It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parenting and Religion, a Philosophical Question

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Patoote

I don't know how much going to Church matters. In the religions where it's supposed to matter, like Catholicism, I don't think it should. So, you say you didn't go because you were lazy. But maybe if it clicked just right, you would have gone more? Your beliefs are what matter. I don't really think any institution can define what religion you are.

But... the more replies I read, the more I wonder about conversion. Why are there big ordeals involved when people want to convert religions? Isn't what they believe what matters in the long run? Or people who convert just so they can marry their true love, they are still permitted to convert. So why bother converting? At all? Ever? Why encourage it? Isn't the religion you believe the one that you are?

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Enforced religious believe is simply a form of abuse. If I was to raise a child to a Nazi, there would be an outcry but is there really any difference?

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by mithrawept

It depends on the religion. Not all religions teach hate and violence and descrimination and death. Some parts of some religions practice that. But some religions are really passive and peaceful. I get what you're saying though.

Generally I dislike religion. But I don't think it's abuse. I mean, you can't take a child away from a parent because the parent is enforcing A religion on a child. But if the religion is really extreme and limits the child's livelihood and health, wlel, yes that would be abusive.

I think. I mean... none of the people in this thread who were raised with a religion really said "I was raised (insert religion here) and it was abusive by my parents and it ruined my life."

new topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join