Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

The Five Pillars of Obama's Foreign Policy

page: 1

join

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
The introductory phase of Barack Obama's foreign policy ambitions concluded on July 11 before the Ghanaian Parliament, when a solo trombonist sounded a few ceremonial notes. Obama had just finished his fourth major address on international affairs in as many months, and a few hours later, he would depart home to Washington from his fourth overseas trip.

All the i's had been dotted and the t's crossed. In sometimes exhaustive, often repetitive detail, Obama has now traveled the world, from Riyadh to Cairo and from London to Moscow — he plans to travel to China and other parts of Asia in the fall — offering up his international vision, a hodgepodge of classic realpolitik, diplomatic determination, community-organizer idealism and charismatic leadership. He has presented what he hopes will become a new public identity for the U.S., less global leader than global facilitator, less savior than responsible partner.
(Read "The Five Faces of Barack Obama.")

The effect of this change in tone, style and message will not be known for some time. What's more, it can be difficult to measure results in international affairs — to say conclusively, for instance, that Russia's cooperation on nuclear-weapon reductions could not have happened under the Administration of President John McCain or that the willingness of China to increase pressure on North Korea is anything more than a response to the rogue nation's increasing belligerence.
(See pictures of Obama's meeting with the Pope.)

What is known now, however, is the outline of Obama's operating philosophy of world affairs, a set of principles and assumptions that were only hinted at during the protracted presidential campaign. So what is the new Obama Doctrine? Here are five of its central pillars: Time.Com

1. Biography Matters
During the campaign, Obama told American voters that his election as the first black President of goatherd ancestry and foreign upbringing could itself change geopolitical dynamics. Since his election, he has been working hard to make good on that promise, aggressively marketing his background. In Africa, he spoke about the colonialist mistreatment his Kenyan grandfather faced, and in Cairo he talked about his childhood in Indonesia, the world's most populous Muslim nation. He presents himself internationally as he does domestically, as an embodiment of meritocratic achievement that can happen in free and open societies. "I have the blood of Africa within me," he said in Ghana. "And my family's own story encompasses both the tragedies and triumphs of the larger African story." His message was hard to miss: If I can do it, so can you. It was a message targeted directly at the people of the world, not their governments.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Perhaps, and I am being only half facetious here, he is in permanent 'campaign' mode for the impending world government nominations?

I suspect it could be that we need a President who can realistically go about the world rebuilding an image of America that doesn't cause other countries' people to spit. But I think, given what's going on here (at home), he really should be forgoing the ass-kissing, bowing, and posturing, and return to where his services are most needed.

But of course, I am just a stupid American citizen, what could I possibly know about the world?

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
These 5 pillars sound really great. I'm sure that all of the liberal intellectuals are sitting around patting themselves on the back. Meanwhile, countries like China, North Korea, Iran and Russia are laughing their asses off. When will Obama understand that these governments and theocracies don't play be these neat little philosophies. They only make us look weak.

We keep hearing that because of American's overwhelming support of Obama that he has a mandate to implement these pillars. For me the best mandate against them is what has worked in the past, those of Reagan projecting American power and morality, that helped end the greatest American conflict, the cold war.

new topics

join