It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(IWWC) Evacuation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
They backtracked around the side of the old farmhouse, only this time veered from the path which led back into the city. They took a path which hadn't been used in quite some time. It led to an old abandoned well, a quarter of a mile or so down past the house, the old run-down chicken coops, and dilapidated grain silos. Joel had already been there, and suggested they hide in the well until he got back, then they would figure out what to do.

They looked down into the well seeing only a slight glistening of water, and otherwise darkness. There was an old bucket, and even an old galvanized dipper lying in the dirt beside it. They dropped them down into it, only to watch them fall, trying to gage how far it was to the bottom. They gave a quick tug to the rope which still hung in it's place, finding it still strong. Danielle watched as Cat grabbed the rope, balanced herself on the rim of the well, and began rappelling down the sides. She waited for Cat to give her the okay, then Danielle began her own venture down into the pitch and damp darkness.

Joel had known they would have no problems getting there. Before the war started, the three of them often took hikes into the mountains, rappelling over cliffs, spelunking in caves both underground and under water. She now knew those days were over for good. What happened in the span of a few hours, had changed their lives irrevocably.

They never realized what they viewed back then only as fun and recreation, would become survival skills now. Clearly Joel had been here already. They used a lighter to see he had dropped down some supplies, and they used it to light one of the candles that was in the bundle. Conversation was short. They were both exhausted. It seemed like they'd been running in circles all day. Her legs ached. Her mouth felt parched.

From the puddle of water, she cupped her hands full, and drank. She patted some of the black water over her lips. Then she fell asleep.

She awoke expecting to be freezing, but rather was warm. Joel was there, sleeping next to Cat. Cat was sleeping sitting up, as was Danielle, and Joel had curled around, with his head in Cat's lap. He had made a small fire in the bucket. It was enough. She could see from the top of the well, it was just starting to get light. The dawning of a new day. She was saddened thinking about what it might bring. Images of the days before played through her mind as she watched Joel and her sister sleep.

How did things get this way, she wondered. They had only wanted to help. But they had gone too far. Things had gotten out of hand in a very short period of time. It had been........disastrous.

Danielle blamed her mother. When Cat was born, Danielle was already seven. Her mother started in almost immediately. "Cat is special, Cat has powers, Cat can move her toys around in her playpen without touching them". Maybe if her mother had just let it go. Maybe no one would have noticed.

Because they were the only two children, Danielle and Cat had spent much of their time together. Yes, Danielle had noticed things, too. Especially after Cat met Joel, which was in first grade. They were drawn towards one another the first time they met. It had been instantaneous. They had been together since then. Inseparable.

It was long suspected they communicated telepathically. Always looking at each other, quietly. They would have a glance, then rise simultaneously and go outside, or to some other venue or endeavor. Their mother questioned both children about it, but they admitted nothing. As they grew older, it became much more evident, but they still didn't speak about it, and people finally stopped asking.

Danielle's eyes again fell on Joel, still sleeping. His eyelids were moving rapidly. "He's dreaming", she thought, wondering what it was about. Then she noticed Cat's eyelids were in the same state of rapid movement. They were almost in sync. "Good Lord", she thought, "are they communicating now? Sharing the same dream?" Danielle sighed heavily.

She saw that Joel's clothing was burned, and he had burns on his hands. There was dried blood on his face. She remembered what happened in the gym at school. Was it two days ago? Three? The whole group of them, sixty, maybe, had called the community together to "talk to them." They had heard about what was going on in other towns. The Indigo's were being tracked down and either killed or imprisoned, by armies of terrified and angry vigilantes. Joel and Cat thought the animosities were born from fear, and they wanted to "set the record straight". Things seemed to go fine as long as they were just sharing information. But when Joel, Cat, and some of the others decided to give a "demonstration." That's when it all went wrong. So wrong.

Joel had taken the lead position, in the center of the stage that had been set up in the gym at the junior college. He turned, glanced at his friends who were standing behind him. Then, like on cue, the lights above began flickering off and on. Papers started flying around the room. Women's purses. There was a charge, like lightening, that everybody saw and felt. But when Joel opened his arms, and began radiating light from his entire body to the point you could barely stand to look at him, and a few others stepped beside him to demonstrate the same phenomenon, there was immediate pandemonium and chaos. People panicked and began running and screaming. You could hear shouts of "stop them!" and "God help us!". People were praying and some sobbing in fear. (Both the townspeople and even some of the Indigos). But nobody backed down.

Law enforcement was rushed in to try and contain the hysteria. Guns were drawn, and the Indigos fought back. They turned many bullets back towards the shooters, but nonetheless many of them died right there in the gym. Sims, an Indigo whose powers were rivaled only by Joel's, had become so confused he gazed angrily into the crowd, and suddenly, it seemed like everything ignited. Everything that could burn, did. People fought, even as their clothing burned. As far as the townspeople were concerned, that single act was a declaration of war.

(Continued)

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
(IWWC) Part II

Evacuation

Three days later, hungry and exhausted, they had found a moment of solace in the bottom of this well.

