It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swearing 'helps to reduce pain'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Swearing 'helps to reduce pain'
news.bbc.co.uk...

Uttering expletives when you hurt yourself is a sensible policy, according to scientists who have shown swearing can help reduce pain.

A study by Keele University researchers found volunteers who cursed at will could endure pain nearly 50% longer than civil-tongued peers.

They believe swearing helps us downplay being hurt in favour of a more pain-tolerant machismo.

Well now that I think of it... every one does this already. I cannot picture anyone stubbing a toe/finger and not swearing, even if its chruch friendly swearing.

Despite their initial expectations, the researchers found that the volunteers were able to keep their hands plunged in the ice water for a longer period of time when repeating the swear word.

So next time, don't feel bad swearing when you get hurt... its good for you.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I swear like a sailor and never feel guilty about it..after all they're just words, right? Then how come we cant say them on here, god d*mmit. But I like this article, s&f for you..makes me feel good knowing I have an excuse now

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
That's good to have that confirmed!... Saying stuff like monkey apples just because you happen to be stood right in front of some kids really don't work as well as a good old

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
There was a thread started the other day on this

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Must explain why I dont feel pain..lol

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Hi, hurting-not-too-much persons !!

Ha HA HAAAAAAAAA ! ! THAT's a GOOD one ! !

F & S everywhere possible to everybody here ! !

Blue skies.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Gotta show this to my mom!

CX

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
That explains a lot.

I rarely swear at all, but i have a chronic ankle injury from the army that has resulted in weakness there. If i don't wear my ankle brace, it twists and often fractures.

The pain is excrutiating, but everytime without fail i let out an almighty "F word"
. No matter where i am, this is the first thing out of my mouth....and the whole world hears it.....but it seems to help the pain in those first few agonising seconds.

CX.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I've been thinking lately why we really condemn swearing. Is it really that bad? I don't think its the words that are bad, so what are they banning? Really it seems like they're trying to ban the emotion behind it. Even on here I've seen people say above a video "Warning: EXTREME language". I mean really people? (extreme language coming up!) Grow some balls. The younger gen is totally going to reverse some of this I bet.

But it does make sense, you can sort of ease frustration by swearing.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ghaleon12

True, but I would say its mostly to protect children. They dont need to be running around cussing yet, and anyone can view these posts without signing up. And then, who would sign up here if it required a credit card to verify their age?

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Hell yeah! Everytime i ever talk to anyone they say i cuss a ****ing lot and it's the truth, but at the same time i know when to not cuss and be polite and kind. Cusswords are just that, WORDS, nothing more, i dont give a flying **** if you do get offended by them, they are now part of my vocabulary and ive been using them daily since i was about 13. In fact, the last time i cussed was about 10 minutes ago, let out a couple f-words and then finished it up with the nice old s-word and felt fine afterwards.

and there's absolutely no sense in them being blocked on here, gamefaqs, or anywhere else that requires you to be 13 or over to sign up. If you're under 13 then you're breaking the rules anyway and should be banned, why the # would any site try to protect their viewers which arent even SUPPOSED to be on the god damn site in the first place? Does that make the least bit sense? At all?
[edit on 14-7-2009 by Deus Ex Machina 42]

[edit on 14-7-2009 by Deus Ex Machina 42]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyprex

Amen brudda! Star and Flag

I swear like it is going out of style on a regular #$@%^%$ basis lol

new topics

top topics

join