It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parenting and Religion, a Philosophical Question

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMy2Cents

Sorry, dear. I'm in an awful mood.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

You speak exactly for me...except I want to class for 7 years and had one more to go.

I didn't finish.

I didn't care.

I told everyone, if I do not believe in it, or wan't to be there, why should I?

Even at the ages of 12-13, I thought it was all BS, despite my whole family finishing the class and going to church.

To me, it was like a click at school. A click that you only have one thing in common with...yet you do not really know any of them on the inside.

I like to click with all, not some.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
i tis my experience that the more you force a faith onto someone, the greater likelihood they will not follow it.

As a graduate of catholic grammar school and high school, every year in those places got me further and further from the church. Today I'm basically a protestant-thinking catholic.

It is therefore my opinion that simply bringing kids to church and Sunday school will make it totally random if they will follow suit with their faith, as their outside influences alter them too.

The more you force, the less likely one follows.

Out of a graduating class of some 350 kids, I and about 20 others were still church-going catholics. This starting from a class of mostly God-loving Catholics, Muslims, Jews, etc etc. Most of the Muslims I know from then abandoned their faiths for secular Islam, where they simply believe in Allah and no more.

To quote a conversation I recall:

Student: "Hey ____, don't you people celebrate anything?"
Student: "Yea, we celebrate Ramadan and put up a Christmas tree, bro"

NOTE: Ramadan isn't even in Christmas I think. lol

[edit on 13-7-2009 by Gorman91]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Well, for me I was raised a bit oddly...

My mom was raised Catholic, my dad was an atheist

We all went to a baptist church (my father at my mom and I's behest and begging)

But they sent me to a Lutheran school.

Talk about reasonably confusing

Once I hit my teens, i explored pretty much every religion out there, including satanism. None really seemed to fit the bill.

Because I still felt the need to be "spiritual" I was confused for many years, trying to figure out where I belonged. Eventually I became a radical christian, and even pursued being a preacher for a time... But eventually I came to the realization that if i could not bring myself to stop being confused about it all, how could i expect myself to be able to preach it?

So, after many years of exploring, and trying to figure out where I belong, I finally found a place. Within myself.

I'm closer to "god" than i ever have been in my life, and people notice it. I am always happy (cept momentary periods of upset, of course... i'm not weird lol) and exploring deeper into the mysteries of life, the universe and everything on a daily basis... which is just where I feel i am meant to be.

So.. there you go
I am grateful for my upbringing. Having the diversity I had gave me a chance to open my wings and explore for myself what was right for me, and I am thankful to my parents for allowing it to be so.

Oh and I am closer to my parents than most folks I know (well... father passed away 9 years ago, but you get the point), and I feel it's because they gave me the free will to be whoever I wanted to be. I try very hard to do the same for my children, and they have responded in kind to me, as i did to my parents.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
All I can give you is data.

My Mother was devout in her Religion and her beliefs were genuine. She lived as she believed.

My Father never belonged to any Religion nor did he attend any church.

I was given complete freedom to choose. I was an Agnostic and later in life chose my own Religion.

In my case, there was no coercion. I actually attended often with my Mother because, surprise, surprise; I enjoyed it. In the end however, I joined a different church altogether after trying out many.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I guess I was pretty lucky. My parents were "technically" Methodist when I was born. However, they raised all of their 5 children to find their own path. One is Episcipalian (sorry if my spelling is off - it is late), one is an athiest, one is Baptist, one stayed Methodist, and I converted to Judaism. We are all comfortable with how we chose, and my parents are actually proud that we've all found our own way.

Incidently, it was revealed later in a geneology hunt that my mother's grandmother's mother was jewish. I didn't really have to convert.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I absolutely hate every religion just because it forces you to believe and worship a being who has never shown themselves to you UNLESS you hullucinated and dreamed it. I dont believe in anything i think were on earth and we need to quit the whole religion thing and move on with life so we can be more advanced. We could be so advanced if it wasnt for religion. We DONT need religion. free your minds people. I am so much happier now that i dont believe in any religion. you can appreciate life for what it really is and how precious it is without thinking there is going to be an afterlife. Think about it this way if there is an afterlife then where are we before life?? answer that. I know where we were. we were sperm cells and we are all just offsprings of animals. its called evolution. the missing link was found. go to each of these websites if you dont believe me and actually read the articles.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

www.nydailynews.com...

Look at those and tell me we didnt evolve. If you still believe in a god or any religion then you are just ignoring the facts that are right in front of your face.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by lycanlance

Odd. No church has ever forced me to believe or attend? I've tried dozens.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Easiest way to answer that, i think, is to look to today's 2nd generation wiccans and neopagans.

IN general, the ones i know are encouraging their kids to study all religions and choose their own paths - since all paths are held to be valid, and proselytization is held as rather immoral...

I know I took my own child to churches and this and that and he hated them all. He's ended up on the pagan side but just not very religious in general. HE can be a tad rigid when he does think about religion, IE he got very upset once when we attended a public ritual that was 'on the wrong day.' He doesn't seem to think much about religion at all except the implications of it - how it seems to cause people to split up.

I imagine if he ever does think about it, he'll just be very confused, which, IMO, is really a rather powerful place to start.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   
My family never really cared about my religion. But when I had my son, it all started....Are you going to baptize him?? Are you going to CHANGE and start going to church? He needs a good foundation in life. OMG...Seriously? Wait one minute, you are telling me what to do with my child? I think not!
I'm Pagan, have been for 12 years....My husband is Atheist, and we decided before we even got married, that if we had children we would let them choose.

