It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids fake UFO. Learn from this.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+31 more 
posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
If this has been posted already, move it or remove it thanks~

www.denverpost.com...

This is a short article written by the father of two children who decide to make a 'ufo' by reflecting a flashlight onto a glass pane then uploading it to youtube.

A few funny quotes from the article-

Their fake UFO video was so convincing that it was picked up by the Paranormal Network. Shortly after, another UFO site copy-and-pasted the video, and another, and then even a foreign-language site calling itself UFO Video Italia. Somebody else somehow stretched the 18-second clip into a two-minute epic, complete with ultra-slow-motion zooms and dramatic backing vocals that seemed to come from a strange marriage of Jerry Bruckheimer and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

Some viewers pronounced the video as conclusive proof of the existence of extraterrestrials. Others denounced it as a fake, but with impressive and elaborate CGI imagery.

So this was done with no thought at all by a few kids.
What about the attention addicted adults who put more thought and time into this?
Why do we give attention here at ATS to even the most obviously fake drivel, or to things which cannot be proven whatsoever. ( I'm looking at you, self proclaimed aliens and reptilians )

And those who are quick to debunk videos such as these are called ignorant of the PTBs coverup and a nonbeliever ( Sounds like a cult doesn't it ).

I hope someday ATS becomes a site of high standards whereby we can discuss topics without being so quick to anger when someone disagrees with us. But that seems to be a problem with culture in general these days, so my hopes aren't too high.

Anyway, read the article and learn from it. Because this happens here all the time.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I like how in the end it appears like its going into the clouds.
Would have fooled plenty of ATSrs for sure

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Personally, I am a big fan of videos capture by NASA (if that makes sense). There are some really convincing STS videos that go way beyond my skepticism.

However, on the flipside, I truly despise those "home-made videos". While many are convincing, we have to admit to ourselves that *man lies* and will continue to lie to gain personal or public attention.

This is a pure example for the true, hard core believers to adhere to. Not everything you see is true, despite whatever website might have brought it for your viewing pleasure.

Deny Ignorance!

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Thanks for the flags, I'm hoping alot at ATS read this article. It should be compulsory reading upon membership!

There are sometimes good ufo vids which warrant closer examination of course. And straight from NASA vids are also always good.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Awesome, great kids too... I really hope they're getting more access to that video camera, we've got a couple of young James Camerons'. I used to terrify my babysitters as a kid by doing special make-up effects, like a bone poking out my arm with blood and stuff.

It's easily done and a shame so much stuff gets heated on here sometimes, it's a pain with people creating fakes, but you've gotta see the other side, I live with a couple of film students and they're constantly working to make the unreal look real or at least good - not that they do UFO stuff, but if you're into making films then you want to do the best you can.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Yeah, this just makes me sick. This is one of the problems with ufology today, it's so attractive for attention seekers to make fake videos and revel in the trip of suckering believers. We, as a community(not just ats but every alternative website) need to really start crackin down on this kind of bull. thoroughly investigate videos, stop accepting youtube unless it's shot and uploaded in HD, really check out the people who are uploading this stuff, not take every slightly goodlooking video at face value proclaiming "ABSOLUTE PROOF, TAKE THAT SKEPTIC SCUM!!! YOU'RE SOOOOOOO WRONG!" and really actually use our brains.

Wishes and hopes are great, but they aren't reality. we really need to stop feeding idiots like jaime moussan(sp?) who will sell any ufo vid as absolutely true to the idiot masses, and reign in all this craziness so that when a good case comes along, it isn't just swept aside with a snide remark.

another great thing just to make our forums better, would be to quit with the weekly, believers vs skeptic threads and the call out for duels " skeptics debunk this, or that". it's idiotic and never makes anything better for either side. and really there's shouldn't be sides, we all want to know what this stuff is, we should be more civil.

/end rant and slightly offtopicocity

sorry op lol my point is in there somewhere i promise

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jokei

Yeah I can understand that side for sure.

But if I were into those kinds of things, i would certainly proclaim my work to be fake. If i really wanted to know if i could fool people with my work, I would set up a small 'real/fake' test on my website.

I even point the finger towards groups who make crop circles.
People say it's an art and it's beautiful etc. But I don't see many claiming work as their own. And the ones who do, often make pretty crap circles.
The better circle makers don't seem to claim credit because they enjoy fooling people.

I used to believe in crop circles, but now i'm more on the fence because I don't know what's real anymore.

Theres lots of ways to have people appreciate your work and to measure skill.

The article and my point in posting it aimed towards people doing things for fun, or with malicious intent.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by jokei
Awesome, great kids too... I really hope they're getting more access to that video camera, we've got a couple of young James Camerons'. I used to terrify my babysitters as a kid by doing special make-up effects, like a bone poking out my arm with blood and stuff.

