It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Its a bizzare feeling getting older than the long-dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   
When I was a teenager I had a poster of Jim Morrison on my wall. At the time he seemed impossibly adult and much older than I'd be for a long, long time.

Morrison died about 36 years ago at the age of 27. Nowadays, a 27-year-old seems like a kid to me.

Morrison has been long dead and will always be 27. What once seemed an impossibly ancient age to me now looks like a tragically young age to die. Nothing about the man himself has changed, of course, but getting older than your old dead heroes ever made it is a bit like watching a penny seesawing down into the dark of a murky pond. Its a bizzare feeling....Morrison will always be older than me, and yet I'm now much older than he ever was.

Same is true not just of dead celebs but also of people you knew growing up, friends and relatives...weird feeling, not sure if I can even express what I want here, but maybe you can get a glimmer of what I'm reaching for.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   
oh i get it. The recent passing of MJ and Farrah made me feel very old.
I'm not old at all by age standards. 38. But dammit I feel 25, I dress like I'm in my 20's still, and occasionally I get mistaken for a college student.
Obviously I won't be one to embrace old age gracefully, but fight it every step of the way. Not to the surgical extreme, but I'll try the healthy lifestyle route.
I know, when you look at celebrities now that you once idolized...they look old and awful.
Even Brad Pitt looks old and ugly to me, as does Angie.
Just goes to show no matter how rich and famous you are, you can't hide from old age, or cheat death.
No spa on the planet can help you with that.:shk:

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Some people are more at peace with it all than others I guess...watch the movie Searching for Debra Winger for example -- there's somebody who made peace with the ageing process (seemingly) and basically quit at the top of her career, while the same movie is also filled with ageing celebs who reek of desperation. MJ is in a way the ultimate example...I think of him as somebody who never moved beyond not only youth but childhood itself.

It's also different for men than for women, but both experience it intensely... it has occurred to me before that ageing and mortality must be hard for many people in positions of great power or with massive wealth, as well...billionares, dictators, world rulers, corporate titans who feel like they can do anything and don't hesitate to manipulate the world at whim...yet they cannot control the rotting away of their own bodies day by day; such lack of control must be a source of ultimate fear and fury for this crowd. A lot of these people spend their whole lives as workaholics and when they finally "make it" they already have one foot in the grave. That's why I'm attracted to those conspiracy theories that have the "powers that be" intensely involved in life-extention/immortality medicine hidden from the rest of us...even though I take it all with a grain of salt, it does make a certain sense; if you are a billionare, after your fifth yacht or whatever, such things must get boring and the mind could easily fixate on life extention as the next goal beyond wealth or power itself.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I have with the passing of my husband in 1996, both parents, best friend and many relatives. Sometimes I feel very old, my life has changed with every passing. It seems like yesterday or many, many years ago, and sometimes like they are not even dead. People like Jimi Hendrix, Jimi Morrison and other celebs - I don't ever feel like they are gone when I listen to their music, they live on for me.

new topics

top topics

join