It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just a little (but real) conspiracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
O K so I'll ask the learned brethren here at ATS a question that's been bothering me for a while.Why does it take me the same amount of time to pump $10.00 worth of gas as it did 20 years ago and yet I'm getting 1/4 of the gas?Think about it, when gas was $4 a gallon it took the same amount of time as it does at $2.5 and why in the world does it go so slow for the last $.50 its is infuriating!Is it to try to get us to use the credit cards?It sucks and I'm sick of it!.................any thoughts?

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I've learned a few things from lurking on ATS the past couple years....

One.. Follow the money

Two.. Everything is about profit.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I would guess that the pumps they used 20 years ago were much weaker and slower than the modern day fuel pump? Who knows... anyone here work in a station?

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by genius/idoit

With the ability to pump out 3-4 different grades and types of gas, the actual pumps inside are smaller, since each grade or fuel type needs its own pump. Add to that the fact that you now have all kinds of electronics inside. So in what used to be 2 simple mechanical pumps (one for each side), with one type of fuel, you now have 6-8 pumps (one for each grade or type per side), plus electronics in almost the same size pump housing.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Rook1545

OK but I'm not talking about ancient history here gas was $4 a gallon last year! And if I put in $10.00 say it takes 60 secs that's 2.5 gallons in 60 seconds ,now that it is down at $2.50 a gallon that's 4 gallons for$10.00 same sixty seconds I think it's because if they let the pumps pump at an even and equal rate your 4 gallons now take 60 seconds and if you extrapolate that out at $5 a gallon it would take 30 seconds and if it were to pump as fast as did when gas was $!(yes I remember that far back)$10.00 bought 10 gallons 10 gallons took 60 seconds now at $5 a gallon the 2 gallons its buys should pump in 12 seconds see what I mean?

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by genius/idoit

I hear what you are saying, but I think it is more perception. The higher the price, the more you pay attention to the display, the longer it takes. When prices are lower you pay less attention, so the faster it goes. Kind of like waiting for water to boil, if you watch it the pot seems to take forever, if you go off and do other things, it seems to boil right away. I will to bet that if you actually timed it with a stop watch, there would be no difference.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
At first I had no idea what you were talking about but now I know what you mean. Over here in the UK it costs about a pound a litre of deisel/petrol petrol (gas) being slightly cheaper, off the top of my head there is about 2.2 litres to the gallon so think yourselves lucky! we get well and truly ripped off to fill our tanks over here! But back on topic pumps work over here pump at the same rate though u can control it somewhat with the trigger, I defintley noticed at peak oil prices spending less time putting my usual £10 worth of fuel than before peak oil prices, also we have a counter which tells u how much fuel is being pumped for your cash. So no conspiracy there, however what is blatently obvious is that even when crude oil prices dropped dramatically at the start of the recession it took far to long for the services stations (even now) to cut there price respectively!

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Also, the unleaded nozzles are smaller than the old leaded fuel nozzles.

Most tanks now have smaller filler tubes and route sometimes almost 90 degrees before entering the tank with maybe other turns.

Todays also work in a closed pressurized system, notice the relese of pressure when tapping your filler cap?

If the fuel flowed faster, it would auto-kill the pump from backpressure.

That's what I think.

as far as pumps, I notice when someone is filling from other side, and same grade, the flow slows dramatically.

I would assume the pump is shared and the valve is opened and closed from the electronic switch when choosing grade, or when lifting nozzle/

[edit on 13-7-2009 by imd12c4funn]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
One of the reasons gas pumps are slower is that pump flow has been slowed down for untrained consumers.

The thinking is the general public can't handle the high flow rate pumps like experienced gas station personnel did.

A safety thing . . . in their eyes.

With all the gas station fires we have nowadays, it's obvious we need professionals back at the helm of the pumps.

Want to see a pump that really gets with the program?

Light aircraft refueling pumps really crank the fuel out.
Bigger lines, more pressure.

Makes sense when you realize some of the smaller planes hold as much as thirty gallons and light twins can hold in excess of 100 gallons.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Most likely, the pump is set to pump a specified price per second. So, when you pump $10 at $1.00 per gallon, it will take the same amount of time as pumping $10 at $2.50 a gallon.

One of the reasons for this is to give the customer a chance to view the advertising around the pumps. Around here, it's mostly tobacco products that are advertised at the pump, but when it gets hot, you will have ads for sodas and other drinks as well. The time it takes to pump the gas is a marketing tool.

top topics

join