It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you think is the worst invention in history?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Oh come on!!! What drugs are you on?!?!?!? Look at Nagasaki and Hiroshima! Do you know how many innocent people died!?!?!?!?!?!?!!????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And 60 years later there are still people born deformed!!!!!!!! Nuclear, biological, hydrogen, the gun, the flame thrower..................................... the point is they are all wepons!! That KILL! Wepons are the worst thing ever made! And the worst out of wepons are nuclear weapons

Look at that

[Edited on 8-5-2004 by AD5673]

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Flying machines. (Airplanes/Helicopters/etc..)

Without them, war wouldn't be as bad, 911 wouldn't have happened, Pearl Harbor wouldn't have happened (the two biggest attacks on the US), hundreds of people wouldn't die everytime a commercial plane crashes. So many more reasons why flying machines are the worst inventions in history.

Second would be credit. Whoever invented that, screwed the world.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Without flying machines you would still be taking a ship and waitng 2 or 3 days to get to your destination. Flying machines are great. Not military ones though. As i have said before. ALL wepons are the worst invention ever.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I don't fly, and all my relatives live near.

I have no use for flying machines, and never intend to, so in my opinion, they're the worst.

And if I had to travel, I'd rather take a train, bus, or car. And if it was overseas for some reason, I'd rather go via ship.

[Edited on 8-5-2004 by AnonymousPoster4]

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Look at that

that my friend, is the beauty of pure energy being released, brought to you by science.

so what you are implying is that science itself is bad because science and technology brought about airplanes, nukes, bios, chems, drugs, political correctedness, just about everything metioned in this thread.

you should love the christian church. they have the same position. namely, science=evil=anitchrist coming all the sooner.

with everything good comes something bad. its all a matter of how you deal with it.

[Edited on 5/8/04 by NothingMakesSense]

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by NothingMakesSense
with everything good comes something bad. its all a matter of how you deal with it.

my thoughts exactly

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Science itself also brought cars, elecrtricity, electronics, inyernet, and much more. The things i use daily for making my life esier NothingMakesSense. Im not saying science its self is bad. Have i said science was evil? Do you see that image? That is what happens when that energy is released and kills thousands of people if not millions. I said that weapons themselves are the worse invention ever. NOT science. So dont go off saying stupid things

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   

I said that weapons themselves are the worse invention ever.

let me say something right now about your position on weapons. i believe that it is inherent in human nature to be evil and to make evil things (ie weapons). humans will always find ways to kill each other with wahtever is at hand. Why do you think people used to be stoned? because stones were plentiful. why do people kill with guns? because guns are plentiful and more efficient than stones. myself, i would rather be shot than stoned, and rather annhilalated in an atomic fireballl than shot. its cleaner. when i die, i want it to be quick. what i am getting at is that you cannot have nuclear reactors without nuclear bombs, for instance. you can't have cars without people getting run over on purpose. it is INHERENT IN HUMAN NATURE to do bad stuff with potentially good technologies. so nukes themselves aren't bad. they can't be, they are inanimate objects. what is bad is people using them or threatening to.

Do you see that image? That is what happens when that energy is released

that energy can power an entire country for years. that is good. creating a nuclear wasteland is bad.

i've heard there are two paths to peace. one is to be a total pacifist yourself, and hope that others will follow your example. the other way is to show how horrific war is so that no one will ever want it to happen again. the latter method was used with the holocaust and nukes. people know how bad it is and so don't want it to happen.

and changing human nature so that bad things won't happen is taking away free will, which is the most beautiful thing in the universe. anything that does not have free will cannot truely be called alive. eventually i hope we will become mature enough as a collective species to realize what is bad and what is good, so that horrific uses of bad technologies doesn't happen. that doesn't mean they can't, its just people would be mature enough to realize why it souldn't happen.

now the last part of the above paragraph will never happen while humans are too narrow-minded to see the bigger picture of the world than themselves and what beleifs they were brought up with. a species cannot sqabble among itself and hope to survive for long. nuclear weapons will just bring the end around all the quicker, and with the end, mybe our enlightenment as a species.....

dwell on this before replying

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I still thinm weapsn are the worst invention ever. Even though it is in the human nature to kill.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 10:24 PM
link   

I still thinm weapsn are the worst invention ever. Even though it is in the human nature to kill.

very well. each to his own opinion

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by AD5673

But it's not only true for nuclear energy.

It's a paradox, because science help us to live better and longer, but also to accelerate our extinction.

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
the fruit cake

hands down the WORST thing man has ever created.

has anyone ever actually eaten one of these things?

they're more suited for building a house than for eating!

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   
How sickening, sounds like a bunch of dingbat beauty pageant wannabe winners calling for world peace.

Another item that has done more damage than many otehrs - the warning label.
Lookit, if you're so stupid as to light up a smoke while pumping gas or to place a drycleaning plastic bag over your head were it not for warning labels, you really don't need to be polluting the gene pool. You halfwits are worried about inanimate objects like guns that can be used for bad as well as good, I'm telling you to start a movement to rid the world of warning labels so society can get brighter and nuclear weapons won't be as much of a necessity!

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   
warning labels go hand in hand with political correctedness. like the case of the woman being scalded by her mcdonalds coffee. she sued because it was hot and there were no warning labels on the cup that warned it was hot....and so now warnings about coffee, which is supposed to be hot last time i checked, being hot are placed on dups at mcdonalds

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Well don't you think that anything could be the worst invention, just depending on how it's used? Most of things are deadly if wrongly used, and even "wrong" things have a good side, would it only be serving the purpose of research and development.

Also, though not an invention, the worst is that endlessly, some humans will be wicked, more and more, and that it makes the average people more likely to be wicked on his turn than before. Society, the way it goes, creates two kinds of people: those who abuse others, and the ones being abused, more than before I think. Nothing is done for free anymore. You wouldn't get any help if the helper is not expecting a reward. That is very bad.

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Hands down winner

Phone mail

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Nah, its 'image'.

Think about it - how many pukefaced kids in the 60's wouldn't have felt the need to rebel if they hadn't had the mould of the perfect 50's family impressed upon them?

I mean, jesus. A family made up of a man whose killed 50, a woman who cheated on him in the 6 years he was gone, and 6 #ing kids that don't understand? They were all expected to just forget, act like nothing happened. Be the good family! Take your kids to soccer! Hockey! No, not an airplane! That reminds me of the war! Enough talking now kids.

Seriously, without that working of the media world in the 50's, we'd have no drug-filled, sex-filled 60's that likely gave a 1/4 of the western world cancer or some crazy nerve-disease. We'd never have had the violence filled seventies, or the 'anti-oppression' movement of the 80's. Even that awful 'I'm a 90's man. I can be sensitive.' Thing could have been skipped. We'd just have been well-adjusted, and likely learned our lesson, but no, we had IMAGE!

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 07:40 AM
link   
You know, I never looked at it that way. 50's family TV building an image nobody could live up to, thereby causing societal meltdown. Man, its so obvious it should have been me on the nose!! Thanks for pointing out the obvious to this moron, I guess I'm getting slow in my old age.

Pretty good list of worst inventions so far, and Leave it to Beaver is in the lead.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 07:45 AM
link   
mmm...I think cristian television, all that wailing and bible bashing, would terrify me as child

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Worst invention?

The (so called) "protestant work ethic"... We could all be spending time having fun and lazing in the Sun, you know, without it!!

That, and alarm clocks....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join