So both sides of our family are Christian, and they want the same things for the only grandchild. Drives me nuts, I have to deal with this everyday. Do you want to bring him to vacation Bible school? Ummm... no I don't. And the more they push, the more I'm skipping over that religion when I teach him about the others. I'm sure that he will understand it anyway with a sunday school teacher for a grandmother. I just never thought that it was going to be so hard. I thought they would let me choose. I was forced to church every Sunday, so why can't I choose now for MY child. And my choice is to let him go wherever his heart guides him.

Oh yeah btw....they also said that the first time they babysit him, that they where going to take him to get baptized. (behind my back of course) Over my dead body. Still have not let them have him for longer than 2 hours at a time, and this has been going on for almost 2 years!

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   
From my experience, I was brought up as a Jehovah's whitness since the age of three, living with my grandparents, my gran did not attend meetings herself and my grandfather was not a Jehovah's whitness. I went with elders and my aunt and this made me quite uncomfortable. I was litterally forced to attend even when I was older. There are some things that I agree with regarding their religeon, but I prefer to not be a apart of any religeous organisation. People often change their mind, each day I learn something new and pieces of the puzzle start to fit.

My children will have freedom to explore as many different religeons as they wish. When they are old enough they should be able to decide which is best suoted for them, if they choose any at all.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I was raised in a family that was Catholic, Buddhist, Christian, and ultimately nothing besides saying grace before a meal. My brother (34) "just believes in god", my sister (25) is really spiritual, and I (21) believe in science.

Religion shouldn't be shoved down your child's throat but they should be aware of it so they can decided for themselves. When they get old enough to, they will appreciate it.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by GorehoundLarry

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it is child abuse. However, I do believe that a person should research all of the belief systems and pick the one that best suits them.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Children tend to emulate the qualities of their parents that bring the most reward. If they lead a satisfying life by following their parent's Christian values, then they're not going to experiment with another religion.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I think parents pass their religion on due to personal reasons. They believe in their religion, and thus they are doing their children a good deed. Also there is the need to protect your children, and this would be protecting their childrens souls in their eyes.

As to how well it works, well that's a coin flip. My sister, almost all of my cousins and I were brought up Catholic. Only about a quarter of us are still practicing Catholics. I am not. My daughter was brought up without a specific religion, but the knowledge of the possibilities, and she chose a religion on her own. I just read this post on another thread, but it seems appropriate here as well:

Originally posted by rogerstigers
The only reason I was ever a Christian in the first place was because my parents were Christian. That simply isn't a good enough reason to decide on a religion. I have since taken my own spiritual journey and come to my own conclusions about the nature of existence that work well for me in my life.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMy2Cents

You are a liar. Why do I say such a thing; simply because there is just NO WAY that you can be a Redneck and be the smartest human that ever lived!

Oh, please tell me I am NOT the smartest human alive. If that's so, we're all doomed!

Thanks for the kudos (but I really AM a redneck)

-----------------------------------------------------
reply to post by bronwyn82

Ummmm....

I'm confused.

Oh yeah btw....they also said that the first time they babysit him, that they where going to take him to get baptized. (behind my back of course) Over my dead body. Still have not let them have him for longer than 2 hours at a time, and this has been going on for almost 2 years!

There are two ways to look at this statement, and both make no sense. You say you don't believe in Christianity (completely your prerogative, of course). So, if you believe Christianity is false, then why and how is a baptism any different than a bath? If the baptism is such a worrisome thing for you, how is it you don't believe the religion behind it?

I honestly don't mean to pick on you, but I just had to point out the inconsistency here.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

The only inconsistent thing here is whatever kind of point you were trying to make in your post. How is a baptism any different than a bath? Seriously? What is the point behind a baptism, what are the hymns being sung and the prayers being said during a baptism? What kind of ignorant rubbish is that?....Stupid question to make....

Maybe you need to understand that I don't believe in Christianity and therefore I don't wish to introduce or subject my child to the "christ-insanity" rituals that they do. This is my choice to not raise my child with this particular religion and I don't find it necessary to raise him the way that popular majority sees fit.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by bronwyn82

OK, glad you cleared that up....

Please understand that I agree it is not your parents' place to engage the child in a ritual you do not want the child in. I'm not arguing that point. Absolutely it is your decision to make whether or not you want a baptism (or bar-mitzvah, or whatever).

My only question concerned the ire in your first post. Are you saying you believe there is something somehow 'magical' or sinister that occurs when a child is prayed for or sung hymns to while being dunked in (or perhaps sprinkled with, depending on denomination) water? If there is no God, then the hymns are silly songs and the prayers are meaningless. In that case, baptism indeed amounts to little more than getting wet.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I was raised in the church and while I consider still consider my self christian I rarely if ever go to church primarily because of the research I did into the worlds religions. I am raising my son as christian but I am encouraging him to have an open mind. I guess the only reason I still consider myself christian is because that is what i was raised. I think the real question is why do parents raise the children to be religious but not spiritual. I had to learn spirituality on my own and that made me a far better person. Although I am raising my son by christian guidlines I am teaching him spirituality. Only time will tell what he chooses

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I was brought up Catholic. My Mom never really went to church and my step-dad...I don't know if he went either except for Christmas and Easter.. But my siblings and I were sent to church and classes thru eighth grade. After that I don't think any of us went to church. As a child I used to think of becoming a nun.

In my 20's I stopped being a Catholic when I read that in 1955 the Vativan decided Catholics needed another holy day of obligation and decided it would be the assumption of Mary (The belief that the Virgin???)Mary was taken into heaven body and soul. That was too much for me. And when I learned that they considered the Immaculate Conception was Mary's conception and not Christ's I could not believe that stuff.

I attended many non Catholic churches but fell away from them...due to my laziness. Found a preacher I really liked but he moved and the church was desolved. I didn't attend chuirch services as my husband did but I very much enjoyed his Bible studies! I am a Christian by my own choice and will always be one. Many things about the Bible have been proven by science.

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join