It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

St. Paul's Cathedral

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 11:07 PM
link   
This one I knew about, but I didn't believe the 80ft. remark completely, I thought it was a tad bit over-stated, in fact it's almost 90 feet and the highest point in the chapel is 355.5 feet!

Purportedly built at first in wood (originally the bishop of london was elsewhere since 300s on) by freemasons in 604AD

www.geocities.com...

But that I can't really verify any other way, and don't want to bother to

But in 1600s, after the Cathedral had again burned down, it was rebuilt to its grand scale now by Freemason Christopher Wren.

Cathedral site:

www.stpauls.co.uk...

This Cathedral is even more amazing than the Rosslyn Chapel

Sincerely,
no signature

PS Guess this is pretty forward and just informational, not much room for discussion unless someone has some evidence saying Christopher Wren wasn't a freemason, or any info on its constructions in the 600s.

[Edited on 11-2-2003 by FreeMason]

posted on Feb, 11 2003 @ 01:11 AM
link   
The sheer magnificence of St. Paul�s is beyond question, F_M. Actually, you may know that the Norman St. Paul�s � the predecessor of Wren�s cathedral - that was burnt down in 1666 was by all accounts a phenomenal structure. Worth a search if you�re interested.
With any of Wren�s churches there�s always the difficulty of knowing the extent to which eh followed the previous design or the whims of his patrons �it�s well known that Charles II tried to influence the design of St. Paul�s and that Wren went out of his way to keep whole sections of the building secret (literally under wraps).
That his son was a freemason seems almost indisputable but �while freemasons have long tended to claim Wren as their own, there does seem to be room for disagreement on the issue. If anyone was likely to meet freemasons, it would have been Wren; but for everyone convinced lodge historian you�ll find a sceptic dismissing it as a fable. And, a great many masons do hedge a little "probably" etc.
Incidentally, Shefield University has a thriving centre for all sorts of discussion of this issue �it�s a bit �pick and mix�; but you might be interested and they do entertain correspondence.
www.macartneylodge.co.uk...

new topics

join