It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Four Atheist Quotes That Hit Home.

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alaskan Man
Here are four quotes from atheist thinkers that speak to me.

Feel free to add your own atheist quotes, and just to be fair and balanced if you religious folks wanna throw in yours that's fine to.

Without further ado, here are my four favorites.

“Question with boldness even the existence of God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.”
Thomas Jefferson

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
Stephen Roberts

“I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.”
Richard Dawkins

“An atheist is a man who has no invisible means of support.”
John Buchan

I look forward to reading what you guys think about these quotes, and which ones you yourself admire.

Mod's: sorry if this is in the wrong forum, feel free to move it.

[edit on 7/12/2009 by Alaskan Man]

The Thomas Jefferson one does it for me - thats a VERY clever quote, because it steps ABOVE the atheist v deist debate and appeals to REASON in all of mankind, no matter what your religious belief is.

For if God made man, and man's brain can reason, then it stands to logic that God does NOT want you to be a slave of him. I think many educated theologians (and religious folks) can agree with that point.

Jeffersons quote is against idiotic fanaticism.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Also that second Kirk Cameron video where he is interviewing an Atheist. Kirk revealed that he was at one time an Atheist. He said he had thoughts about the start of the vascular system regarding what came first the the Heart or the Blood or the Veins.

These are AWESOME questions to ask! He is definitely asking the right questions. The problem is that he is stopping right there and saying "It seems to complex and it appears that there is no scientific answer to these questions" and instead says that "God did it".

I like to think of myself as being an Atheist not for it being a Faith in Atheism but rather as a refusal to let Faith bias my study of Religion.

I DO NOT want to have to view my life as ending at death. I WANT to find proof there is an afterlife! I WANT to find data revealing to me there is a greater power or a god or a spirit inside of my body!

By refusing to allow my personal wants and desires to corrupt my examination of the study of religion I am forced to believe that evidence indicates there IS no God. It is not something I will let myself be influenced by my fear of death or my STRONG desire to communicate with an omnipotent being.

Cut out the bias in your study. Remove it completely and let the evidence speak for you.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
belief in nothing is the same structure as belief as something, still heirarchy of belief.

religion does not refer to belief in "God" or a transcendent Absolute.

According to this definition, religion refers to one's primary worldview and how this dictates one's thoughts and actions. Thus religion is considered by some sources to extend to causes, principles, or activities believed in with zeal or conscientious devotion concerning points or matters of ethics or conscience, and not necessarily including belief in the supernatural.

so your just like everyone else, whats the big deal?

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
"....I got nothin"

-anonymous and various

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
When it comes to BS...BIG-TIME, MAJOR LEAGUE BS... you have to stand IN AWE, IN AWE of the all time champion of false promises and exaggerated claims, religion.

Religion easily has the greatest BS story ever told. Think about it, religion has actually convinced people that there's an INVISIBLE MAN...LIVING IN THE SKY...who watches every thing you do, every minute of every day.

And the invisible man has a list of ten special things that he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish where he will send to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry for ever and ever 'til the end of time...but he loves you.

Trillions and trillions of prayers every day asking and begging and pleading for favors. 'Do this' 'Gimme that' 'I want a new car' 'I want a better job'. And most of this praying takes place on Sunday. And I say fine, pray for anything you want. Pray for anything. But...what about the divine plan? Remember that? The divine plan.

Long time ago god made a divine plan. Gave it a lot of thought. Decided it was a good plan. Put it into practice. And for billion and billions of years the divine plan has been doing just fine. Now you come along and pray for something. Well, suppose the thing you want isn't in god's divine plan.

What do you want him to do? Change his plan? Just for you? Doesn't it seem a little arrogant? It's a divine plan. What's the use of being god if every run-down schmuck with a two dollar prayer book can come along and # up your plan?

And here's something else, another problem you might have; suppose your prayers aren't answered. What do you say? 'Well it's god's will. God's will be done.' Fine, but if it gods will and he's going to do whatever he wants to anyway; why the # bother praying in the first place? Seems like a big waste of time to me. Couldn't you just skip the praying part and get right to his will?

I noticed that of all the prayers I used to offer to god, and all the prayers that I now offer to Joe Pesci, are being answer at about the same 50% rate. Half the time I get what I want. Half the time I don't. Same as god 50/50.

Same as the four leaf clover, the horse shoe, the rabbit's foot, and the wishing well. Same as the mojo man. Same as the voodoo lady who tells your fortune by squeezing the goat's testicles. It's all the same; 50/50.

So just pick your superstitions, sit back, make a wish and enjoy yourself.

And for those of you that look to the Bible for it's literary qualities and moral lessons; I got a couple other stories I might like to recommend for you. You might enjoy The Three Little Pigs. That's a good one. It has a nice happy ending. Then there's Little Red Riding Hood. Although it does have that one x-rated part where the Big-Bad-Wolf actually eats the grandmother. Which I didn't care for, by the way. And finally, I've always drawn a great deal of moral comfort from Humpty Dumpty. The part I liked best: ...and all the king's horses, and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty together again. That's because there is no Humpty Dumpty, and there is no god. None. Not one. Never was. No god.

