It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snooping through the power socket

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Snooping through the power socket

news.bbc.co.uk

Power sockets can be used to eavesdrop on what people type on a computer.

Security researchers found that poor shielding on some keyboard cables means useful data can be leaked about each character typed.

By analysing the information leaking onto power circuits, the researchers could see what a target was typing.

The attack has been demonstrated to work at a distance of up to 15m, but refinement may mean it could work over much longer distances.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Makes you wonder if the security services have been using this as a technique to snoop on us and for how long? you can guarantee that they have known about this for some time now. another question i would have is, if you can read data that people have entered via a power socket can you use this as a way of placing data onto another persons computer?

news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Truly scary stuff.

How much would you be willing to bet that if TPTB wernt already aware of this tech would snap it up in a second.

Also iirc Tesla did some experiments where he would light fluorescent lights simply by having them close to the ambient electrical charge that was generated by his coils. So that being said this kind of info gathering doesn't seem so far fetched.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I'd be interested in knowing if they also tested this with a pc using a keyscrambler programme.

The immediate fix seems to be not to use the PS/2 keyboards and get a USB one instead.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I'm sure they are aware of it already.

ZDnet link

Most secure govt. facicilies are built within faraday cages to combat this along with other risks. The short distance makes it very impractical.

One of the things you could do to combat this, if you were worried about it, would be to use the on screen keyboard in Windows, if you use Windows.

If they really wanted to know what you were typing, they certainly wouldn't have to resort to this.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by solidshot

Makes you wonder if the security services have been using this as a technique to snoop on us and for how long? you can guarantee that they have known about this for some time now. another question i would have is, if you can read data that people have entered via a power socket can you use this as a way of placing data onto another persons computer?

news.bbc.co.uk

Yeah... it's called Tempest.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
THATS IT!!!
I'm wallpapering my computer room in heavy duty Renalds Wrap...

And running a 1000 foot extension cord over to the neighbors house..

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Steilhe

Tesla did that, but it's a very different technology (I think) than what's in the article.

This reminds me a lot of Van Eck phreaking, which would be closer to what Stielhe mentioned about Tesla.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
There are security cameras availible now that you can just screw into a light socket and it will send the images through the power lines of your home to a decoder plugged into an outlet near the recorder or tv of choice..pretty cool tech..

Only one camera per home,as it floods the entire electrical system of your home with that one camera veiw..

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Redpillblues

In the UK we also have a networking adapter that allows you to connect your router to a plug that you insert into a mains power socket, you can then place another of these plugs into another mains socket anywhere in your home and connect this to your pc/laptop and gain access to the web without using long network cable or a wireless connection

top topics

join