It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar energy made sexy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Yes I know I'm bragging, but I'm way past my prime so why not. I just filed a patent on a transparent solar cell. It can be used as a window. And since it sucks up UV radiation even slows fading of furniture, carpets, etc. Think of all the office towers we have. I'm so happy, I could just ****. You get the idea.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
very cool! post pics when you can!

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Nice one, I am quite surprised that this idea hasn't been patented already!

Now it is time to get a functional concept model, business plan, and investments! Get in on some of the government money, and your golden.

When I saw your post I thought of "Scotty" giving away the formula for "transparent aluminum" in Star Trek 4. Just because something doesn't sound like it can be done doesn't mean it can't.

[edit on 13-7-2009 by infolurker]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by arbiture

awesome! so do you need a beta tester in Australia? *hint*

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Congrats!! its been a while since i have seen anything interesting enough to make me actually sign on. so are you going to start marketing and selling these things? You should definitely post pics!!! If it works well enough, i think these should be like everywhere!

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Cool bro!..Congrats.

Im totally not sure, but I believe something along those lines have been produced already though. Maybe it is something different. I could be wrong, but I remember reading something about window solar panels. I hope I am wrong and everything goes through! Good luck!

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
one thing for sure...

you should probably wait until the patent office gives you an official patent number or something, because simply filing is not official...

and take it from me. simply sealing an idea and mailing it to yourself does not hold up.

also, i have a similar prototype in the works

i wont be so quick to post anything til it works and i have heard back from the patent office with the paper work (usually takes 6-8 weeks, i should be hearing back before august!!)

good luck!

_A

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Wow man this is amazing!

Great work.

Is it translucent enough that it could be used in the side windows of automobiles and other modes of public transport?

Solar roof + solar windows = Me off the grid when it's time to build a house.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I'm not sure how different your design idea is, or yours wx4caster, but there seems to already be a few companies already with this concept.

Hope these don't burst anyone's bubble. Maybe you are one of the people described here.

Transparent Solar Cells Made For Windows
Transparent Solar Windows Set to Energize Homes
Transparent plastic solar cells fitted into windows
Transparent Solar Windows

[edit on 14-7-2009 by Wolf321]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
while i am not sure as to how the OP plans to create solar windows, the main obstacle for makin this work is te limited availablilty of efficient translucent photoelectric material, not to mention the filaments, wires, and cleaning, care etc.

the idea is possible, even plausible, and even likely. the only problem is being able to produce appreciable levels of current.

the concept on the other hand, makes solar energy more "chique" and much more appealing than large and obtuse structures attatched to your roof

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

nope, i amnone of the linked individuals, but my idea is more along the lines of keeping operating costs for churches down while keeping the beauty of thier structures! (hint hint)

great links tho!

-A

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchZEITGEISTnow

awesome! so do you need a beta tester in Australia? *hint*

Holding off on overseas beta-testing at this point. I know lots of people down there, (including some related very distantly). I also went to school in Sydney, fell in love with the place. But will let you know. (I really do keep notes if someone tries to get hold of me)

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wolf321
I'm not sure how different your design idea is, or yours wx4caster, but there seems to already be a few companies already with this concept.

Hope these don't burst anyone's bubble. Maybe you are one of the people described here.

Transparent Solar Cells Made For Windows
Transparent Solar Windows Set to Energize Homes
Transparent plastic solar cells fitted into windows
Transparent Solar Windows

[edit on 14-7-2009 by Wolf321]

Your right a lot of people have thought of this in concept, but building a PV cell that can take the rigors of a high rise requires thin film, very flexible design, light weight, and the capacity to some extent to repair themselves. (would you want to go up and fix it?). This idea came from looking at self-cleaning windows. Still have a way to go on that one.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by GioTheGreek
Wow man this is amazing!

Great work.

Is it translucent enough that it could be used in the side windows of automobiles and other modes of public transport?

Solar roof + solar windows = Me off the grid when it's time to build a house.

In time, it will have minimum effects of the visual spectrum. (Its pretty good right now, if your just looking at/through it) PV cells of all kinds exploit the UV spectrum. Thats as far as biology is concerned, a very harsh place to be. Stage four where I'm at now is looking at taking advantage of the thermal range of the IR. With the lower frequency of the IR, you have larger pressed in or on componants. That means weight.

