It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Four Atheist Quotes That Hit Home.

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by TurkeyBurgers

To see a deeply conservative Christian video basing it's entire argument against Evolution on "Science not having yet been able to determine what caused the Big Bang".
even atheists have to put faith somewhere.science, evolution,

[edit on 13-7-2009 by randyvs]

Yes, we put our faith in sanity and realistic belief systems.

We don't need a book to tell us how to live. We don't need to follow a cult in order to survive.

Thanks though, for your concern.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Former Governor Jesse Ventura: "Organized religion is for the weak minded."

I'm not an athiest, but I also don't belong to an organized religion, so I always loved that quote! Sorry, if it's a repeat.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Yes, if God doesnt grant me my wish to win the lottery, then of course he doesnt exist!

But seriously, I dont get this whole asking God for help thing. Unless its sort of a last ditch attempt.
Like if someone prays for help on a test, and then does well, their thankful to God for it arent they. Why cant you just do a decent amount of revision, have an early night and then do well because you knew the right answers and had a clear head... why get God involved? And when apparantly helping people... does he deem requests for help from some kid asking for help on a test, and someone else praying they dont die of cancer, of the same importance?

'you people really don't even deserve to believe in God.so i'm happy.'

Whats all that about? Thats not a very nice thing to say coming from somebody who believes in God, we're all supposed to be special arent we... 'deserving' anything shouldnt come into it.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by GorehoundLarry

concern
if that 's what makes you feel better. you can call it that.but it's
been nothing short of entertaining for me. can you imagine all
of us in a room together. i been think'in about that the whole time.lmao
sort of derail don't ya think?

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluebelle

ok you got my attention . i apologise if i confused you w/ some of
the members i been hav'in fun w/.don't take any of that to serious k?
see i'm not like homer simpsons next door neighbor.

'deserving' anything shouldnt come into it.
i'm not sure i follow this though. can you say more .

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   

People don't know how to be responsible for their own actions. If something horrible happens, they have to ask "Why would God do this?!"

Well, simple: He didn't. Because God does not exist. Actually, IMO, God's a female. Life is a bitch, why? Because God is.

Sorry, had to

Also, a lot of believers don't wanna do anything in order to achieve happiness. They want their God to give it to them, for free. Forget work, let's have our imaginary friends just give us what we want.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alaskan Man
Here are four quotes from atheist thinkers that speak to me.

Feel free to add your own atheist quotes, and just to be fair and balanced if you religious folks wanna throw in yours that's fine to.

Without further ado, here are my four favorites.

“Question with boldness even the existence of God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.”
Thomas Jefferson

why must he aprove of reason, when more than half of your reason is wrong?

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
Stephen Roberts

the other supposed heathens never explained all the answers like ultimate god did. didnt think about that one did you!

“I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.”
Richard Dawkins

their is a lot of understanding in the bible about the world. and the world was made so complex that you would never figure it out. if you did the world would seem to be a square instead of the way you experience it now.

“An atheist is a man who has no invisible means of support.”
John Buchan

thats because you supposed to stay faithful and believe in the valley of darkness to prove that your good enough to go to paradise.

I look forward to reading what you guys think about these quotes, and which ones you yourself admire.

Mod's: sorry if this is in the wrong forum, feel free to move it.

[edit on 7/12/2009 by Alaskan Man]

heres my quote " an atheist is man who doesnt believe in anything and there for deserves no freedom of religion"

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Sorry to butt in on your party people, but i have never seen so many people on one thread know so little about the subject they are talking about.

I have just read the last 5 pages and you could fit the combined knowlege of the lot of you in a tea cup..

Have you noticed how not many believers are on this thread.
It's because they can't get up of the floor from laughing.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by GorehoundLarry

Text

Well, simple: He didn't. Because God does not exist. Actually, IMO, God's a female. Life is a bitch, why? Because God is.
kind of imposing don't you think?

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jon1

And nothing of any value was contributed to the thread.

Thanks for the awesomely non informative post.

Really enjoyed the quotes that you posted...oh wait.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jon1

what do i'm doing mr. wizard.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

ok you got my attention . i apologise if i confused you w/ some of
the members i been hav'in fun w/.don't take any of that to serious k?
see i'm not like homer simpsons next door neighbor.