R.I.P GC

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Of all religions the Christian is without doubt the one which should inspire tolerance most, although up to now the Christians have been the most intolerant of all men.
~Voltaire

It ain't the parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand.
~Samuel Clemens A.K.A Mark Twain

I stopped being Christian some years ago, it just makes no sense, but I am still a big fan of Jesus Christ the man. Read between the BS and he seems to have a thinker much the same as the rest of us, questioning his religion. And remember you Christians out there, Jesus was Jewish; he didn't believe what you are preaching either.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

atheism

'the belief that there was nothing
and nothing happened to nothing
then nothing magically exploded for no reason creating everything
and then a bunch of everythig magically rearranged itself
for no reason what so ever
into self replicating bits which then turned into dinosaurs"

and the Bible is full of fairytales?

i'm pretty sure this calls for some rethinking.

[edit on 13-7-2009 by randyvs]

yea you're right. Talking bushes, totally logical.
a woman giving birth but a virgin? if you ask me, someone got porked.
Jesus rises from the dead? So you Christians worship a Jewish zombie?! Awesome. Romero must be proud.

Religion itself needs some rethinking.

If you have to believe there is God in order to be happy, then you probably need to end up in therapy, not church. Why does there have to be Christian or Muslim creator in order for the world to be alive? I don't get it. Of course....there HAS to be something right? We just couldn't evolve, f that. Adam and Eve were actually the first living creatures that ever roamed this planet right?

Like I said, religion needs some rethinking.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Your's is a common error. In at least three of these four quotes you appear to be confusing accepting a religion with accepting the existence of God. They are two very distinct things.
What views on the existence of God have you examined other than those presented by 'religious' leaders? If the village idiot believes there are little people in the television and can produce only nonsensical opinions on the subject, would you consider his inability to explain the phenomena or the idiocy he offers to account for it as proof that televisions are a myth used to control the ignorant?
Are you as firmly committed to your scientific dogma as any 'religious' fanatic has ever been to their myths?
John Adams once referred to Thomas Paine as "that dirty little atheist". If you keep this in mind as you read Paine's The Age of Reason you may grasp why, at a minimum, you need to more clearly define your terms.

Condemnation without Investigation is the height of Ignorance.Einstein

There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all argument, and which cannot fail to keep man in everlasting ignorance. That principle is condemnation without investigation.
- William Paley (1743-1805).

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
atheists are
extremists just like
religious people

one believe in one thing
other don't believe in
the same thing

both have no proof
whatsoever

and yes, there is an
intelligence higher
force that is
creating life

it is called:

NATURE/UNIVERSE

funny thing how some atheist scientists/people
are so arrogant to say there is no higher intelligent
force but cannot create even small
amoeba from scratch...

NATURE CAN! It created arrogant scientist... too!

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I really like the third one.

“I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.”
Richard Dawkins

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluebelle
I really like the third one.

Richard Dawkins

i love that quote.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

atheism

'the belief that there was nothing
and nothing happened to nothing
then nothing magically exploded for no reason creating everything
and then a bunch of everythig magically rearranged itself
for no reason what so ever
into self replicating bits which then turned into dinosaurs"

and the Bible is full of fairytales?

i'm pretty sure this calls for some rethinking.

sounds like you haven't studied any of the actual theory's, you just formed your own opinion of them based off there title.

deny ignorance.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TurkeyBurgers

To see a deeply conservative Christian video basing it's entire argument against Evolution on "Science not having yet been able to determine what caused the Big Bang".
even atheists have to put faith somewhere.science, evolution,

atheism. all half baked ideas from the mind of men.each having at best
50 good years of extensive experience w/ the grand scheme of all things
and by his own admission hasn't even scratched the service of true knowledge. in fact he complains that the more he thinks he knows the more
questions he has.
sorry my faith belongs somewhere else, and if i'm wrong in the end.
well at least i'll still be as happy as any atheist.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Sorry, late to the thread as usual.

2 Quotes by me on topic:

"What do you say when an atheist sneezes?"

"Anyone can talk to GOD the trick is getting him to talk back."

My view of religion (posted before):

I once attend a High-School football game.
Before the game, both teams huddled, knelt and prayed.
Apparently, GOD didn't root for the losing team.

Regards...KK

[edit on 13-7-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

please keep civil.
that was only about the facts. pretty raunchy for some one who
believes in God though. huh! ya! there's a message in it. but no biggy .
i can be sybil too.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious
I once attend a High-School football game.
Before the game, both teams huddled, knelt and prayed.

Regards...KK

[edit on 13-7-2009 by kinda kurious]

I love that about religion.. I get that we're all supposed to be special, but do people really believe that somewhere God is deliberating over whether or not to help you win a game.. or maybe pass a test at school? And what happens when God doesnt answer these calls, people say that it wasnt meant to be or maybe 'there's a reason for everything'. In which case, why ask for help if ultimately your destination is already set out?

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

ahem, i think maybe that's what cain n able was all about.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluebelle

I love that about religion.. I get that we're all supposed to be special, but do people really believe that somewhere God is deliberating over whether or not to help you win a game.. or maybe pass a test at school? And what happens when God doesnt answer these calls, people say that it wasnt meant to be or maybe 'there's a reason for everything'. In which case, why ask for help if ultimately your destination is already set out
so Gods got to be your genie in a bottle, or he doesn't exist
right? you know what this been fun but, you people really don't even deserve to believe in God.so i'm happy.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

And nothing of value was lost.

Do not let the thread hit you in the back on the way out.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join