The big concern I have are shear forces, really when you start to hit 25-30 stories, it's rough up there and thats just normal expansion/contraction on a nice clear day, not a force 3 hurricane. I did not know this untill we started testing, but the polymer componants prevent a spray of glass from hitting you if the window shatters. Its just more expensive then duct tape, for now.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by wx4caster
while i am not sure as to how the OP plans to create solar windows, the main obstacle for makin this work is te limited availablilty of efficient translucent photoelectric material, not to mention the filaments, wires, and cleaning, care etc.

the idea is possible, even plausible, and even likely. the only problem is being able to produce appreciable levels of current.

the concept on the other hand, makes solar energy more "chique" and much more appealing than large and obtuse structures attatched to your roof

Short of biochem. self cleaning windows, which is how this all started, this is not as weird as it may seem. Because these cells "fill in the gaps" if fractured. This is not for protection, but takes a broken, aka; window and provides some energy recovery. This does not prevent natural degradation from a window over time. High rise buildings usually have thick and very expensive windows, they are protected buy the brute force you only get from thickness, aka: density. They also flex some what. Often they incorporate a polymer "shatter proof" film, you don't get the "Ginzu effect", meaning slice and dice, so you don't get shredded. Part of that is the basis of auto-safety glass. But not as often in high-rise buildings, just to expensive.. Many incorporate some "anti-fade" film, also keeps the building cooler.

There is also as you very correctly point out the misserable loss of energy that has been the bane of efficiant solar cells based on silicon (or its evil twin gallium arsinide). Its a problem child because you need arsinic(spell?) to make it. (The GA cells). They have a "modest" increase in light-to-energy conversion because you can focus and increase solar energy onto GA cells, using a trough like lense. Unless you want to take advantage of the unavoidable thermal advantage, which I would look at if I was working with GA cells, forget it, unless its in space, at least today. I am working on using IR for my own product Yet I have said I want to take advantage, if I worked with GA cells on an experimental basis, to improve my technology. But then we have that very nasty damn arsenic... My goal is simple, absorb the maximum energy from all frequencies, with out negative contamination effects, disposal, etc.

The last want to comment on is your comment about wires, large componants, other unsightly things. Example: regular glass has many imperfections, not to mention birds, we usually don't see the effects. Diameter is every thing, but other factors apply. You don't even need a physical connection between two points if dealing with a two-dimentional plane. Give you a hint on how it works; think of a all the radio/MW, etc energy floating around. To exploight this, I have some ideas, but unless your staring down an F-22 radar,(very bad idea), the ambiant energy from RF/MW frquencies is just to diffuse.

Some of this information remains PAT pending, and some is classified, so I can not yet discuss it in open media everything I would love to. At 5',7" and 120lbs, I have VERY LITTLE to bragg about. So I take what I can get... We'll talk soon.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by zooplancton
very cool! post pics when you can!

As far as pictures, it rolls up like a VERY thin plastic sheet. It also is designed to "snap back" to its basic 2D shape, this for impact and torsion resistance. Other then that it looks pretty boring, like glorified plexiglass perhaps?. It just costs more, and like duct tape I am working very hard to get the price down. It just does not look very cool, but I will check with my lawyers to see what they say. (To show it's true ability, a video would be MUCH better. To show it's true structure, some simple demonstrations are needed, and for that you need a video, no question).

But in at least some ways, I think we have some things in commen, I want proof. On a window you can catch it in the light, and sometimes get a SMALL rainbow like effect. But for very cool, even a red spectrum laser with in the visable spectrum, (like a pointer), will to take advantage of one of the basic technologies, which is to refract and reflect light to make maximum use of any, including the UV, and soon IR spectrum which I have and will target. It is so neat ( I am easily amused), because you have laser beams that are just distorted, others "stuck" between the micro-sandwhich that makes maximum use for energy absorbtion. You just got to see a video.

The total film as applied or incorporated is ultra-thin, which does produce some cute optical effects. Its also very strong, short of a few minor problems. In time you can incorporate this into shingles, siding, hell rain gutters. You want a material you can not see, and may in the future even permits air flow in/out of a house, office, whatever. You can in theory even incorporate sensor technology into this. Not long ago we had a major bridge in Minneapolis hit the river. If the whole damn bridge was a sensor, it would be very hard to miss much...

