It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you thnik Bush sould apologize for the treatment of the Iraqi prisoners?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I would like to know of what you people think. Should Bush apologize for the treament of the Iraqi prisoners?

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
For his best interest in politics I think he should apologize. I don't believe he should apologize but if he wants to win this year's election he better have one damn good excuse or apology.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Sure.

It was against the Geneva Convention. It was against common sense and good public policy, as well. If the Iraqis had done that to Coalition captives, we would be incensed.

Torture, bad.
Accepting responsibility, good.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Ooops. I goofed here. Sorry.

[Edited on 7-5-2004 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   
He did. Yesterday. Although, I guess many feel this wans't enough of a apology.

Bush Sorry for Abuse of Iraqi Prisoners
An Excerpt of Bush's Apology

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Although i think he shouldve apologized i just dont fell like anything wrong was done. I mena look at the way the Americans were treated. Killed and were taken all around a city and tortured

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by AD5673
Although i think he shouldve apologized i just dont fell like anything wrong was done. I mena look at the way the Americans were treated. Killed and were taken all around a city and tortured

That's true, but is that behavior we should imitate? It was wrong when they did it; it is wrong when we do it. If you murder my child, should my response be to murder yours? I don't think so.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Yes i agree with you. But i dont know. Still doesnt seem that wrong to me. But i know it is wrong and should not have been done.

[Edited on 7-5-2004 by AD5673]

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Bush standing in front of a microphone and saying he has apologized to abused Iraqi prsioners through the King of Jordan is not especially relevant.

Rumsfeld having to correct a senator's enquiry in the Congress hearing, to say the Bush administration was talking to its lawyers about "compensation" for the prisoners and families, rather than "reparations", about sums up the insincerity of any apology. I wonder how much this will cost US taxpayers as part of the illegal war effort.

Bush reminds me of a stupid Happy Days episode where the Fonz could not get his mouth around the words I "I was wrong".

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AD5673

This sentiment epitomizes EVERYTHING that's wrong with politics, America...nay, the world today.

So the new gold standard according to your comparison is just don't be the worst. Every political commentary now begins with...Well at least......followed by some comparison to a greater evil.

Saddam was worst. The insurgents were worst. Heck even Clinton is used as the ultimate excuse to get away with damn near murder.

As a people we've been dumbed down. The partisan ploys and purposeful division of this country (and world) is so everyone has an excuse to act like apes...as long as there are worse apes to point to as some warped "standard".

How often does HITLER come up in debate now? Too often.

If this is all people want, all they expect of America...fine. Let's be barbarians. But drop the crap about being some beacon of light, or hope for the world.

I, for one, still love America....the IDEA of it. That idea requires not only just being slightly above the worst elements of the world...but the BEST there is in every way. Above reproach....accountable when not, and on the ball to improve and rectify mistakes.

This comparison and standard of "better evils" has got to stop. I liken it to the entire Bush or Kerry, pick your poison, NWO, blah, blah, blah... debate.

I'm not going to settle. I'm more motivated than ever to have an elder statesmen of dignity and character represent my country and lead the free world.

I'm completely ashamed of the current administration. I may be wrong but I have high hopes for President Kerry. He's got quite a mess to fix.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 08:17 PM
link   

I have high hopes for President Kerry

Your saying it as if he is already the president. I for one dont think Kerry would be a good president. He'll probably lie and screw up America even more.

top topics

join