It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beast of Bray Road/Michigan Dog Man

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Yea skyeyes, I think I saw what your talking about but I don't know what it is. The film goes by it too fast. Did you see the eyes? Spooky. Sort of reminds me of the MonsterQuest show in between scenes they show that monstrous eye.

[edit on 21-7-2009 by Sargoth]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by skyeyes

I saw it, i just chose not to comment on it as it's so blurry and filmed for barely two seconds that it's impossible to tell what it could possibly be. It could be a deer for all I know. Doesn't give any credit to the "baboon theory".

I don't believe it to be the creature filmed at the end either. The blurry thing, whatever it is, is filmed on a hillside near the road, whereas the creature at the end is filmed in relatively level woodlands at what appears to be a good distance into the woods from the road. The blurry thing appears to have longer limbs than the creature at the end. however that could be an artifact of the blurriness and speed of the vehicle while it's caught on camera.

It's entirely possible that the creature at the end of the gable film is some type of large cat. It may even be a mountain lion with a rare coat coloring. If someone was able to get a decent screenshot of the moment you see the teeth and whiskers of the creature at the very end you could compare it to mountain lion tooth pattern and you'd probably find it matched.

However i've never heard or seen a coat coloring like that in a mountain lion. Gray is such an odd coloring for cats and is usually more prevalent in the smaller breeds and sub species. But as with the pizzly(hybrid polar bear grizzly) all things are possible in nature.

It would indeed be thrilling if the gable film actually showed the dogman or some other type of cryptid. But in this case i think(just my opinion after some time considering this option) you'll find that it's something more mundane like a oddly colored mountain lion or some time of wolf, though for sure it's some type of predatory species.

edit: type not time of predatory....stupid fingers

[edit on 21-7-2009 by optimus primal]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   
After watching a whole heap of videos of bears charging, i'm sticking with bear too. Everyone i have shown the video to thinks it's a bear as well.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by donteatthedaisies

really? a bear? what kind of bear?

the only bears native to michigan are black bears. and while there are some small cases of bluish black bears called kermode's they are found in the north-central coast of British Columbia and the yukon territory of canada which is on the other side of the continent. at least according to the international association for bear research. and you can pretty much take that to the bank as bear territory is easy to track and nearly 100% accurate. (there are strange cases....like one i saw on a bear docu where a polar bear traveled ten times farther from normal polarbear habitat, which was the only recorded case ever IIRC, which still wouldn't account for a kermode in MI as that's like thousands of times farther lol)

the size of this creature if a bear would be indicative of an adolescent roughly 2-3 years old. barely of age to be away from it's mother, if at all.

the thing to remember about bears(unless you're facing a grizzly...which you should avoid at all costs) if they're relatively small like the creature from the gable film appears to be, if you're making noise and standing tall they'll take you as a threat not worth the trouble. a guy running through the woods standing tall filming this creature after getting out of a noisy truck......wow i bet i could find a few park rangers who'd love to meet a guy who could find a bear not afraid of that. discounting of course one backed into a corner, or some freak of nature momma bear that's as small as an adolescent.

many people don't really understand how standing your ground, like the videographer before the creature lunges at him, to a small predator will keep them at bay. (baring extraordinary circumstances, like say rabies or starvation or other mind altering disease) well....except mountain lions...they're seriously scary and a whole different story. but wolves and bears are similar in the respect that they scare easily in nearly all conditions(blackbears that is grizzly's aka brownbears are also a different story, but irrelevant here) of in the wild encounters.

edit to add: that's if you could even get close enough to see one. many people who live in the more wild parts of michigan and wisconsin never even see a bear their entire lives, although they may evidence of their presence. i've only seen bears maybe twice here in wisconsin. once for sure from a distance, and maybe a second time...i'm still not sure it was a bear..

of course i'm not counting zoo's, just in the wild encounters.

