It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Activists push ballot initiative to end state benefits for illegal immigrants and their U.S.-born ch

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Activists push ballot initiative to end state benefits for illegal immigrants and their U.S.-born children

www.latimes.com

The target: Illegal immigrants and their U.S.-born children who receive public benefits.

The plan: a California ballot initiative that would end public benefits for illegal immigrants, cut off welfare payments for their children and impose new rules for birth certificates.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
What do you think? Will it succeed this time?

The drive coincides with decisions in several states -- including Oklahoma, Colorado Virginia, Arizona and Georgia -- to curtail medical care, mortgage loans, homeless shelter relief and other benefits for illegal immigrants amid the national economic downturn.

Officials estimate that California's 2.7 million illegal residents account for $4 billion to $6 billion of the state's roughly $105-billion budget. Most of those costs are associated with schools, prisons and emergency healthcare.

"Are we going to continue asking taxpayers to pay for these services when the state is completely out of money?" asked Hilton, who first rallied against illegal immigration two decades ago.

Seems they learned a lesson from the doomed Prop 187

Backers say, however, that they have carefully crafted the measure to avoid the legal pitfalls that doomed Proposition 187, which would have barred illegal immigrants from receiving any public social services, education and nonemergency medical care. Voters approved it, 59% to 41%, but a federal judge ruled that the measure unconstitutionally usurped federal jurisdiction over immigration.

The new measure does not claim any state authority to regulate immigration, said Mike Hethmon, an attorney with the Washington-based Immigration Reform Law Institute who advised the initiative's authors. Instead, he said, it is based on federal authority delegated to the states to restrict access to benefits and verify applicants' eligibility.

www.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
That's nice they label them as "activists". Seems similar to "terrorists".

I 100% support not giving illegals public benefits. I do not support not giving a child born in the U.S. public benefits.

Their probably needs to be a faster way for illegals to become legal citizens but that is another issue.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi

I 100% support not giving illegals public benefits. I do not support not giving a child born in the U.S. public benefits.

Their probably needs to be a faster way for illegals to become legal citizens but that is another issue.

Why don't you support not giving a child born to illegals in the U.S. public benefits? I'm just asking, not arguing. I'm not sure I agree, enlighten me.

[edit on 14/7/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   

I 100% support not giving illegals public benefits.

Echo from the past: "I 100% support not giving blacks public benefits."......

Are we doomed to repeat ourselves? The arguments being made against illegals today are the same arguments which were made against blacks during the civil war.

Edit: The idea that someone is subhuman because of their citizenship is nonsensical.

[edit on 7/14/2009 by Choronzon]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Choronzon

Are we doomed to repeat ourselves? The arguments being made against illegals today are the same arguments which were made against blacks during the civil war.

Edit: The idea that someone is subhuman because of their citizenship is nonsensical.

Well Im from canada, and what you're implying is just getting rid of countries then? Let's have the US pay for everything, I say. Cause if i go to the states for handouts and don't get them I'm subhuman. I will cry, and give people a guilt trip, is what i'll do.

I mean, everyone knows the US is responsible for the entire world's well being.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Legal immigrants have no access to public welfare. When you immigrate to the US legally as a spouse, family member or other sponsored immigrant, your sponsor has to sign an affidavit that they will support you and you'll never become a public burden. If you ever try to apply for welfare or food stamps or any other public benefits, the bill goes directly to your sponsor.

I don't think they'll be rushing to get legal status anytime soon.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Choronzon

For one, the word that makes all the difference is "illegal". They came into this country illegally. Simple as that. This has nothing to do with race. These people came into the country illegally.

No they are not subhuman but that doesn't mean they can come into the country and sponge off of the taxpayers.

They broke the law. Simple as that.

Good job trying to play the race card though.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Choronzon

Uh, no they aren't.

CITIZENS pay taxes to aid other CITIZENS of the U.S. I don't care if these benefits go to black, yellow, white, or orange people as long as they're U.S. citizens. I don't care if they're Mexican American or Asian American or any other variety of American AS LONG AS THEY'RE AMERICAN!!

I do not pay taxes to support every person on the planet.

You saying that it's the same thing as denying blacks benefits doesn't help black americans one bit and actually, illustrates YOUR racism.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
THERE ARE RULES!!!

