It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The unborn undying mind of the Buddha

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Reddupo

Basically if you take the notion of an eternally present moment of now, and add to it the non-conception of self, as outlined in the most recent post I just made, you'll get the picture of the kind of thing I'm thinking of - not a conceptual thought about the individual in relation, as a part of, but completely non-existent, in an experiencial sense, an absurdity, idea of real self as nonsense, still with skin and bones, and "all that", but otherwise, nothing much in particular.. like way beyond not serious.

[edit on 13-7-2009 by OmegaPoint]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Until we can travel across light years in the universe, I am not going to make any judgments.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Silenceisall

Beautifully put. This is the fundamental dilemma of the Human Condition. People are possessed by their minds and imprisoned in their personalities. It's the EGO. We have to go beyond mind since the mind is only an accumulation of experiences and knowledge. The true SELF lies beyond. Its is the stillness/nothingness in the background. Human kind is lost in thought. i.e.. "The Matrix". Lol. Funny but true. Most of us have not found the off button. Fortunately the NOW is all thats required for awakening. The Buddhist have a saying "The finger pointing to the moon is not the moon". This is trying to convey the fact that we get caught up on the words which only point to the truth they are not themselves the truth. Don't get hung up on the signposts.

A flower for you my brother.

[edit on 13-7-2009 by InthekNOwla]

[edit on 14-7-2009 by InthekNOwla]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaPoint

Perhaps this discourse will illuminate the situation you know within~
www.lyricus.org...
:-go to discourses section by above link on site-:
-:and you will see the student and the teacher:-

LOVE

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by awake1234

cool

thanks.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

Ah then you've already suspended judgement, now. Wonderful!

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaPoint

This post was edited in response to a post that was edited after this post was posted.

It was in reference to a post that asked for a response to a joke in a previous post that was edited in which the OP ask for a punch line.

The punch line was referred to in the next post.
The punch line was sort of funny as it referred to ego.

You may read that reference in the next post ..but...it may get edited as well so I'm really not sure if it will be there.

In response to this I say

[edit on 14-7-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by The Utopian Penguin

Heh I'd edited that out, thought maybe it was stupid. That's not bad, but I think we can do better..?

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
The problem is that you need no mind.

If even one thought is in your mind then you are not there.

Do you live in the moment? If you brew tea do you simply brew tea?

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   

How about..

...So this bum goes walking nonchalantly into an upscale Manhatten bar and, absolutely plastered and stumbling headlong into a large mirror on the wall, he turns, and, at the very top of his voice, while pointing at his reflection in the mirror, shouts out loud to everyone present

"Whoever had the BALLS and the sheer CHARISMA, to bring a guy like THAT into a place like THIS, ________________

[edit on 14-7-2009 by OmegaPoint]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by WhiteWash

Actually that's not true, I've been reading this book called The Way of Zen by Alan Watts, where a lot of these things are clarified in greater depth. The goal of Zen isn't to have no thoughts, to be like a rock or a piece of wood, that's not what it's about at all, but more about spontaneous authenticity, without hesitation and just being and experiencing, but any thoughts are allowed to come, just not blocked in any way. It's a natural mind, which is just trusted to do it's thing naturally, so for the most part it just observes, but it's not like "no thoughts allowed" it's not like that at all in truth. That would be like trying NOT to think, which isn't Zen.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Sorry, my ego got a hold of it and I'd deleted it, worried it might look stupid, but i think it's getting funnier, and you can still finish it if you like.

Final form

...So this bum goes walking nonchalantly into an upscale Manhatten bar and, absolutely plastered and stumbling headlong into a large mirror on the wall, turns, and, at the very top of his voice, while pointing to his own reflection, shouts out loud to everyone present

"Whoever had the BALLS and the sheer CHARISMA, to bring a guy like THAT into a place like THIS, deserves a drink ON THE HOUSE!"

[edit on 14-7-2009 by OmegaPoint]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Too much envy. I see that you really want this badly and try to pick another's brains so to speak in the hopes you'll find that missing piece, that AHA!

Really it's much like absolute pitch. Most people can hear pitch but most cannot name tones by pitch, without reference to another. People in each group talk right past one another and yet perfectly understand those within their own domain. Those that reach for the ability will never get it based upon a description by those with it. Only those that have it share the common experience to be able to have meaningful dialogue.

A more common analogy:
Might as well try to make a blind person, who has never seen red, know what red looks like. A trillion pages describing red in a plethora of paragraphs will never reveal the thing itself. The closest the blind person will ever get is a keen sense of when the sighted person is referring to red.

Fortunately, the situation isn't so intractable as those.

Euler's formula for a circle in the complex plane:
e^(i*X) = cos X + i*sin X

X = angle in radians from the postive X axis
e = constant 2.7182818284...
i = sqrt(-1)
pi = constant 3.1415926535...

Euler's identity when substituting pi for X:
e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

Neato.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   

AH OK ... Now I know of where this thread was spawned from.

I haven't read the whole book.

Well first, I can say that I don't agree with Watt in regards to the statement that that losing the ALL Buddha unborn state results in karma.

