It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People who think they're smart in ATS...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I've seen that phenomenon a lot here. A certain poster posts their highly speculative theories, but otherwise, very interesting. A lot of people jumps to conclusions, but otherwise accepts the theory.

Someone who actually had experience in the field jumps in and makes factual remarks based on expertise and expertise and gets ignored

Deny ignorance, shall we??!!

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

I think it is probably due to the nature of the site. People want to hear the bizarre and far out theories. I think they like to let their imagination run a little and use this place as a bit of an escape. When experts come in and show them that the world isn't quite as crazy as they hoped, they ignore it in favor of the more exciting / fantastic theories.

Just my $.02

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
As someone who fits that description by posting many speculative theories, here is my response assuming I am the poster in question:

Everything we know right now started out as its own little theory. These theories were constructed by gathering information AND by questioning established "information". If no one questioned the "experts" of the past, we'd never get anywhere as a species. Thats not to say that any question to a current held belief is valid nor does that state that anybody who qualifies as an expert on a topic is inherently wrong.

As someone who posts these theories, I value the feedback from someone who is more than likely more familiar with the information that I am discussing. I'd love nothing more than an expert to crush one of my theories with undeniable fact as that would help me understand the topic better and lead me in a different direction with it.

I feel that I must be able to explain something in my own words before I can truly understand it. This leads to me sometimes arguing with someone about something they agree with me on

Its not about what you think you know, its about what you think someone else can prove which then entitles you to say "See I told you so".

My response under the impression that I am not even remotely the poster in question:

Generally speaking, people might tend to agree with the popular albeit far more out there theory. I say any incoming type of theory should be welcomed (within reason). You have to know everything that is wrong before you can truly know what is right.

Do you know how boring this site would be if everyone agreed on the same point of view and just rehashed it over and over? This is a conspiracy site, that in itself attracts people that tend to have strong views regardless of whether or not they can be classified as experts. That also involves a great deal of speculation.

Everytime I log on to this web site, there is something that makes me think "Wow, I didn't know that but now I'm glad I do" and something else that makes me think "That poster is out of their mind" while getting a good laugh in the process. Thats part of the fun of this place IMO.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eitimzevinten

Do you know how boring this site would be if everyone agreed on the same point of view and just rehashed it over and over?

It's one of what I'm ranting about in this thread. Just when someone posts a speculative theory that is potentially popular, everyone excited with half-baked knowledge jumps in happily thinking it could be true without reason. Very little debates actually goes on, if there is, usually between two or three individuals.

It's almost like everyone's agreeing on the same page. I'm an avid science researcher but I'm still very open-minded in many respects. I believe that everything is possible unless otherwise proven and all options have failed. I just don't usually just drop or accept an idea without rigoruous research or at least a thought experiment about it, and it doesn't take an instant like most posters here do. It takes a bit of time and some (mental) effort.

And that's what I'm mad about. It could be okay that one person is ignorant. But when they post and say things they don't really understand, they could set an example for others to follow....

[edit on 14-7-2009 by ahnggk]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

Everyone agreeing without question to a new "out-there" theory is just as unproductive as everyone agreeing to an established theory that may have some holes in it (within reason). Thats a legitimate beef you have. I agree that just falling in-line with someone else is pretty much not thinking at all. I don't know how I missed that the first time I read your post. Must be the hour.

If someone agrees with someone else, they should atleast have one point they differ on. Addressing the point of contention can only strengthen a theory as it might correct inherent errors. I like to defend my views and theories. A great way to do that is to actually look at what the other side of the argument is.

There I can see what they have that I simply cannot accept due to my current standing which I must then somehow disprove and things that might be beneficial to consider as it may be part of a bigger pattern we were both previously unaware of. I honestly don't see the point of just agreeing to a theory without questions. If you honestly agree with it, then you should try to add your bit of input to it. I'd find it boring to just agree with everything one way or the other.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Eitimzevinten

You've pointed it out more clearly than I did, thank you!

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Good thread and good answers. Shame not many others are active.

new topics

top topics

join