Danielle found a piece of cloth, and was about to wet it and put it on Joel's face, when she heard voices from above. A man's face suddenly appeared at the top of the well. She quickly overturned the bucket of sparkling cinders, then closed her eyes, and remained very still, hoping he wouldn't see them. Then she heard him shouting "in here" "they're in here", "they're in the well". A minute later she felt vibrations in the well from the running of what seemed to be many feet, towards the well. Towards them. Towards her.

She thought to herself "we are going to die". Then she heard Joel's voice inside her head.

"We are not going to die, Danielle".

Startled, she looked over at Joel who still appeared to be sleeping. Then his eyes opened abruptly and sharply, and he looked directly into hers.
"We are not going to die, Danielle." "Not in the way you think."

Cat, too, was awake now. Danielle was confused and frightened, thinking she was not one of them. She had no means to protect herself. She couldn't turn away bullets with her own will. Even though Cat didn't move her lips, she said "no matter what happens, stay close". "Joel has made a plan for us all". Danielle stood silently, wondering what enabled her to hear her sister in this way. She'd never been able to hear her before.

All three were on their feet now. The voices and vibrations were nearing. Almost there. Danielle was trembling from fear of the voices she heard above, as they approached.

"We've got the little freaks now. (Then laughter).
"I thought they were supposed to be smart". "This is going to be like shooting fish in a barrel".
"We have to protect ourselves!"

Danielle was feeling so much weakness from fear, she was afraid her body would go limp. Just then, Joel reached out, took her arm, and put it around his waist. Cat did the same. She heard Cat say "hang on sis, we are about to take the greatest ride of our lives". With Cat on one side of him, and Danielle on the other, Joel lifted his arms as he had done in the gymnasium. He began to glow. A light was coming from his eyes, his mouth, his arms and legs. He was becoming brighter and brighter. Finally, light seemed to be shooting out the top of his head. She felt the energy surge everyone had experienced in the gym. She glanced over at Cat. She too, was becoming light. Danielle could feel her own body, but could see it looked different. She was glowing.

Joel closed his eyes, reached his arms upward, and they begin to rise. Slowly, at first, but then they began to accelerate. Cat had her eyes closed too, but Danielle's remained open. By the time they reached the top of the well, they were completely translucent. When the vigilantes fired at them, the bullets passed right through them without pain. Without damage.

In her mind, Danielle pleaded "what is happening to us?"
Cat spoke softly, "be quiet, now".

They continued to rise, faster and faster, until the people below them appeared tiny, like toy soldiers. She could see some still running about; others simply frozen, looking upwards. Most had stopped firing their weapons, although a few were still trying to shoot them. Then, after another minute or two, she could see them no longer. They continued to rise, in the quietness.

Then she heard what sounded like laughter. She looked at Joel and Cat. They were looking at each other, and at her, laughing. Danielle opened her mouth, too, expecting to hear wails of released emotion: her own crying. Instead, she started to laugh, too. She realized they were above the clouds, now.

"Look up!" Joel said to her somehow, now only having light for a mouth.

Cat was looking up too, still laughing. Danielle then raised her "eyes' upward. What she saw stunned her. It was a starship. It was huge. The most remarkable thing she had ever seen. It was covered in spinning lights and metallics of all colors. It was simultaneously intriguing and terrifying. She was busy studying how this could be, when the bottom suddenly opened up, and a small craft exited the larger one. It was headed towards them. Somehow, she didn't feel as afraid anymore.

"What's that?" she asked.

"That", said Joel, now giggling with delight, "is our taxi".

The End

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
DISCLAIMER:

lol. Not really into the Indigo thing, but it was the topic and I wanted to play!

I decided to let Danielle, Joel, and Cat live, because they were really good kids!

liw

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Wicked firestarter lady

I enjoyed this powerful story.

Good entry!

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

ladyinwaiting this is awesome. Nice take on the Indigo side of things and very good story! Thank you.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Thank you Orange and Jack! I appreciate your generous remarks.

Made my day. I had no idea if my story was interesting, or really...
NOT. lol.

Thanks again to you both,
liw

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Star and Flag.

This was a great story. Very detailed and well written!

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I loved this entry, very well written and deserves many stars and flaggs!

Beautiful, and I loved the ending, why not?

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I really enjoyed your story. I don't know why, but for some reason I was picturing the scene from Carrie when I read about the mishap in the gym. Great work!

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Cameoii

lol..I didn't even think about that...

But thanks! (I think).

[edit on 7/15/0909 by ladyinwaiting]

[edit on 7/15/0909 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Excellent contribution to the contest my friend. The writing was very stylish and i could almost see them flying through the air. I wanted to go too.

I hope you do well in the contest,

wupy

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
DISCLAIMER:

lol. Not really into the Indigo thing, but it was the topic and I wanted to play!

For one seperated from the phenomenon, you have perfectly described the results brought about by fear of the unknown (Normal's reaction) as well as the otherworldly aspirations of the Indigo (extra-terrestrial support).

As well (no pun intended), you did so with an exceptional writing style.

Thoroughly enjoyed your submission, ladyinwaiting.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Thank you very much! I consider this a great compliment considering the source! And cracked up upon reading "as well", no pun intended".

Again, many thanks for reading and commenting.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

This is what writing is all about. A+

new topics

top topics

join