Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Right how on earth did facebook get my 'real' (main) Email address?? I'm a little freaked out no

page: 1

join

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
OK, basically I was bored and felt like 'cyber stalking' a few people I knew - it got boring quicker than I thought, people just accept you as a friend weather they know you or not, and I gave up being a facebook ninja and just started being bizzare

Any who I just made up a normalish sound name and spoofed an account, set up a hotmail account specially for it, it had no links to my real name or other details...

So why when I checked my 'real' email account which actually has my first name in it (and almost no one actually has the address BTW, it gets used for serious things, I have a separate one for friends) did I have a friend request reminder??

I'm not going to ask facebook because they seem to just put things together, it seems a little sinister if I'm honest, it was a Hotmail address I used on the account, and now they have my gmail address!?!? And I KNOW they never got it from me...

Any one got any ideas?

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

I have an idea, alot of these companies are bought by other companies and those are bought by other companies, point being that Windows Live Messenger and Yahoo Instant Messenger can now sort of interact even though they were previously enemies.

Maybe Facebook is owned by Google or something, so you were logged into your real Gmail, then you logged in on another page to Facebook and suddenly Facebook notices and applies your e-mail?

Anyway I am not sure which companies own which but I felt I should reply because something similar happened to me though I don't remember with which websites, the only example I could remember was the Windows Instant Messenger and Yahoo one.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Are you sure you didn't put in your "real" e-mail address when they asked you for an alternate e-mail to send stuff too?

I don't know how facebook works but I know sometimes other sites ask you for an alternate e-mail account. Or maybe the "new" e-mail set up had a link back to your "real" e-mail?

Edit to add -

Your avatar had me distracted for a few minutes before I could even read your post.

[edit on 14-7-2009 by Hastobemoretolife]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by BaronVonGodzilla

That could be the case, probably something to do with my IP or something... I even thought about using that TOR onion routing network just because I've never used it, but knowing FB they probably don't let you use the site unless they know your IP and underwear preference! (mines commando)

reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

Yhea I pull Jessica Alba out every so often, she can swim through my imagination all day every day

And no, definatly did not give them that address in any way, I'm suspicious of FB and this little exercise was really just a chance to poke around the site and get a feel for it, and even if I did accidentally give them a 'real' address it would not be that one, I have another that I don't mind getting junk and stuff sent to it - I always like to have a 'clean' and simple email address, once it starts getting on too many lists I usually start a new main one and just kinda monitor the older one.

Oh yhea I just checked the 'spoff' acount and it has like 35 sorta routine face book email (non from anywhere else)... An old girlfried has just accepted my alais as a friend!! She wouldn't spit on me if I was on fire!! (bad break up
) I so wan't to yank her chain but she's holding a newborn baby in the picture - she's probably a bit hormonal - that could be suicide... I have my limits!

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Dude, first of all, cyber-stalking is for LOSERS. I mean, who seriously sits around trying to track someone's activities on the internet, when they could be out on the town, living life and having a good time instead?

And, so what if they found out your email addresses - what are they going to do, spam you to death?

I've had problems with cyber-stalkers before, but I just told them, hey instead of sitting around stalking people over the net like LOSERS, why don't you come out of the shadows and
my
my
and
my
instead?

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorDisaster

Ha Ha... your no fun! There is no way I'm having a FB account in my real name, or another 'social networking' site, seriously it's creepy just how much personal stuff otherwise sensible people actually put out there for other to see... I bet I could even guess a few peoples passwords just from the info on the page (not that I would)... People act like they know me... Well the name I use - it's a load

Oh yhea it was raining hard out and I'm trying to cut down on the smokes, telly sucked I've read everything I have and my fridge was bare.... What else was I gonna do? Lighten up dude, it's not like I follow them around with a knife and a headless teddy bear in my pockets! It was harmless

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Can't argue with you there, I refuse to use Facebook any more too. The whole goddamn world doesn't need to know who all my friends are and everything about me and everything I'm doing.....

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Facebook will allow you on if you are using TOR. It works quite well for me.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Maybe, your browser saved your email address, some browsers use auto fill or something similar when filling forms, and then you end up with old information on some fields, or use autocomplete, you type the first letters and the rest are filled by the browser, and if you don't realize it and hit submit or whatever, you send the wrong details, it has happened to me before.

Also, your avatar looks like my girlfriend, a lot! it is a little disturbing to me

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaifan
Also, your avatar looks like my girlfriend, a lot! it is a little disturbing to me

You can find out a lot on facebook! Muhahaha.... Nah that's Jessica Alba and it seems congratulations are in order for you you big stud!!

That could be a plausible explanation but as of right now I have only 1 friend request in my personal account and 35-40 in the account specifically for facebook sent both before and after the single one... And it's for a person I don't know... It's odd. Maybe I should give the tin foil a break for today!

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Ahh, you will be alright.

Who knows, wasn't there a thread on here a few months back or so about how facebook is a CIA op?

Ahhh oh well, you will be alright, you just might have to change your name and move and invest in heavy duty tin foil, and some extra strength door locks, about 30 of them.

You always have Jessica Alba to consul you.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
On Facebook your friend requester can input your email address to see if you are registered on there, and if not then they will send you an email with the request in an attempt to make you join. If your friend has your real email address, then I'm betting that's why. Nowt to worry about.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by JennyJen

Dammit!!! - nice clean logical thinking there buddy
I really thought facebook was using some skulduggery... That does make a lot of sense, I've been rumbled and they just made up a name of their own.

Now I have to burn my computer and shoot my sectary to make sure this goes no further... Go live in a cave with my tin foil and live of my finely honed arts and crafts skills.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
reply to post by JennyJen

Dammit!!! - nice clean logical thinking there buddy
I

Hehe, don't happen for me often! Think I'll be joining you with the tin foil origami soon enough!

new topics

top topics

join