Second..the joy I speak of is not a feeling... it is the "after" and during experience of state of being that I have in which you would call the unborn all Buddha state.

Something I may have experienced as a realization but not directly.

OK let say there was ALL(god) there was no void yet. All felt suffering for the first "time" in the realization of oneness. At that point there was a split ..a duality occurred. "We exist in perfection" there lies the flaw. Bang We now have a linear existence and all the it entails.

Now the joy I speak of is not a feeling but a state of being.
It's independent of any opposite description. It is unique.

It's like being one step away from being unborn all Buddha.

Now to me and my experience is that it exists and there is no"path" to that state but you may serindipiously have realization of it. The realization remains but you then realize at least "once removed" from that state and twice removed from the unborn all buddha state.

I can't really describe it because it seems layered...unlayered and words can't convey it. It's kinda like representing a twelve or thirteen dimensional object in three dimensions.

[edit on 14-7-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   

That reminds me of my girlfriend.

We had not been together much more than a year. I asked her if she would consider marrying me some time in the future. She said, "Hell no!". Now I knew I found the one and really wanted to marry her.

Still going after almost a decade. Still not married. Everything's good.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   
to see clearly learn to not distinguish. To gain in life one must learn to eat bitter. However, ones unhappiness comes from too many expectations. No expectations, no disappointments. less thought, clearer mind.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   

What WhiteWash is trying to say is not that you have to eliminate thought. It has its own beauty. Present moment awareness, The Now, can also be called mindfulness. When asked how he and his disciples practiced Nirvana the Buddha said "We sit, we eat, and we walk. Confused the man asked for clarity. The Buddha said "When we sit, we know that were sitting, When we eat, we know that we are eating, and when we walk, we know that are walking." Which is to say that they practice by giving their full attention to whatever they are doing. They consciously take every step, they live in every moment. This is true mindfulness. It's a state of awareness. We have all heard the expressions "I have to make a conscious effort to do this or a conscious effort to do that. Every effort should be a conscious effort. This is living in the now. It is called the state of NO MIND because once you give your full attention to anything thought stops. Don't believe me? Try it! Look at your hands. Feel them, give your full attention to them. You cant give your full attention to something and be thinking about it at the same time. Thought will eventually slip back in. The ego is very clever and wants to keep you lost in thought and asleep. It wants to keep you identified with the "Voice in the head". The Buddha calls it DOOKA, In Hinduism it is called MAYA (The veil of delusion) We now call it THE EGO. Its one of the central messages of all of the great wisdom teachers throughout time. Different words and terminology have been used to describe it but they all point to the same truth. There has only been ONE real spiritual teaching though it comes in many forms. Jesus spoke of it as did Buddha, Lao Tzu, even Einstein to name a few. Einstein said "I am concerned only with the consciousness of God, the rest are details." What is the consciousness of God if not PRESENT MOMENT AWARENESS?! So whenever you catch yourself lost in thought, that realization IS enlightenment.

A Flower For You.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Exactly InthekNOwla. Thank you.

In nature does the squirrel spend time over-thinking what it is doing moment to moment? It simply Is. In order to achieve what it is you seek you must simply Be. A good exercise is to brew tea. If you can brew tea, only being and living in the moment of brewing the tea you will start to understand.

"A university professor went to visit a famous Zen master. While the master quietly served tea, the professor talked about Zen. The master poured the visitor's cup to the brim, and then kept pouring. The professor watched the overflowing cup until he could no longer restrain himself. "It's overfull! No more will go in!" the professor blurted. "You are like this cup," the master replied, "How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup."

Source

To be in harmony with nature is also to overcome the mental rubbish we humans tend to obsess about. Animals in nature live in the moment. You need to learn to live in the moment.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Wow this is very intresting, on the night of the 12th around 11:50 pm I felt seemily inspired to write this info down, and it was very similar to your wave annology. I wrote this on my mysspace blog..."A cycle in the form of a wave... This is the constant "flow" of life in its most symbolic manifestation. It is a spiral of send and return, eb n' flow, positive and negative. And contrary to the popular belief that there is a need for complexity and meaning [drama]. This is only an infinite wave, and this is all it ever needs to be. To exist is to be one in the flow, to live is to be one who affects the flow and to revolutionize is to be one who alters and changes the flow. Surrounding all things within existence is the infinite potential for potential in one. We participate in the events that are within our path no matter how serenely or violently we tread. There can be no stopping for stopping is dieing. Our emotions are our only guiding factor, predetermining how we change and evolve and descend into the unknown. Like life, the majestic Ocean can be all that the universe can be yet only another facet of this great wave. From beginning to end, it all returns to its source from death to birth and birth to death. Yes you may of heard all this and already know all this but do you really understand the importance of all this? Can you truly see life for her true beauty? Or are you one who will willingly neglect Your birth right for perfection. All for the sake of the equality of the support that each wave garners from the other in the false comforts you place on each other. You will neglect the only purpose you were truly given, to be free and cut your own path into the infinite dark of the ocean. If you achieve this then you will realize that you were never alone in your endeavor. True happiness is dictated by you and you alone. "

yeah, haven't written like that in a while.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join