Follow them if you want to be one of us. WE WILL WELCOME YOU IF YOU DO!!!

otherwise get out, and stop speeding,dui,hit and run without a license.

stop costing our country everything!

stop bringing in people who hate us to begin with!

stop stealing peoples jobs!

stop changing our language to something other than what it was originally intended to be!

if your country sucks so bad... FIX IT!

dont turn ours into yours!

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by mahtoosacks

If I could give you 20 stars I would.
It says it all.

We still have families that have a hard time feeding themselves, but if you break the law you get an easy ride...............

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Hoooray! THE ANCHOR BABY CRAP HAS GOT TO GO!!! A child born in the US should have to have at least one citiizen parent in order to be a citizen. Otherwise they should have the citizenship of their parents.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman

Why don't you support not giving a child born to illegals in the U.S. public benefits? I'm just asking, not arguing. I'm not sure I agree, enlighten me.

[edit on 14/7/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

I'm not sure I was clear on that statement with the double negative. What I meant is if a child is born in the U.S. they should be a U.S. citizen and should get full rights. If you are born here you are not illegal, according to our law. Our law is what I base my views on, not my own personal beliefs.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
If you make sure these children grow up with no schooling, no free medical care and no sense of belonging, how many would you expect to grow into productive citizens and how many will become thieves, pimps and drug-pushers?

America pays, either way.
Its cheaper to pay for their basic healthcare and education.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   

I do not think anyone accused slaves of taking away their jobs.

Neither do I think that slaves were importing drugs into neighborhoods.

Neither were slaves having shootouts between rival gangs on freeways and city streets.

Neither were slaves getting people's children addicted to methamphetamine and then turning the children into thieves and prostitutes to support their habits.

Slaves did not steal people's identities and defraud the welfare system.

Slaves did not invade peoples homes to steal and take hostages.

Slaves did not hold other slaves hostage in drop houses while extorting money from their relatives.

Slaves did not send hundreds of millions of dollars a month out of the United States to fund the Mexican mafia.

Slaves did not have a state military which entered the United States illegally to cause death and mayhem at the behest of the Mexican mafia.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I think this will be happening around Europe soon, people becoming scared and standing up more to what they believe and they dont want money wasted.

But lets remember its not the Illegals fault its the governments.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
America is generous to a fault. Would Americans get benefits if they were to illegally immigrate to the nations these illegal immigrats are coming from? If not it would be hypocritical to criticize them. Anyway I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed but Americans aren't exactly rolling in cash these days.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

As valid a point as that is, and it is, if we take away the incentive to be here at all, they'll (hopefully) stop coming.... and maybe even go back! or attempt to gain status as a legal immigrant!

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
The thing that ails America the most these days is we always want to treat the symptom and never the problem.

That is in part due to bad government but government really is a reflection of the people.

Why are there illegal immigrants? Because Americans will illegaly hire them, to save a buck, to make a buck, to steal a buck or what ever you want to call it.

We have long had the technology to ascertain if someone is truly a citizen and illigble to work. We seldom if ever enforce it. Not on the part of government not on the part of citizens.

When is the last time anyone posting on this thread walked out of a restaurant and refused to give them your business because you suspected someone undocumented was working there? Or asked your lawn crew or baby sitter for documentation?

We keep looking to government to save us all from our own lack of common sense and all government really hears from the people is we have no common sense so why should they opperate with common sense?

We all create and condone the market for illegal alliens, and we can all vilianize the illegals and the government and cry all day long but it's like any other thing...if you build it, they will come, and we have built a market for cheap menial labor that pays so little no one who seeks a quality American lifestyle can afford to do those jobs, yet we all want someone to do those jobs, and we all have excuses as to why those jobs have to pay so little.

Nothing ever changes but for the worse in America because we have a disease that we only ever try to treat the symptoms of, the disease is not illegal immigration, the disease is no common sense.

If everyone enforced the labor laws (and that does mean you) there would not be an illegal immigration problem.

The cure for stupidity is common sense.

This is another solution that lacks common sense. It's just another poorly thought out reactionary way to treat the symptoms of lacking common sense.

We are our own worst enemies.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Totally off base on that one. Slaves were not people they were property. How can the government give rights to those who enter our country illegally? It's like some one breaking into your house and making themselves at home watching your tv eating your food. What would you do? A. call the authorities B. Ask them what they wanted for dinner Its so sad how those poor people live in Mexico
It's not like our society doesn't have enough problems with it's legal citizens. Lets not deal with real issues, lets make useless laws like no texting and driving or what ingredients can go into food!
Before we can do anything to help others we need to take care of our problems at home!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join