It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2009 - A "Record Year" for UFOs?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
One of Britain's best known ufologists (Nick Pope, formerly of the Ministry of Defence) has been reported as commenting that, in terms of numbers of UFO reports in Britain, we are on track for a "record year".

The relevant story has been reported on the websites of various newspapers, starting with this story on the website of "The Sun":

HUNDREDS of UFOs have been spotted in UK skies since January - putting 2009 on track to be a record year.

Brits have reported 231 mysterious hovering objects to the Ministry of Defence so far this year - against a previous record of 285 for the WHOLE of 2008.

In 2007 the count was 135, and there were just 97 in 2006.

Former MoD UFO investigator Nick Pope said yesterday: "This is sensational. We are now on target for a record year.

"I thought the number of UFOs reported last year was high, but we now know that they are being seen in increasing numbers."

The story has spread to this page on the website of The Daily Telegraph

The story is also spreading to various blogs and forums.

However, while 231 reports to the British Ministry of Defence in six months is a higher rate than in recent years, if the same rate were duplicated for the second six months of 2009 then the resulting total of 462 reports would NOT in fact be record breaking...

There have been several years in which that number of reports has been exceeded.

I'm fairly sure I have seen a book or Ministry of Defence document containing a table of relevant statistics for at least some recent years, but I don't recall seeing anything online. So, it may be of interest if I do a bit of work to collate below some of the relevant figures (which are numbers given to Parliament in discussions of UFOs reported in Hansard on various dates, which I have previously made available here on ATS).

1959 : 22 reports
1960 : 31 reports
1961 : 71 reports
1962 : 46 reports
1963 : 51 reports
1964 : 74 reports
1965 : 56 reports
1966 : 95 reports
1967 : 362 reports
1968 : 280 reports
1969 : 228 reports
1970 : 181 reports
1971 : 379 reports
1972 : 201 reports
1980 : 350 reports
1981 : 600 reports
1982 : 250 reports
1983 : 390 reports
1996 : 609 reports
1997 : 425 reports
1998 : 193 reports
1999 : 229 reports
2000 : 210 reports

In any event, the total number of reports to the Ministry of Defence (or any other organisation) is of pretty limited value in determining the total number of sightings, given the relatively low level at which UFO sightings are reported.

All the best,

Isaac

[edit on 13-7-2009 by IsaacKoi]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
The story has spread to the website of the Daily Express, with an article entitled UFO Sightings Soar.

That article asserts:

The surge in saucer sightings coincides with a rise in crop circles appearing in the UK fields.

Still no mention of previous years with higher numbers of reports to the Ministry of Defence or any of the obvious factors that could explain why numbers for this year are higher than in recent years (e.g. increased numbers of reports of Chinese lanterns as "UFOs").

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Stars from me

It's good to see some news coverage.
It's also great to see that the acceptance of UFOs are better than ever before

[edit on 13-7-2009 by aalien]

[edit on 13-7-2009 by aalien]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by aalien
It's also great to see that the acceptance of UFOs are better than ever before

Well, some British tabloid newspapers (including The Sun, which is the origin of the story above) have a long history of being prepared to print fairly positive articles about UFOs and crop circles.

The problem has tended to be with more "serious" newspapers and television coverage. I'm not sure there are any signs of changes there...

All the best,

Isaac

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Boy do i love records specially the one involving ufos. this doesnt suprise me it has became more popular in the past years.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by IsaacKoi
The story has spread to the website of the Daily Express, with an article entitled UFO Sightings Soar.

That article asserts:

The surge in saucer sightings coincides with a rise in crop circles appearing in the UK fields.

Still no mention of previous years with higher numbers of reports to the Ministry of Defence or any of the obvious factors that could explain why numbers for this year are higher than in recent years (e.g. increased numbers of reports of Chinese lanterns as "UFOs").

WHO's conclusion is that in the article? Maybe just the view of a journalist that haven't done some proper homework?

Or maybe it's all just wishful thinking that UFOP sightings and Crop Circles ARE somehow related?

Good find thx for posting!

new topics

top topics

join