bears are pretty smart, they usually stay away from noise and humans. i was just trying to recall if i've ever heard of a bear becoming roadkill and really now that i think about it ....i never have, leastways not around these parts.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by optimus primal

here are some images of black bears for comparison

from www.gotpetsonline.com

from www.wildlifemanagementpro.com

from www.hooknbullet.ca

now, these all appear to be adults...but from what i've seen in the wild at least once for sure, at local zoos and on many a tv docu(bear docus are cool watch any you can get your hands on!) and comparing against the gable film...i think i can safely proclaim that the creature in the gable film is definitely not a blackbear, the only bear native to michigan.

edit to add: notice also that in general most black bears have a light to dark brown nose, which would contrast fairly well with the bluish gray coat of the creature on the gable film. also notice the size of the snout...compare to gable film....

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by optimus primal

many people don't really understand how standing your ground, like the videographer before the creature lunges at him, to a small predator will keep them at bay.

...hello?... you think that critter was small?... how big are you?...

...reality is - if you encounter an agressive bear that perceives you as prey or a threat, you're in deep doodoo - unless you've got a gun and even thats an iffy kinda thang...

...reminds me of an old joke... you know how to tell if a bear ate a tourist?... in the scat (poop), there's the distinct odor of pepper spray and odd metallic things that, upon closer inspection, turn out to be bells...

...there used to be a kodiak (stuffed) on display at the petro truck stop east of chicago... that sucker scared the snot out of me early one morning (wasnt even daylight yet) back in the 90s... walked in there, half awake, just wanted to weewee and get some coffee and there it was, just inside the entrance, in full attack posture... it was a dang good thang i had bladder control, lol... whoever thought it was a good idea to put that there was a very disturbed person...

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

i sure do. the man filming is standing upright, and is anwhere from 5-6 ft tall. meaning at the should that bear is no more than 2-3 ft, possibly 3-4. standing it would probably be as tall as the guy filming, that's not very large.

in the last ten years there have only been 25 bear attacks reported for the us and canada, not counting unreporteds of people like the crazies who go off to live in the woods and nobody ever sees them again. care of www.blackbearheaven.com...
that makes them pretty rare considering IIRC in wisconsin, where i live, there are estimated to be approx. 10,000 black bears. making moderate noise, standing tall and making yourself look as big as you can is sufficient to scare off most bears, even many large bears. and they nearly always give you plenty of warning that they've had enough of you. while it's always best to be very cautious of bears, it's not good to be overly fearful of them as that will lead to a lot of mistakes if you ever encounter one that can get you dead and in their large stomach.

for instance here's a brown bear telling the videographer to back the heck off before he gets serious. we see none of the normal traits of a bear in the gable film.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   

You can't go by colour much because the film is obviously old and the colour isn't quite right through the whole thing, and yes, i think it could easily be a large 600lb black bear. They have killed people before.

[edit on 21/7/2009 by donteatthedaisies]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   

the color of the gable film doesn't appear to be off any appreciable degree to true color really, black would still look black, and does in the film. here's a video of a 600 lb black bear

you really believe that the creature in the gable film looks like this???

to me, it's obviously not a bear...the body is all wrong. the face is all wrong, including what we see of it in the last few moments of the film, the neck is all wrong. the pronounced hump at the tail end of the creature is all wrong. i'm really not understanding how you can think that what's in the gable film looks anything like what a blackbear looks like....

edited to add: and yeah, bears have killed people...in fact i already quoted a site in a previous post all about bear attacks in us and canda. i believe a previous poster was unable to find any mention of an aaron gable being attacked by a bear. ....or was that the other gable film thread...hmmm.

also by hump at the tail end i was referring to the pronounced hump at the tail end of blackbears that is not seen in the gable film's creature. at least not clearly enough to determine if it is there or not. it appears to me to be relatively level from neck to tail end.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Very interesting. I slowed it down a bit and zoomed in the best I could without ruining it.

Enjoy.

