It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greatest Rock N' Roll Frontman of All Time??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Okay. I was just thinking about this & I'm also curious to (ATS/BTS) member opinions.

Simple question. Who (in your opinion) is the greatest Rock N' Rock frontman of all time?
& Why?

I thought about it, and my answer. Axl Rose. *gonna catch some heat for this* but yes. That's my answer.

In my lifetime, atleast, he's made the biggest impression on me.
When Guns N' Roses were in their prime (Appetite for Destruction) I truly don't think any frontman did it better. He was a nut! That high pitch voice!
Great live shows......
The girls the booz....the drugs the legendary parties they threw like when they were riding Harleys in the hallways of hotels.....etc......the whole package gives Axl Rose my vote.
Again......only when he was in his prime.......then sh*t got to his head.....and he started making videos where he jumps off aircraft carriers and swimming with dolphins.....

So yeah....in his prime. Axl.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben Niceknowinya

Robert Plant. Just my opinion, but I think he was the best frontman of all time.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
There are two (IMO) and I praise them equally as music God's. They did it to the fullest.

#1 Robert Plant

&

#2 James Douglas Morrison

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Well, I'm going with Elvis...

The man owned the stage.

My mum said she saw the Doors live and Morrison was drunk off his ass, but the band were good.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Quite a few have come and gone...different decades, different mood etc. Bob Plant has been mentioned...Jagger, Daltrey, Tyler, Bruce, Mercury? Never liked Kiss, but fair dues to Simmons too.

I'm going for Hendrix on this one...instead of posting a video that shows him in his crazy glory, here's one of him and the boys just chilling out.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I have to go with Jim Morrison also...

Already been posted but great minds think alike.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
See, now this is one of those questions that I think men and women would answer totally differently for obvious reasons...

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Jim Morrison is a definate contender, but for me Joe Strummer took some beating but for sheer on stage presence it has to be John Lydon.

Having seen literally hundreds of bands live I can only say the couple of times I've seen The Pistols he held thge audience in the palm of his hand and completely controlled them.

I would thoroughly recommend his autobigraphy 'No Blacks, No Dogs, No Irish' for anyone who wants to find out a little bit of truth about this uniquely talented individual.

Quite bizarrely I think a honoury mention should go to Freddie Mercury, I like early Queen but they got a bit too tame etc for me but Freddie was the consumate showman and perfect frontman.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Interesting point you make there Moderator...

Greatest female frontwoman I've seen was Jarboe - she's goddamn terrifying, like a force of nature.

Dammit, it's so hard to find any decent live stuff of her - if anyone likes it check out the song "Mother/father" by Swans, guess where PJ Harvey comes from. Jarboe also did a great collaboration album with Neurosis. Although, gotta say Patti Smith gets a very honourable mention.

If anyone loves Tom Waits - check out this thread...

www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Well, who is your pick? Curious minds would like to know.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Number 1
Plant tied with BON SCOTT baby
!!! Acker Dacker

mcartney/lennon

Jagger tied with Freddy who rocked his arse off (literally) when performing

Honorable Mentions
Agree Axl was amazing (if slightly insane), I'll add BOBO from U2, even if he is a bit of a clown nowadays.

Sting-police
Anthony Keidis Chilli's
Prince
Steve Tyler-aerosmith
Blondie
Peter Gabriel was ok
Iggy pop
Kurt Cobain
A little embarrases to say but performed like a she devil David lee roth
Hendrix
MArley
Whacko with the jackson 5
Diana ross (supremes)

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
The one, the only, Mick Jagger. With Freddy Mercury a close second. Honorable mention goes to the following: Robert Plant, Jim Morrison, and Patti Smith, with Tom Waits there as well.

You could swap 'em around in any order you please, and I wouldn't care...

Rock and Roll gods, everyone of them.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Would be interested to hear a women's view Kos.

A man's opinion of great Rock 'N' Roll frontwoman;

Madonna.
Legendary, only seen her once live and that was a lot of years ago but she was very good, would love to see her again but just never got round to it.

Siouxsie Sioux.
Simply spell binding. Was a punk originator then helped create the whole Goth genre and excellent live. Still producing quality music.

Maybe suprisingly for some my perfect front woman was Nico.
She simply had that mystical 'something' that enchants me.
A woman who achieved much, but little recognition.
She just mesmerises me.
She was what she was and is sorely missed by some of us.

Honourably mentions for Janis Joplin, her voice was unbelievable.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
You guys give me too much credit. Make no mistake, I'm not speaking in terms of equality or the very high-minded ideal that a woman can rock just as hard as a man, though they certainly can.

I was very poorly alluding to the overall sex-appeal that comes with such a commanding performance, leather pants and all. Unfortunately, it can be persuasive in my decision making...so I cast my vote with Michael Hutchence of INXS for my own personally biased and obviously pervy reasons.

As far as just feeling the music he is singing just as much as the crowd, I'd have to pick Eddie Vedder.

But I'll also agree with Plant and Mercury. And although I love PIL, Lydon just scares the hell out of me but he is a masterful performer. Mesmerizing because you're were never really sure what he would do.

For the ladies, I think Dolores O'Riordan is an amazing singer, though I've never seen a live performance, video or otherwise. Siouxsie Sioux - absolutely. You can't take your eyes off of her when she performs. But for girl guitar rock, you can't beat Liz Phair's Exile in Guyville.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
David Lee Roth.

Total showman. I saw him both when he was with Van Halen in the old days and when he first broke out on his own and he is a very entertaining frontman.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

If we're showing powerful female frontmen...Patti Smith can rock a gig. I only heard her last year and this is class...

Janis Joplin is top of my list since being a kid.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Greatest. I'm not even sure what that means. I've got one nobody's ever heard of. Back in the 70s he fronted a band back in Bloomington, IN (college town) called Pure Funk. The band eventually became Roadmaster. To this day, I've never had as much fun or been as entertained at any show regardless of the price, as I was by that band. Free concerts in the dorms, free concerts outside, frat parties, bars, etc. They were all about a good time.

The front man went by the name of Adam Smasher. Real name, Asher Benrubi. This guy was a Force of Nature.

His son Abraham is an actor, and is frequently seen on ER playing the front desk guy, Jerry.

Adam Smasher, baby. Funny thought, based upon this opinion, Axl Rose and David Lee Roth aren't even the top guy from Indiana!! By the way, John Mellencamp would be #2 from Indiana. Rose & Roth are probably somewhere in the top 10 though.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Too many possiblities

Lennon/McCartney (they were both technically frontmen)
Ozzy Osbourne
Morrisey
Susie Sioux (or however you spell it)
Roger Daltry
Sting
Jack Black
Jimmy Hendrix
Kurt Cobain
Bob Marley

these are definately some of the best though!

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Paul Stanley is the greatest frontman for me.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c6f82aa11250.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

Now that's just about the least surprising thing I've heard today...

Nope, I am genuinely shocked...

KISS Army rules!!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join