It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress Authorized CIA to Develop Secret Al Qaeda Plan, Former Official Says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Congress Authorized CIA to Develop Secret Al Qaeda Plan, Former Official Says

www.foxnews.com

Congress originally authorized the CIA to develop the secret counterterrorism program that is now drawing fierce criticism from House Democrats who say they were kept in the dark all along, a former senior intelligence official told FOX News on Monday.

. . .

"This was not a program. It never began," the former official said. "The authority was given by Congress to develop this idea. ... There was no need to brief it. It wasn't a reality."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
online.wsj.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Cheney asked CIA to hide plan from Congress

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
So this secret program that Cheney told the CIA to not give Congress details about was authorized by Congress, but hadn't actually been put into action according to this article. That, I think, is probably the most important part of this article. It was not something that was being used, it was basically nothing more than an idea they were kicking around.

Also according to the article:

Congress has a right to know everything the CIA does, but the president can by law limit those told about covert operations to just the top four members of the House and Senate from the two parties and the senior members of the intelligence committees.

I wasn't aware that the president could legally do that. So Cheney, if he was giving an order straight from Bush, may have been legally telling the CIA to not tell Congress everything. That would put a bit of a kink in Pelosi and crew's plans to blame it all on the CIA for not telling everyone everything wouldn't it?

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I'm not sure what this means. Did Cheney want to create a secret false flag terrorist group to further demonize Al-Qaeda and/or to advance the 'War on Terror?'

I know he has a secret team of assassins, but was he stopped from creating a terrorist group?

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

What this means is the whole thing is a diversion to take attention away from Pelosi who likely lied. Many want all the truth to come out on the Pelosi issue, even the accused want full disclosure. It could end her career and she is one of the insiders.

Pelosi figured she could tell any lie she wanted about the briefings as the meeting themselves are a matter of national security and she probably felt confident she could lie because the transcripts will never come out. Instead those she attacked said to disclose it all and let the chips fall. Now she is backed up against the wall and with her power, her flunkies are scrambling to divert attention. Reminds me of Nixon in fact.

Me, I want it all disclosed just like those she has apparently lied about want them disclosed. Stay tuned, this may bring down the mighty Pelosi from her throne before the final bell.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by star in a jar
I'm not sure what this means. Did Cheney want to create a secret false flag terrorist group to further demonize Al-Qaeda and/or to advance the 'War on Terror?'

I know he has a secret team of assassins, but was he stopped from creating a terrorist group?

exactly you and everyone else is not sure what it means.... here we go its monday its time for new pop culture media story to take place for a while .. while the big guy at the WH does w/e he does.....

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by star in a jar

It has nothing to do with a false flag terrorist group. It was a plan being worked on that would target and capture/kill Al Qaeda operatives and/or assassinate their leaders. It wouldn't have been something done out in the open, this would have been done quietly and we wouldn't have known a thing about it. The only thing Cheney had to do with it was telling the CIA not to brief Congress about the planning stages.

Both articles I linked say that Congress originally approved of the planning, they just weren't told anything else about it. According to that second bit I quoted the president is will within legal limits in telling the CIA to only brief the top four people from Congress and the heads of the intelligence committees. So if Cheney's order to keep quiet originally came from Bush, then it was completely legal and Pelosi doesn't have a leg to stand on.

top topics

join