'deserving' anything shouldnt come into it.
i'm not sure i follow this though. can you say more .

Oh its okay, I dont take much on here seriously... Im not one of those internet warrior type people that get seriously offended by what complete strangers say!

The deserving thing, I mean that we're all supposed to be special little individuals, we can all be forgiven etc.. so we all deserve the same.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by TurkeyBurgers
reply to post by jon1

And nothing of any value was contributed to the thread.

Thanks for the awesomely non informative post.

Really enjoyed the quotes that you posted...oh wait.

Sorry, forgot the quote...

"Never have so many known so little."
(one of mine)

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluebelle
reply to post by randyvs

Yes, if God doesnt grant me my wish to win the lottery, then of course he doesnt exist!

But seriously, I dont get this whole asking God for help thing. Unless its sort of a last ditch attempt.
Like if someone prays for help on a test, and then does well, their thankful to God for it arent they. Why cant you just do a decent amount of revision, have an early night and then do well because you knew the right answers and had a clear head... why get God involved? And when apparantly helping people... does he deem requests for help from some kid asking for help on a test, and someone else praying they dont die of cancer, of the same importance?

Whats all that about? Thats not a very nice thing to say coming from somebody who believes in God, we're all supposed to be special arent we... 'deserving' anything shouldnt come into it.

your supposed to pray to god in sincerity. if i were him i wouldnt just answer your prayers because of vanity. why would he just answer your prayers for things like clearing up your acne. when the only reason your doing it is for the acne and not the personal connection with god.

he was wrong on his quote every one deserves to believe in god but its your fault for not believing. atheists just dont know.

oh and to jaxon roberts quote. believing is harder than not believing and there for not for the weakminded but the people who are truely willing to do the harderthings like believing.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by jon1
Sorry to butt in on your party people, but i have never seen so many people on one thread know so little about the subject they are talking about.

I have just read the last 5 pages and you could fit the combined knowlege of the lot of you in a tea cup..

Have you noticed how not many believers are on this thread.

Followers are religious institutions lack knowledge. It's alright though, I understand where they're coming from.

Kinda

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Homer Simpson quote "God is my favourite fictional character"

I am agnostic and found this funny first and foremost - hence the posting.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
what knowledge did you seem to be looking for. you seem to think that none of us are believers, yet i gave you my answers on the quotes. your jsut another atheist that is so weak minded and spiritually lacking that without god you will be the cause of the worlds destrustion you and everyother athiest, who seems to think they can get away with anything and go unpunished. its you athiests that are responsible for every disease known to man because of your intolerance to god. example aids and stds because of your fornication. stealing and swindling has ruined the economy. so on so forth you feel that you know better than god so you will ruin yourselves. and i will be happy to see you die. hahahahaha

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
"Lest you humble yourself as a small child you will in no wise enter the kingdom of God."--Jesus Christ

If a child is about to touch an open flame, will you not stop him? We teach our children from a very young age to read and write. We teach them math and science. If we do not teach them spirituality at a young age, when it is import, then we do them a great disservice. People look at it like it is hard or they don't want anyone even God telling them what to do. That is because we are truely free to choose. We are free to choose, but as we have learned in this life our choices effect our future. If we make wrong choices that equals bad futures and so on and so forth. Which leads to this, The younger we learn to accept the truth, whatever you believe it is, the more you will embrace it and learn of it.

I actually have a problem with this quote... If the child is too young to understand the repercussions of touching the flame (getting burned), then yes, by all means stop him/her. However, if the child is old enough to learn a lesson in touching the flame, then you should let them. If you want this child to be a follower and believe what others say without question, then stop them. If Jesus or God want us to question them, or want us to come to our own conclusions, then shouldn't we encourage children to have their own experiences?

This was just a thought as I have a daughter that is just shy of 2 years old.
I want her to keep an open mind and enjoy learning and experiencing new things as much as her mother and I.

BTW, excellent thread!

This should've been a 'reply to', but I screwed up...

[edit on 13-7-2009 by badkarma1981]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jay.mo

Could you provide a link to the evidence to back up the claim? You could be eligible for the Nobel prize in Pathology if you could "show your work" as they say.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   

so we all deserve the same.
ok yes absolutly on that i must agree. things are sometimes
very well said w/ the fewest of words. that pretty much kicks it to
the curb.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join