It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Upcoming Military Robot Could Feed on Dead Bodies

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Well, that takes care of the Zombie problem.

Just saying.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I wonder how the machine can tell a living human body from a dead one? I'm certain they've thought about it, but still...there would have to be glitches in the system. Someone, somewhere is going to be eaten alive by a machine.

Thats kind of disturbing. The idea is too far ahead of the tech, and using corpses for fuel is fundamentally wrong to begin with. The whole thing is reminding me of that re-make of War of the Wolrds, where the machines had humans in cages, waiting to be mulched.

This is a project which needs years more testing than the government is likely to give. Something will go wrong, and nobody will ever hear about it.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Malfeitor

That sounds like the monte python bit bring out your dead.

The dead sensor says you're dead.

"But, I'm not dead"

Sorry, I have to eat you now.

"But I'm not dead"

The dead sensor clearly states that you're dead.

Prepare to be consumed.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Discotech

Of course

I have to ask though have you ever seen someone been killed? Been in the military? It is traumitising enough. I cant fathom seeing someone being eaten alive (and I have seen some sick things in my life).

This mindset is what worries me though. In the ancient days there was a such thing as 'warrior code'. Heroism, selflessness, compassion, comraderie, honour, etc. Not looting corpses. Versus today where we bomb civilians without caring, treat war like a game, enemies as 'evil'. Its all skewed beyond belief and it drives me nuts.

And now human-eating-robots? Using the energy to kill more humans? Its just sick. There used to be a thing called respect too. I hope you dont complain then if British troops get killed and bodies desecrated and dragged behind cars.
Anyways... If God exists there is a very good reason he has foraken us...

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Ridhya

No military experience apart from cadets but I've seen someone die, however I see the human body as a vessel and when someone dies it becomes an empty vessel and part that made the person who they were has gone off to wherever they go when they die! I have to ask what is the difference between a robot consuming a body for fuel to say worms in the ground consuming a dead body for fuel ? I guess it boils down to your opinion on dead bodies and to me they're just empty husks so I'm ok with it

With regards to the old days, yes there was a thing called chivalry, war was a weird thing back then though, you used to organise and arrange a time that was suitable for both armies to fight and then line up on a big field and duke it out. However you are forgetting the catapulting of severed heads over fort walls, putting severed heads on pikes in the ground to ward off enemies. The warrior code was only really associated with Samurai's, there really was no code for anyone else, especially in the crusades it was brutal then for both crusaders and muslims.

As for your "treat enemies like they're evil" comment, are they not evil ? Isn't that what makes them our enemies ?

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
How long before a desperate administration sets a "crew" of those things loose in an urban setting -- eliminating once and for all the drunks from the gutters, or sleeping on park benches.

NO, I am not advocating this!

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
The bodies of an enemy should be treated with utmost respect. After all wouldn't you want your troops bodies treated with respect by the enemy?

The creator(s) of this monstrosity should be tried for crimes against humanity, this is nothing short of horrifying.

Seriously...

Big suprise that an American has designed this.....

No... the people who will use this robot in the fashion of using humans as fuel should be tried, not the creators.
Maybe we should go back and punish those who invented the fossil fuel plants as well, as those potentially also could be used to burn humans for power.

Sigh, stop making a big deal out of this just because Fox is.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Dear god, i think it's pretty evident now that the only advancement humanity is capable of is unimaginable horrors. OH GREAT! what do you know? Another pointlessly erected abomination on earth that should never of been!

YAY

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

I don't see this as a solution to the homeless problem.

Although, it does seem to be a scary problem if battlefield robots have both the power to kill and also can power themselves off the dead.

That really does seem like a case for mankind killing itself.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Well okay first, worms eat and digest and their excrment is for 'manure', you know its what MAKES soil nutrients. Healthy soil always ahs worms (so Im told). Okay so the worms eat the bodies, it is part of the ecosystem, and they turn it into useful stuff, which makes trees grow, which make oxygen, which we breathe! Ecosystem
Versus: Terminator on wheels treading around shooting people and consuming them to kill MORE people. Its sick. One is biology ~ life the other is death breeding death!

Warriors are not just for the Samurai, but you are correct they are the best example. You should look at 'chivalry' of the knights and the Norse Laws.

No they are not 'evil'. I believe 'good' and 'evil' are non existent there are only shade of grey. Being an agnostic I hope you will understand. People always paint themselves as righteous and whoever is opposition as evil so that they can easily persuade stupid people to do their bidding. Corrupted religion is the most obvious example. Power is generally the cause.

You have to look at cause, ALWAYS. Like why would someone in the mid. East hate us? Look into our foreign policies and forced government changes to pro-western murderous dictators. I mean if you want power there all youd have to do is gain a small following there and secretly tell America you will do whatever they want!

And like... take Afghanistan for example. If you do not understand an insurgency I will explain. There were supposedly only like 50,000 Taliban when we arrived. And according to military 80,000 or so killed..? At least thats my last recollection.
We go in. Kill some people who may not even hate us. Accidentally bomb some civilians. People who are not fighters, many not even of that nationality! will enter to fight, because they see US as the evil! I mean we do kill civilians all the time, in EVERY war! And if the western army kills your family, bombs your place of business or worship, is it wrong to see that army as evil? Is it then wrong to pick up an AK-47 and fight them? They are after all in your country!

It all depends on perspective really

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Ridhya

Indeed it is perspective and something we're not going to see eye to eye on
I can see where you are coming from and it's something I'd like to see, but war is hell and if it means my side loses less soldiers and wins then I'm all for the human fueled terminator squads!

