It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sleep Annie Sleep

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
It was a windy night. The stars were nowhere to be seen.
Tommy stood near the street; he was holding Annie's hand, his little sister.

'Tommy, I'm cold. Can we go home?'�

'No, we can't go home yet Annie.'� He avoided looking at the little face with teary eyes and shivering lips, same as his own.

There was almost no one around them. The street was empty; few cars were parked on its side. Many of the streetlights were broken, only a few survived to brighten the surrounding. There was a small convenient store with terrible appearance nearby; dim lights, dusty windows, and terrible cracked sounds of the door when it was opened or closed.

'We need to find someone to help us, Tommy?'�

Tommy held her hand tighter. Annie was about one and a half feet shorter than him; he knelt down and forced a smile.

'Yes, Annie, just as what we always do. Then we can go home and rest.'�

He tried to arrange Annie's jacket to make her feel warmer. He saw how his mother did that before. When he tried to button her jacket, he noticed that three buttons were missing. He took a deep breath, smiled and wrapped his own jacket around Annie.

'Look! We can ask her to help us!'� Annie pointed at one direction. There was a woman coming out from the store and walking to another direction. She was carrying a paper bag; she wore a bright sweater and a scarf around her neck.

'Let's go!'� Tommy pulled his sister's hand. They both ran towards the woman.

'Mam..Mam'�., please help us...'�

'Uh..?'�

'Help us Mam, our Dad is sick. He can't wake up from his bed, please help us to look at him'�we don't know what to do'�help'�'�

'What? What happened? Where is he? Where is your Mom?'�

'Our Mom is not with us anymore.'� Tommy reached out his hand to grab the woman's,'� Please help us and Dad'�'�

'Yes'�please come to our house. We are cold.'�

The woman hesitated, but one look at Annie melted her heart. The girl was shivering although she was covered with layers of coats. Her eyes were wide, wet and begging. She had adorable face and would have looked like angel if she were dressed well and in cleaner condition. His brother also had similar appearance and face; his one hand was on his sister's and the other on her. He looked visibly tired and cold; he wore nothing appropriate for the weather.

'Please'�.'�

'All right, all right'�..,'�The woman looked at those bluish tiny lips and couldn't help herself to disappoint them,'� I'll go with you. But I can't promise you anything. I will see what I can help, but mostly I will have to call a doctor who will take care of your Dad.'�

Tommy let out a sigh of relief,'� Thank you Mam. Thank you'�'�

Sleep, Annie, sleep
Your father tends the sheep
Your mother shakes the dreamland tree
And from it fall sweet dreams for thee
Sleep, Annie, sleep'�

Tommy pulled the blanket higher to cover Annie's neck. He slowly rearranged the pillows beside her head to cover her ear as much as he could. Annie smiled at him with sleepy eyes.

Sleep, Annie, sleep
Our cottage vale is deep
The little land is on the green
With snowy fleece so soft and clean
Sleep, Annie, sleep

As she was flying to her dreamland, Tommy put Teddy bear beside her. He waited for a while, and after he was sure that Annie had been asleep, he went to his own bed, crawled under it, hugged his legs and started to sob quietly.

He heard screams, breaking glasses, shouts and cries. He knew what he was going to see tomorrow. A naked, beaten up or dead woman, who was kind enough to offer them a helping hand, broken bottles, his Dad would be sleeping in the couch, smelling of beer and blood. Then they would have to move.
He would then have to go out again to find someone to help them. No matter how harsh the weather was going to be, he would have to bring Annie with him.

'If you can't come home with somebody, boy. Your sister will be the next.'�

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   

WTF?

I'm gonna give you the benefit of a doubt and hope this is a "dont let this happen to you".

If not, your a sick SOB for putting this stuff up.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by felonius

erm a sick Sob? well thats simply charming
its a fiction story thats all, its something that could happen to anyone, so yes perhaps a warning not to be so trusting. I have this up on a writers site i am on and surprised by your negativity to be honest. but you are entitled to what you think, and you gave an honest opinion on it and thats fine.

[edit on 013131p://44071 by ronishia]

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ronishia

Very good stuff! Powerful. I really got sucked in at the end and I could really feel Tommy's pain. What a horrible existence. If this was in the collaborative writing section I would definately take care of that dad. Then I would set Tommy and Annie up with their own house. You evoked the emotions you meant to evoke. Very well done!

top topics

join