It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian tourism industry reeling from visa requirement for Mexicans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Canadian tourism industry reeling from visa requirement for Mexicans

ca.news.yahoo.com

OTTAWA - The Canadian tourism industry is reeling from the sudden announcement that Mexican travellers will now require a visa to enter the country.

The decision, announced Monday, also applies to citizens of the Czech Republic.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.thestar.com

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
What the heck is going on here? Why all of a sudden the hate for Mexico?
Canadians -"Don't travel there." not safe..let's block them out by requiring visas, which will be denied anyway.
Lots of farmers up here bring workers up, and their are many students that come here to study. Gonna deny the students too?
What about the Czech Republic? Nice way to make enemies.
I fail to see how this improves Canada in the eyes of the world.
I seems the US is rubbing off on us too much.

ca.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I believe they are asking for visa's to curb the major gang violence in Vancouver. The cops are trying to stop the flow of drugs from Mexico to Canada, coc aine mostly. There is a drug war on the streets which has claimed the lives of a lot of innocent people. If you are not a part of their gang then your the enemy.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
I believe they are asking for visa's to curb the major gang violence in Vancouver. The cops are trying to stop the flow of drugs from Mexico to Canada, coc aine mostly. There is a drug war on the streets which has claimed the lives of a lot of innocent people. If you are not a part of their gang then your the enemy.

So why block out the Czech's as well? they aren't running drugs. And you cannot throw out the whole barrel because of a few bad apples. Besides..Canadians are just as guilty for producing their own stuff to sell on the street.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Yeah I just read the whole article. It left me clueless as to why they would do it. I am truly puzzled.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
Yeah I just read the whole article. It left me clueless as to why they would do it. I am truly puzzled.

To me it seems rash, and very brazen.
Like, either it came about very suddenly..or????

I don't know.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Czech Republic because there's a very high number of people who stay.

See link for more info
www.thestar.com...

that's what it's all about and it won't work!

[edit on 14-7-2009 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

There is a higher number of Asians here than any other nationality. FACT.
Gonna block them as well? This is ridiculous. You start burning one bridge, and others get torn down.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

I'm not disagreeing with you
But asians, to play devil's advocate, usually tend to be good hard working people and send money back to their countries.

Not to say anything offensive but Czechs are slightly different.
I'm sure alot of them are good, but alot of them also do crime.

For example, i'm sure as a canadian you've heard about people in vans, go up to ATM machines and put some device there so that when people use the bank machine the device steals their info?

These are mostly Czechs crime groups.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

It's racist. It's disgusting.
It's like saying no more black people because they create gang violence and drive by shootings.
We all came here from somewhere else, unless you are Native.
There has to be more to this..it's very sudden.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
It's racist. It's disgusting.
It's like saying no more black people because they create gang violence and drive by shootings.

I completely agree with you!

However you feed this type of info to certain people and they will be all for it.

But what do you think of this:

Since the visa requirement was lifted on the Czech Republic in October 2007, nearly 3,000 claims have been filed by Czech nationals, compared with less than five in 2006. The relatively higher acceptance rate of refugee claims originating in the Czech Republic masks the troubling fact that more than half of the claims are abandoned or withdrawn before a final decision is made by the Immigration and Refugee Board, indicating that many claimants may not be genuine refugees.

“In addition to creating significant delays and spiraling new costs in our refugee program, the sheer volume of these claims is undermining our ability to help people fleeing real persecution,” said Minister Kenney. “All too often, people who really need Canada’s protection find themselves in a long line, waiting for months and sometimes years to have their claims heard. This is unacceptable.

“The visa requirement I am announcing will give us a greater ability to manage the flow of people into Canada and verify bona fides. By taking this important step towards reducing the burden on our refugee system, we will be better equipped to process genuine refugee claims faster.”

“The visa process will allow us to assess who is coming to Canada as a legitimate visitor and who might be trying to use the refugee system to jump the immigration queue,” Minister Kenney said. “It is not fair for those who have been waiting patiently to come to Canada, sometimes for years, when others succeed in bypassing our immigration system.”
www.cic.gc.ca...

Perhaps they are trying to help as well.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
How the hell can you say its racist - or bad - or whatever?

Its a privilege to travel into a foreign country, whether you are there to study, work, do business or travel.

If I had my own country - everyone would need a visa to come in, and I would have fairly strict rules regarding immigration - I don't think immigration is a good idea at all - but if someone wants to move to a country, they would have to prove they would add value to the country.

A visa system allows some screening of people who can enter the country, you don't want poor, unskilled migrants to move in - you are then simply a hostel for the homeless and your citizens have to pick up the tab.

The other thing is I think citizens of one country would not feel it right to allow people into their country who have criminal records including violent crime or drug trafficking.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amagnon
The other thing is I think citizens of one country would not feel it right to allow people into their country who have criminal records including violent crime or drug trafficking.

That's true
they would not want such people in their country

They would much rather elect them if they already live here

btw

Czech Govt. Responds - Video
news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca... 4%2fvisas_immigration_090714

[edit on 14-7-2009 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I see the talk of the drug problem in Mexico holds true.
www.nationalpost.com...
However, not just drugs are the problem.

there is an industry in Mexico dedicated to providing false information about immigrating to Canada.

"There's some people who are fake, let's say paralegal ... people trying to scam them and telling them that they could apply for visa or work permits and they can teach them how to ask for asylum or whatever with a payment in exchange

And the Czech backlash is swift and sure...

Czech Prime Minister Jan Fischer recalled the Czech ambassador to Canada, Karel Zebrakovsky. He also announced that Canadian diplomats will need visas to travel to the country.

www.nationalpost.com...

You can say that one nationality or another causes more job loss, affects the economy, puts a strain on taxpayers, increases crime..blah, blah, blah...
BUT..
Immigration also brings in a host of diverse people who contribute to the communities they call home.
The minute you start blocking entry to people, it creates a ripple effect, and you might lose out on the good by trying to avoid the bad.
A process that takes years to become a citizen is ridiculous.
I'm sorry, but I believe there are just as many Canadians, born here, that are guilty of the same things these people are being denied access for.
I believe this is just a way of wielding power over other countries, and damaging relations will be the result. Obviously.
Now Canadians will be even more unwelcome as we travel the globe.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I am the product of immigration myself as my parents came here in the late 60's. I was born here and work and live here. As more and more cities get more and more crowded the crime rates rise. Immigrants do tend to move to major cities. Generally I am sure most are not criminals but some are. I believe a person should be sponsored by a citizen of Cananda and the Health and welfare of the person immigrating should be the sponsors responsibility for at least 10 years. That would give any immigrant the opportunity to get settled and be earning a living before the sponsor is off the hook. If they cannot support themselves after 10 years they either stay the responsibility of the sponsor or they return to the country of origin. If an immigrant commits a crime and is sentenced to more than 3 years in prison they should automatically be asked to return to the country of origin.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
What we are forgetting here, is that this applies to all tourists..not just those seeking refugee status.

Mexico was the sixth-largest source of tourists to Canada last year, with 266,000 visitors, and the numbers had been steadily increasing.

Hume Rogers of Ottawa's Capital Hotel and Suites had 25 rooms booked for 10 days this month with a Mexican tour group.

"What really hurts about this is that there was no warning at all ... and all of a sudden, basically the day the doors were supposed to open on the beginning of the peak season, they're being shut in our face a little bit."

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
this is a total crap!!!

i was planning going to live to canada for a while

this is not cool!

top topics

join