Sorry to drone on, but this and other kind of stuff makes me want to get up in the morning, and pays well. (Don't know which is better?. Il let you know).

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I have a semi transparent solar cell on my motorcycle windshield to keep the battery charged. They have been out for a while. Saw some huge commercial ones last year at a show.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
dang, I've had this idea for years, just no know how on where to begin...I'm a psych major, not an engineer lol.
Imagine making all the windows on a skyscraper into solar panels...the amount of energy it'd save would be incredible!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by wx4caster
reply to post by Wolf321

nope, i amnone of the linked individuals, but my idea is more along the lines of keeping operating costs for churches down while keeping the beauty of thier structures! (hint hint)

great links tho!

-A

I support keeping the price for every one down, with out fouling their or anyones nest. My guess, I know their are exceptions, is to offer a product that a congration with very limited dollars can afford. Spending your money on something like I've come up with I know has to fit with the design of your church, and not cost like its Fermi Lab, nor can it look like Fermi Lab. Defeats the whole purpose.

The whole idea producing a product that fits in with what you want is to make the technology invisible. (I diden't want to say "tranparent" again). How? Lets give an example. Lets say you have or want a home that comes from American colonial period, or 1920's, it's up to you... You also have become fond of central heat, HDTV, and toilets that flush. Also a fridge/freezer, mabey a security system, and in time a home (or church) that repairs and cleans itself

I went through a beautiful home near Washington, DC about a year ago. The kitchen was more or less circa 1980. The furnace had been kept together with bailing wire since (hang on), 1919. The main rooms were small because the other homes were right up next to this homes outer wall. Please understand I am NOT an interior decorator, I have NO fashion sense what so ever. I also in a closet found two mice who I swear were big enough to vote, scared me to death, this big boy went screaming out of the house. An honest reaction despite my total lack of dignity.

I was told by several with a lot of experience with really old homes (this place built in 1866)(1: just gutt it,start over or (2: burn it down and take a tax loss. My first concern was to evaluate its structural integrity of both the support structural. Then the basic walls/floors,then technology with out anyone knowing anything was going on. That was hard to know its even there. Right now with great caution, I have designed what is more or less is paint, that "soakes" wall, joints, and does it with out damage to the material. This would take many months, but is non-toxic, soakes in from the outside wall in. Having no artistic/decorating and I mean NO talant in this area, my first concern was of course safety. It will take a year requiring some exotic molecular-pattern re-engineering, biggest of the whole bunch is to even make it stronger.

The whole concept is change every thing with out being toxic or breaking the bank. I am writing a text-book, mabey a few will find interestring. The EASY PART does noy involve structural reintergration, as mentioned above. The rest is simple. It just incorporates, thats the hard part, don't mean to brag, but the rest is to very straight-forward/ It uses technology so intergrate. As I said invisible technology means jus As I mentioned id a previous comment, comsider the following For your HDTV, your wall paper becomes your, HDTV, how big/small depends on what you like. Off, it becomes, again thats up to you prefer. is anything, sorry no holograms yet, On a two dimensional Its all based on basic though though very small ultra-microsensonsors. and because your looking through it, short of the best optical microscope. Then we have whats been around a long time, a draw thats a fridge/freezer. the same can appley to basic technology of this type, waht I find very interesting ist adapting it to any technology.

Anouther area is to intergrate anything you need any applience in such a manner it is designed to as "invisible as is possible". That can be done to any system be or less more effect. I think the best idea when it will be ready First a total sensor, advanced sensor such as alarms, etc The concept would paint, more or less is if a "bleed off" of the inner wall skin of of a hose is to safely suppress fire, working up from there. Another idea is to soak-up smole or carbon monoxide, etc.

Although I do not yet have a distrubor/s, one of goals is to chose some one who will follow ideals. Selling at cost to placies of worship, community centers, schools, and others per etem'. I hope I'm around long enough to do this on my own, otherwise my will take care care of it. We are looking at about two years, based onbased on currend technical s

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
i wonder if ufo's use solar energy.

[edit on 16-7-2009 by moonwalk]

<<   2 >>

join