As for Chivalry within Knights, that remains in fantasy and fairy tales sorry, the truth is they weren't very chivalrous and were quite Brutal. The Nordic barbarians & Vikings (I hope these who you were refering to with "Norse Law") were even worse, they would not only kill off everyone on the battlefield but would also pillage towns, burn them down and kill all the inhabitants including children because they were considered below them and not of the great Nordic blood, that was of course after they raped all the women.

In war there is no warrior code, it's just you and the guy next to you fighting for your lives against an enemy, none of which really know why they are fighting but they're out to kill each other and it's certainly far from tea parties and picnics. (I might not have been in military but I have a few friends and family who have)

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Well no we do see eye to eye, I think minimise casualties is the most important... but I mean it is sick. You see body as an empty shell, right? I do too, but its about RESPECT. Not 'what happens to the cellular breakdown. When I die I dont want to be consumed by a robot that will kill my comrades.

Calling the Norsemen barbarians is a stretch. I have studied them for many many years. The Church has demonised them because they were spiritual beings they thought was demonic. And the Church sent missionaries (more like mercenaries) to commit genocide and we fought back. Did you know churches were always the first target? There is a reason. The Norsemen were very hygenic with combs and soap and tweezers and such. Not dirty barbarians. Rape is a myth, at least in most cases. You are right they did see their blood as superior, and did not mix until the met the Lapplanders first, then the Irish, and then the Slavs. And thus we have modern Finnish, modern Irish, and modern Russians ('Russia' even comes from the band of Vikings who sailed into the Siberia, the Rus.)
Children were not killed but there are accounts of them being taken and raised Norse. You are probably thinking of the Berserkergang where EVERYONE is a target, comrades included.

Okay so there is not a common code anymore. I follow my own morals. I would rather be righteous and dead than alive and cowardly.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

guess I should have gone for the fear monger title like you instead of a lulzy one.
Autonom-nom-nom-nomous technology is way better.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by bismarcksea
reply to post by mr-lizard

USA USA USA! We are indeed number 1 when it comes to vicious robots that will kill your soldiers and EAT YOUR BABIES!!! MUHAHAHHAHAHAHA!

I wonder if I could talk them into testing this on my wife?

i wonder if your wife (and babies) would find that funny.
people like you give me hope that evil has won, and there is no compassion, empathy, or good left in the world.
all hail satan!

scumbag.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jnewell33
reply to post by ChemBreather

I have a feeling that the 'Sky Net' you are referring to is already in the form of a company named Google. I think it will become more prevalent once the government deems it necessary to 'monitor' all internet and tech companies for 'national security' purposes. We are all slowly being uploaded into doomsday 'operating system' one keystroke or twitter at a time.

done and doner.

time to learn how to make an EMP pulse with discarded computer parts.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Soothsayer

Originally posted by bismarcksea
I wonder if I could talk them into testing this on my wife?

Let me know how this works... I might be able to offer up a second test.

i hope they design a robot that can discern your attitude and eat you alive.

scumbag 2.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by fleetlord

Plus, how many people do you know of who walk around wearing all-organic clothing?

let's see?

cotton sock, cotton pants, cotton underwear, cotton tee....

me.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Discotech

I like this thread just for the fact it brings the paranoia brigade out on show.

i like this forum because it brings out the "look over there! nothing to see here!" crowd out on show.

Question: If the soldiers are dead, how is it any different to being used as donors or towards medical science ? Also if it eats our enemies who would have us dead, how is eating them (alive preferably, just to teach them the error of their ways) a bad thing ?

because people VOLUNTEER to be used for medical science, and because medical science is trying to (allegedly, lol) HELP people not eliminate them.

I for one welcome our Lean Mean Killing Machines, I wonder if they'll include a George Foreman Grill as standard

once again, i hope you're one of the first to enjoy in the first person the abilities of this flesh eater.

#3.

[edit on 18-7-2009 by billybob]

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Actually it's no different at all, the body is just being recycled for another use, tell me how it is ok for nature to decompose a body that has been buried but it's not ok for a robot to deompose a dead body ?

that's right. it's not okay for a robot. robots have little to do with nature. nature is a proven life giver. robots are just toys made by humans, and could be programmed to end all life on earth. humans must be careful what they program robots to do.

I've always found it bizarre how people put so much fondess into a now empty vessel, once the spirit has left and gone to wherever it goes. Sure we can throw these vessels in the ground, burn them into ashes, cut them up for medical science but heaven forbid a metal robot comes along and eats them up.

it is not the dead that are important in this pandora's box. it is the living.

I'd rather have an army of robots fighting my wars so I do not see fellow countrymen lose their lives.

so if 9 million robots destroy 9 million enemy robots, how does that change anything human? if you condone robots killing people, you condone dying yourself at the 'hands' of this automated human elimination machine.

The question is though, what happens when both sides have these mechwarriors ? What will they eat if there's no dead soldiers ? I guess we could airdrop livestock to keep them fueled up and battle ready.

brilliant.

[edit on 18-7-2009 by billybob]

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   

If I was a military commander and I had a choice of sending 1,000 humans where say 20% will die and another 20% to 30% get injured or I can send an army of robots where maybe 70% will get wrecked but can be salvaged and rebuilt or at the very least replaced. What do you think I would choose ? What would YOU choose ?

your car ever break down? your computer ever behave erratically?

what make you think these flesh eating robots will always know who is 'good' and who is 'bad'? that is a hard decision for humans to make. sometimes, bad people need to be kept alive to save good people. nothing is black in white in the human world, but in the robot world, there is only black and white.

dead, alive, why would a hungry robot care?

i can't believe ANYONE thinks this is a good idea.

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join