What the heck are you talking about? This type of rubbish is insiduous to UFOlogy. Sure it helps people realize that it's easy to fake UFO videos (as if we didn't already know this), but it also harms the integrity of the subject and the credibility of the people who have had genuine experiences and taken authentic footage, like myself.

Thank god it only looked real up until it ascended off into the clouds.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Ats was pretty good before
its still good. But now a days it is filled with some douchebags.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Personally i can't understand how people could be tricked into thinking it's a ufo when it's obviously a reflection off the window, bad acting included. I mean you could see the window frame at the beginning of the video.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by avat178
Personally i can't understand how people could be tricked into thinking it's a ufo when it's obviously a reflection off the window, bad acting included. I mean you could see the window frame at the beginning of the video.

And that's what seems to pass for discussion these days.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Yeah, the frauds really pi$$ me off, because it just discredits those who are sincere....

and believe me, the sincere are most likely the ones caught unawares WITHOUT a camera handy.... another pi$$ off.. MYSLEF included.

All of the hoaxers and fakes have to grow up and stop attention seeking before any real truths can be uncovered unfortunatly.....

and ummm YEAH, that didn't look ANYTHING like a UFO people!!!!!

[edit on 14-7-2009 by mellisamouse]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by mellisamouse
and ummm YEAH, that didn't look ANYTHING like a UFO people!!!!!

Yes, and that plus the fact it became an international incident speaks volumes to the gullibility of too many people ready to believe anything at the drop of a hat with only a crappy video for evidence.

You can't be too mad at them though, right? they're after all just little kids.

Still I think maybe 1% of reports are hoaxes, the other 99% have really seen something, though in most cases they don't know what they saw.

Thanks for sharing this, it's one of my favorite posts on ATS so far!

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   
This is the problem with footage today. Any one of them could be faked and sometimes it's extremely hard to tell. Photorealism has been acieveable for some time now so providing you have a certain amount of skill you can fool just about anyone. It's such a shame because not only does it send people on a wild goose chase but it also discredits any real footage out there. The rule I usually follow is if it looks too good to be true then it probably is. The most convincing footage for me are those that were taken decades ago before this software existed.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 06:21 AM
link   
This is a good example why average people don't take these things seriously. Even a 10 year old kid can make a hoax that will fool many believers.

Skepticism is not something you should be ashamed of.

Originally posted by T0by
But I don't see many claiming work as their own.

The makers don't calim the good ones because that would kill the magic.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I completely disagree with the newspaper article.

These 'kids' (if thats who they really are) did this on purpose, I have watched the video and I don't believe anyone would say that this is complete proof of et activity.

The way the camera pans in and out IMO was not a random act by 'kids' messing with a camera this was added to show the panoramic view of the landscape in order to create a perspective.

I believe that this was made in order to convince the viewers that they are watching ia UFO and therefore, creating a purpose hoax.

Whether it was done as a random act because they were bored I beg to differ. Looks like a touch of editing to me?

On a seperate note I cannot see anyone on this site being fooled by this video.

[edit on 14-7-2009 by franspeakfree]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
One of the biggest problems with ufology (?) is those who want so badly to believe that they see any footage, no matter how crappy or fake looking(like the one in this story), and automatically label it as extraterrestrial. This footage, with the intentional turning of the camera and the zooming in and out just screamed fake to me.

I was into paranormal research for a while and the same problem exists there. There are some who look objectively and try to determine what a particular phenomena might be, even if it turns out to be mundane. Then there are some who take things which are obviously NOT paranormal and try desperately to prove it is, ruining their credibility along with others in the field.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
This was here the other morning

it didn't fool too many of us =)
But it does show what can happen, and probably does, often.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
One thing to consider is that these were kids. They were kids, with no CGI training, access to Windows Movie Maker, and probably minimal experience in operating a camera.

And they made something that, for all intents and purposes, looks like an actual aerial phenomenon. That's pretty incredible. Now think about photos like the drones, and even older UFO pictures. If two elementary-school aged children can put something like this together, what can a grown man/woman, group of grown individuals do with graphic experience, a degree, etc?

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
While I believe Mark Obmascik to be sincere, shouldn't the veracity of this article be checked before it's taken at face value?

So his two sons were naughty and posted a fake UFO-video on youtube. It fooled everyone, how embarassing.

That's basically all he says. What I want to know is; how was it made? With a "$99 camera and a $4.88 light from Wal-Mart" yes I know, but how?

Guess what, I checked the entire Wal Mart catalogue for circular, floor/table/wall/desk lamps, landscape lighting, LED lamps, the lot, and came up with nothing that resembled that in the video, at that price.

But that doesn't mean he's wrong, I guess.

How was the video made? Was the circular light superimposed? In that case, I'm sure a video expert can see it from afar.

Could someone with some skills go at it?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join