It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Protect Your Mac

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I'm speaking specifically of laptops, here. Mine is a MacBook 13 White. But this applies for Airs, Pros, Unibodies, etc.

Step 1. Buy a keyboard protector. I use Moshi. It's hard to get used to at first, but you will be so glad you got it. Mine is clear, some brands make transluscent colored ones but are rumored to attract more hair and dust.

Step 2. Buy a wrist rest protector and trackpad protector. It prevents staining and can protect against dust and things. I use Moshi for this, too, but I only use the trackpad protection on the button. Anything on the actual touchpad impedes function but I just ordered a new brand, I'll let you know how it works. You can get colored ones from places like iSkin but I find that they leave a residue. Moshi does not leave a residue!!

Step 3. Buy a screen protector. I use one that I put inside my laptop between the keyboard and screen when I close it, to prevent the oils from my fingers and things from getting onto the screen.

Step 4. Accessorize. Buy a bag. Buy a Gelaskin. My Gelaskin is gorgeous. It's a tad scratched now but it's prevented my Mac from getting scratched instead! You can also get colored stickers to put over the apple logo to change the color of it. I didn't get one of those, but I might... I've had my laptop over a year. Gelaskin also makes cool stuff for iPods and some phones.

You could buy a good screen cleaner if you want. And there are screen protectors for the new Unibodies.

Protect your laptop FIRST, before something happens to it and you go "How do I cover up this stain/scratch/chip?"

Make sure you have a warranty. It's very good. They'll do adjustments and some replacements at no charge.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
wow.. thats a lot of work! impressive, not doing stuff like that is most likely why my laptops all broke.. i did keep them in a fancy laptop bag that was all , well airbags, like nike air bubbles but massive.. didnt really help much lol.

another good tip for prospective mac owners,dont get the really flat ones unless you have another pc with a working LAN post, as you may find some difficulty in setting up simple things like wireless ..

i must say though, as much of a pc junkie i am, mac's absolutely rule for wifi

sorry, im rabbling now lol... to much pc's in to little time

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   

There's my baby.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
So my trackpad protectors came, the Protech ones sold by the Apple store. They were fairly easy to put on, mine isn't exactly center but it's in the trackpad area. It looks fine really. But the color is off-white. More of a yellowish off white than a greyish off white. =(

But no need to worry about fingerprints and oil!!

top topics

join