It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Analysis: The next H-1B fight begins by Labor Day

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Analysis: The next H-1B fight begins by Labor Day

www.computerworld.com

WASHINGTON -- Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) plans to introduce a comprehensive immigration reform bill by Labor Day that seems certain to include a way to increase the H-1B cap.
By introducing the bill in the worse possible economic climate, and then citing Labor Day as his deadline for introducing it, you could almost argue that Schumer is egging on his opponents.

But that's not new for him. Among the people he has enlisted to help him is Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan, who testified this year at an immigration committee hearing that the cap protects U.S. workers from global com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.google.com
www.computerworld.com
www.google.com
www.computerworld.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Help kill H1B and stop 163000 high-paying American jobs from going to foriegners this year
Millions of US Jobs lost to H1b & H2b Visas

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I almost lost my lunch when I heard the Sir Alan Greenspan speaking the phrase "..., creating a 'privileged elite.' "

The idea of the temporary Visa for students and temporary foreign citizen employees was practicable in it's initial inception; but since has become another transnational corporate tool to increase profit at the cost of the economy upon which they prey.

I have no problems with people getting the jobs that they are qualified and capable of doing; nor am I against that person happening to be from another country. But I have PERSONALLY seen this system abused for reasons ranging from the corporate to the academic and it is as sickening as the abuse of welfare.

PS - As a New Yorker, I would like to say - Schumer you are a tool; please retire and let your corporate masters employ you openly. You already have health care for life, what more do you want?

www.computerworld.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

The entire H1B program has been a scam from the very beginning. As you pointed out, it is nothing more than another tool to allow corporations and other organizations to bypass labor laws, unions, and others, and to increase profits by decreasing the wage burden. As someone who had one foot in the business world, and the other in academia, I witnessed numerous atrocities as a result of H1B's.
How in God's name can anyone justify a SHORTAGE of skilled labor when U6 is hovering at 17%!?

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
It does beg the question; why promote the dilution of the job market by fostering the spread of labor like this?

One might think their objective was to destroy the American economy, not save it.

I know..., preposterous.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Yeah last time they tried to ``reform the immigration policies`` it was TOTAL AMNESTY of all illegal aliens and each of them could bring over 11 members of their family... and we only knew that because a congressman leaked the bill.

This is another fight that we must win or the US population will grow by 100 million in no time... when the economy is doing worse...

Then in 20 years, when there's another 15 millions illegals in because there's no border security... another amnesty... ect

[edit on 13-7-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I got bumped out of a very lucrative position at a research facility in DC by an H-1B contractor. They paid him 2/3rds of what I made and had no idea where to start with the program I worked 3 years to start. The Company made a modest profit after they fired him and got another H1-B. It took them another 2 years to figure out what was needed and i already had the entire project layed out. Not once was I consulted and I sure as hell didn't offer any assistance! This has happened to me twice in the last 30 years and I know others have had the same thing happen to them. Screw Schumer, he's a media whore with absolutely no scruples or honor!!

Zindo

top topics

join