It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Four Atheist Quotes That Hit Home.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Conclusion
reply to post by badmedia

That is true about being a false teacher, but if one's understanding was similarly aligned then the truth could be perceived.

Right, in which case it wasn't me that gave them the understanding.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Yes. But the understanding is an answer. It is you that gives the question.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

I don't consider myself an atheist, more an agnostic but I like this quote.\

“An atheist is a man who has no invisible means of support.” John Buchan

When my brother, a fundamental christian learned I no longer believed in the god of the bible, he expressed his concern by saying " I no longer had a place to hang my hat".

I don't think fast but I should have told him I don't wear a hat.

Good post

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by liveandlearn

I don't consider myself an atheist, more an agnostic but I like this quote.\

“An atheist is a man who has no invisible means of support.” John Buchan

When my brother, a fundamental christian learned I no longer believed in the god of the bible, he expressed his concern by saying " I no longer had a place to hang my hat".

Good post

What an awful thing for your brother to say to you, talk about brain washing.

it really would have been hilarious if you would have said the i don't wear a hat thing

[edit on 7/13/2009 by Alaskan Man]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by liveandlearn

I do believe in God, and i do believe that was wrong.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by liveandlearn

I too have a brother that is christian. Though I don't wear a hat either, I don't tell him that I no longer believe as he does because, I still want to HAVE a brother

By the way, your sig is fast becoming a fav quote of mine:
"I reserve the right to change my mind about any belief when more information comes along"

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Conclusion
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

Ok. lol. Lets say its not taken away. You are free to live, die, scream, cry, what ever it is that you want to do.

...then we would have chaos... social mores (codes of behavior / laws) are required to temper those who cannot or will not temper themselves and to help insure the survival of the group... however, the existence of those codes/laws prevent the concept of "being totally free" from ever becoming a reality...

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Histopherness

Hi Histo/

Thomas Jefferson was not a Christian!

Jefferson's Syllabus of an Estimate of the Merit of the Doctrines of Jesus, Compared with Those of Others.

The Jefferson Bible~
And Im sure if one as to search the net or books, one will see that Jefferson was not Christian.

ICXC NIKA
helen

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I was saw a quote a few years ago by someone famous that went something like:

"the only difference between an atheist and a christian is the atheist doesn't need fear of hellfire and damnation as a reason to act morally responsible."

I'm paraphrasing, but it was something like that, I'd love to find the real quote again, so if anyone knows it or who said it I'd love to know.

Good thread.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks
...then we would have chaos... social mores (codes of behavior / laws) are required to temper those who cannot or will not temper themselves and to help insure the survival of the group... however, the existence of those codes/laws prevent the concept of "being totally free" from ever becoming a reality...

The thing about freedom is it also includes the ability to give it away. It's the ability of choice that makes one free, not what the choice made is.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Oh I have lots of favourites. I'm agnostic. I'm a Jesus Atheist. I believe only in a creator but not the god of the bible. It only makes sense in my head.

A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows. – Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain)

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. – Anonymous

I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence. – Doug McLeod

Since the Bible and the church are obviously mistaken in telling us where we came from, how can we trust them to tell us where we are going? – Anonymous

Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer. – Anonymous

Be thankful that you have a life, and forsake your vain and presumptuous desire for a second one. – Richard Dawkins

In Christianity neither morality nor religion come into contact with reality at any point. – Friedrich Nietzsche

A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it. – David Stevens

Religion does three things quite effectively: Divides people, Controls people, Deludes people. – Carlespie Mary Alice McKinney

Properly read, the bible is the most potent force for Atheism ever conceived. – Isaac Asimov

I have no need for religion, I have a conscience. – Anonymous

Jesus hardly made the greatest sacrifice. He knew he would be resurrected anyway. – Anonymous

Don't Pray in my school and I won't think in your church

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by favouriteslave

you had some good quotes in there (or sayings)

well i am off to bed, night all

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Not a problem. I was well on my way to understanding some truths and disallowing brain washing. And like I 'implied' I am a slow thinker and have to contemplate a while before responding, then, sometimes there is just no point in bringing the subject up.

He also counseled my 'ex' husband to divorce me. I divorced him first because I refused to put up with what I can only 'nicely' describe as nonsense.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Conclusion

I do believe in God, and i do believe that was wrong.

This is what he believed and probably still believes

Wouldn't it be great if we all understood everything perfectly.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Here's a quote I enjoy:

"Man was not made by God, but God was made by man."

link   
reply to post by JustMy2Cents

I too have a brother that is christian. Though I don't wear a hat either, I don't tell him that I no longer believe as he does because, I still want to HAVE a brother

By the way, your sig is fast becoming a fav quote of mine: "I reserve the right to change my mind about any belief when more information comes along"

That was my concern as well but I am not the one who told him, it was my ex husband. When my now ex told him this, my brother counseled him to divorce me. However, I beat him to it. Best decision of my life.

As for the sig, please feel free to use it. The more people who get a clue that they don't have it all figured out and it is okay to change your mind the better. I think it is called having an 'open' mind. You may even be able to say it in a better way than myself.

link   

I'm sorry, maybe it's the fact that it's very late and I'm very tired or maybe I'm a little slow right now, but I had absolutely no idea what it is that you are referring to. Was it one of the quotes that I posted, the whole thing, or the general subject of this thread?

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia
Such as the fact you can not generate a random number with logic. That's a fact, widely known and scientifically accepted/proven.

What is Random ?

Result of our inability to calculate all possible interactions in complex enough systems ?

And, yet, there is simple algorithm (logic) which can run on ordinary calculator and it's capable to generate perfectly random digits of PI all the way to infinity, go figure

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Great quotes, very clever, funny and witty ones!
I'm not an atheist, nor do I follow any religion. But man some quotes truly ring true sometimes huh?

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
One of my favorites, don't know where I got it from.

"There is a Devil there is no doubt, but is he trying to get in you or trying to get out?"

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join