(click to open player in new window)

[edit on 21-7-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

you know the more i see those teeth at the end, the more it screams mountain lion to me.

what do you think slayer?

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   
it's almost 4 am here in wisconsin... i gotta get my butt to bed before my wife murders me and all anyone finds is a bloody mess. you don't mess with pregnant women....scarier than a bear.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Honestly.
The verdict is still out.
It's not a bear.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Well Rats! I think I just ruined my own fun.

I went to the original dogman site yesterday and found where you could download the movie in a quicktime format. After playing with the brightness and contrast and playing, pausing, etc ... I have to say I am now convinced it's a dog.

What say you?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e325c62f64fd.jpg[/atsimg]

There has to be someone out there with more expertise in playing with this kind of stuff than me. You can download a better version for yourselves HERE

I'd like to hear what you all think.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
No way it's a dog or cat. It's way too wide and fat to be a dog or cat. Closest thing is a Bear. Not a 100% sure but the film just isn't good enough too be sure.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I know nothing about this beast/legend, but I thought this might be of interest. Browsing through, I saw posters talking about bears/dogs/wolves & sloths, etc. But seeing the footage for the first time one thing just screamed at me: that thing looks/moves like a baboon! I was toying with posting my thoughts, but decided against, as the idea of a baboon in North America seemed too absurd. Then five minutes later I came across a post mentioning something about an escaped baboon.

It may not clear up the legend but I now feel a lot less mystified by the clip in question.

Just the perspective of fresh eyes.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

yes i believe it was an olive baboon mentioned.

here is some info and a video for comparison for you.

The Olive Baboon is named for its coat, which, at a distance, is a shade of green-grey.[3] (Its alternate name comes from the Egyptian god Anubis, who was often represented by a dog head resembling the dog-like muzzle of the baboon.) At closer range, its coat is multi-colored, due to rings of yellow-brown and black on the hairs.[4] The hair on the baboon's face, however, is finer and ranges from dark grey to black.[3] This coloration is shared by both sexes, although males have a mane of longer hair that tapers down to ordinary length along the back.[4] Besides the mane, the male Olive Baboon differs from the female in terms of size and weight.[4] Males are, on average, 70 cm tall and weigh 24 kg; females measure 60 cm and 14.7 kg.[4] Like other baboons, the Olive Baboon, does not have a flat face, but a long, pointed, dog-like muzzle.[4] In fact, along with the muzzle, the animal's tail (38–58 cm) and four-legged gait can make baboons seem very canine.[3] The tail almost looks as if it is broken, as it is held upright over the rump for the first quarter, after which it drops sharply.[3] The bare patch of a baboon's rump, famously seen in cartoons and movies, is a good deal smaller in the Olive Baboon.[4] The Olive Baboon, like most cercopithecines, has a cheek pouch with which to store food.[3]

olive baboon wiki

www.fotosearch.com...

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
One problem is that it's hard to tell the size of the beast. It does move like a baboon, and the teeth and ears look baboon but I've never seen a baboon that wide and thick in body and limbs. Also the fur is bear-like, covering 100% of the creature. What someone should do is put a photo of a grissly bear and the biggest baboon right next to the beast for comparison. The arms and shoulders of it look huge, more like a Gorilla than bear, but I don't think it's a Gorilla, the teeth aren't Gorilla. The teeth are carnivore teeth.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Sargoth

I concur. In fact about an hour ago I was looking up baboon & mandrill videos on YouTube & got distracted by the bizarre clips of baboons ransacking tourists' cars, etc.

A detective on a case like this would surely want a definitive yes or no on whether an animal really had escaped from a zoo in the area, and work backwards from there. Was this ascertained with any certainty?

In any case I have to agree the creature in the clip does at least seem to have the bulk of something more like a gorilla. Holy cow, you wouldn't want to be confronted by anything like that...

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I don't believe the thing in the gable film to be a baboon or a gorilla. i was just providing a video and photograph for comparison.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join