, including the UN is sick of this bogus US/UK war on terror?

Probably a pipe dream but hey, you never know!

[edit on 14-7-2009 by kiwifoot]

new topics

join