It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swearing 'helps to reduce pain'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Swearing 'helps to reduce pain'

news.bbc.co.uk

Uttering expletives when you hurt yourself is a sensible policy, according to scientists who have shown swearing can help reduce pain.

A study by Keele University researchers found volunteers who cursed at will could endure pain nearly 50% longer than civil-tongued peers.

They believe swearing helps us downplay being hurt in favour of a more pain-tolerant machismo.

The work by Dr Richard Stephens' team appears in the journal NeuroReport.

Dr Stephens, from Keele's school of psychology, came up with the idea for the study after swearing when he accidentally hit his thumb with a ham
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   

But he cautioned: "If they want to use this pain-lessening effect to their advantage they need to do less casual swearing.

"Swearing is emotional language but if you overuse it, it loses its emotional attachment."

Rohan Byrt of the Casual Swearing Appreciation Society said he thought the study was the first time swearing's benefits had been proved.

Well... [snip] me!

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 13-7-2009 by john124]

Removed profanity as per ATS Terms And Conditions Of Use

1b.) Profanity: You will not use profanity in our forums, and will neither post with language or content that is obscene, sexually oriented, or sexually suggestive nor link to sites that contain such content. You will also not use common alternative spellings or net-speak alternative for profane words.

[edit on 13-7-2009 by john124]

[edit on 14/7/09 by masqua]

Mod Note: One Line and Short Posts – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 14-7-2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Well no [snip] Sherlock.

[snip] we all swear but the difference is in the application of the expletive. If you , like the researcher, had stubbed your thumb with a hammer , to relieve the pain you swear , it focuses your attention on somehting other than the pain its all well and good, but if you swear simply for the sake of swearing like Gordon [snip] Ramsey than I think its a sign of a limited vocabulary, or / and intellect. Kids do it to look better than they're mates or simply to atagonise someone else, mainly other people.

Many a time kids round our way have been swearing at all hours just because they can, they think they're being tough for swearing, but in all honesty if you can't have a conversation without swearing then it goes to show you have nothing constructive to say.

Removed mild censor circumventions

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Hmmm well you can have constructive conversation at times, and let your hair down in the pub with less constructive conversation with swearing.

And yeah the whole swearing to concentrate on something else besides the pain is from the school of the bleeding obvious.

Removed quote of entire post directly above

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Sometimes gosh darn just doesn't express it properly.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Anyone who has ever had a tattoo can confirm this one.lol

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   
That was awesome!

I would like to know if they also tried screaming out loud, not swearing, just an agonizing blood curdling scream, lol.

I would still say it could just be the 'release'.

Had a funny conversation with one of my friends, dad's mate when we were hammered. We were discussing swearing and how the word itself causes no offense, it is the offense taken that causes the offense.

Words are words, we give them meaning.

That said, you must also be aware that they have the ability to cause offense, lol.

EMM

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Great thread.

Reminds me of something a famous ice hockey coach/ player once said: (sorry can't recall name or exact quote-duh.)

"Pain is just weakness escaping the body."

Perhaps that is why for some reason, I continue to mash on a sore spot. (But it doesn't seem to make the pain go away.)

I do swear on occasion, but not normal speech. Usually when driving. Oddly the person in the car in front of me is always an idiot and the person in the car behind me is usually a moron.

Dang good thread though.

Regards...KK

[edit on 13-7-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by john124

I second that, i think it does xD

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I personally,welcome some occasional pain!
It is one of the few things, that actually reminds me, that i am still alive!

[edit on 13-7-2009 by scobro]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Oh this is the greatest news I have ever heard, now I can have a reason to swear when I stump my toe on the stairs or accidentally close the door on my fingers
. Though to be quite honest this truly is an interesting find, though I generally swear in my hand when in the house or with company (Not related to my close friends) I wonder would that count?

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Ya know you can replace any 4 letter word with another 4 letter word...

For example instead of telling your boss to go F himself you can tell him to go work himself...or math himself or even love himself. AND the sweet thing about it is only you know what you really meant.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

Grover, that got me thinking.....

I remember seeing the movie "The Exorcist" on network TV.
Obviously they had to edit / remove much of the vulgarity.

But in one famous sequence they left the visual and over-dubbed via dialogue replacement.

In perhaps the most famous scene when her head was spinning around, she paused to utter.....

"Your mother wears socks that smell."

Right before the projectile green-pea soup vomit.

Not quite the same demonic impact.

Sorry to derail. Regards....KK

new topics

top topics

join