It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carnivorous Clock Kills Insects to Tell Time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Carnivorous Clock

It tells time — and helps you get rid of unwanted insect pests. Two technologically minded artists in London have built a digital clock that catches bugs, then dissolves their bodies to create electrolytes to power itself.

It may just be me, but this really creeps me out. What I'm reading is that they can make machines that can power themselves by dissolving animals. I know it's just flies....for now, but man...the implications would make an awesome sci-fi movie...a machine that depopulates by using humans to power itself, so that it can get more humans..

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

yeah, they called it the matrix, the first part was alright but the series went downhill pretty quick.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   

"these robots could go on living so long as the flies don't go with us."

That's pretty amazing. I hope they make more of these. Preferably something that can live on lawn clippings and mosquitos.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
COOL! It's like a Venus Fly Trap/Clock combo.

Wow, two things that I never ever have thought of in the same thought process ever.

More like a Pitcher Plant actually, since it's sticky.

[edit on 7/13/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Well I for one won't be worrying about this one
I think its actually a great idea , recycling organic waste has to be better for the environment than throwing batteries into the land fill .
in theory anyway

I could never see human beings being used this was to generate power . even with the most paranoid mind , there is better ways

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Great flesh recognizing robots that kill smh @ the knowledge tree

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Takka

I could never see human beings being used this was to generate power . even with the most paranoid mind , there is better ways

Hmm....is there a level of 'paranoid mind' that is higher than 'the MOST?'
(sign me up)

DENY IGNORANCE, and the composting of our individual bio-mass to power the machines of our own destruction!!!

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   

haha

guess ya never know hey
up:

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen
Carnivorous Clock

It tells time — and helps you get rid of unwanted insect pests. Two technologically minded artists in London have built a digital clock that catches bugs, then dissolves their bodies to create electrolytes to power itself.

It may just be me, but this really creeps me out. What I'm reading is that they can make machines that can power themselves by dissolving animals. I know it's just flies....for now, but man...the implications would make an awesome sci-fi movie...a machine that depopulates by using humans to power itself, so that it can get more humans..

I thought I read that wrong then looked again. Yep! Carnivorous Clock.

I'll have one that uses ants and japanese beetles, Please.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Well I found this to be pretty cool. I never would have thought to do that! I could sure use one of those around the house
wonder if it will eat spiders.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   

But without humans the robots would have no purpose. as they were made to serve humans.

but i can totally see terminator style robots munching on people.
even if it is not the best power scource.Small nuclear reactors would serve better in such an avanced robot. They cannot wait around for a human to turn up with only say 5 percent battyery life.

[edit on 13-7-2009 by MR BOB]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
the concept actually freaks me out somewhat

the initial idea is pretty awesome truth be told but.........what if?

My favorite 2 word saying that, would they make bigger clocks to east bigger specimens to allow them to go longer
kinda a freaky idea

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I hope you all realize that to attract flys carnivorus plants use the smell of #$%^. I dont think anyone is gonna want an alarm clock filled with acidic liquid that smells like #$%^. I myself have knocked a few clocks off night stand trying to turn them off. Wouldnt want green goo with half desolved insects pouring out of it onto my carpet.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I would definitely buy one. I think this could slowly lead into bio-mechanical pets. Think about it, you know your clock hasn't caught any insects for days and you want it to keep running so you go down to a pet store and buy "food" for it. Apply the same technology to a 4 legged mechanical frame and throw in some AI, tada.

This technology would also work well over in africa and other places where malaria is a problem. Think about it, a bug powered bug zapper. You would have a device made to eliminate pests that gets its power to operate by eliminating pests. Thats like a car that gains fuel by moving. When they invent this genius application of the technology, let it be known that I thought of it first.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

AND, if it has a 'snooze' function, you'll have to be careful not to slap the crap out of it!

Sorry...this one made my laugh, and spit up a little, at the same time!

I'm gonna wait for the miniature, wrist-sized version....

OH!! And the obvious, surprised no one thought of it yet:

"Well, with my new clock, the time really flies!"

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
im suprised no one has made a wristwatch that runs off sweat yet.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   

A Carnivorous Clock??? It eats bugs and tells the time eh?

Great! Makes me wonder how long it will take before scientists like these will have Clocks that eats humans. Or even other carnivorous gadgets that feed of human flesh.

See EVERY invention that has a good intention at 1st can be develloped into something bad, just like the atom-bomb.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
If your clocks are eating enough flys to power itself then i think its time to move....

Maybe you could put your own #$%^ in the clock and kill 2 birds with one stone!

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

Yes and i'll have the one that eats noisy neighbours too!

new topics

top topics

join