It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Four Atheist Quotes That Hit Home.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by TurkeyBurgers
reply to post by badmedia

I challenge you to present a Religion that did or does not use an Afterlife or a continuance of the soul as it's main selling point.

Celtic Paganism.

They believed in an Afterlife, but it wasn't one with strings attached. It was as natural as taking that first pee in the morning. There was no concept of SIN per se, only to come to a standstill in your life. Gods had very little to do with the affairs of man, and you couldn't readily do something to piss of a God either, unless you were a druid (priest).

So, yeah, there are plenty of religions which don't use an afterlife as a persuasive argument.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I have to admit that this is possibly one of the best ever quotes. It is going in my memory bank.

Thank you

"When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by tungus
1. He had only one major publication.
2. It was in Hebrew.
3. It had no references.
4. It wasn't published in a refereed journal.
5. Some even doubt he wrote it by himself.
6. It may be true that he created the world, but what has he done since then?
7. His cooperative efforts have been quite limited.
8. The scientific community has had a hard time replicating his results.
9. He never applied to the ethics board for permission to use human subjects.
10. When one experiment went awry he tried to cover it by drowning his subjects.
11. When subjects didn't behave as predicted, he deleted them from the sample.
12. He rarely came to class, just told students to read the book.
13. Some say he had his son teach the class.
14. He expelled his first two students for learning.
15. Although there were only 10 requirements, most of his students failed his tests.
16. His office hours were infrequent and usually held on a mountain top.
17. No record of working well with colleagues.

source

Never heard or seen anyone look at it this way........pretty creative I must say..

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
"atheisms best kept secret "

[edit on 13-7-2009 by randyvs]

here is the problem with Kirk Camerons concepts here...

The Bible ACTUALLY AGREES!

Genesis 1
1In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

2And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

3And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

4And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

What is VOID? NOTHING!!!!!

No time, no space, no heaven and earth.

Whether or not you posit an intelligence behind this or not is meaningless...

[edit on 13-7-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by GorehoundLarry
Atheism is the only healthy & logical way to live life in my opinion.

s&f

For you........And if that works for you then good for you, you now have peace of mind......

Others may need something else.....

Some would argue the opposite and it would still the truth......

Just a question though....

You really think out of all time and space, you were put here on this lonely only populated planet in the universe just to live approx. 70-100 years of existence and then never to get to experience any of life after that?

That seems so wasteful in a universe where absolutely nothing is and can be wasted.

Since all energy interacts and IS then you dying does not mean you never will live again but that your energy and your conscience will be spread throughout the universe and maybe you will learn new lessons.

What is the point of you being here at all if there is nothing more to life, nothing to learn, nothing to experience , and no wisdom to pass on.

What is the point of passing on wisdom and learning to live good if we will all just NEVER exist again EVER ???

That does not seem logical to me. But either does organized religion.

You see where I'm coming from ?

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Why does science always think it has found THE truth when really they only find A truth?

Just because it is true, does not mean it is the only thing that is true. Remember that

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
"I don't think I'm superior. Just less violent. I don't know many wars that were founded on the ideals of atheism."

AS POSTED,
ATHEISM HAS KILLED 1/4 TO 1/3 BILLION PEOPLE IN THE LAST 100 YEARS; THE ONLY 100 YEARS ATHEISM HAS BEEN A PLAYER ON THE WORLD SCENE.
ATHEISM HAS KILLED MORE PEOPLE IN THE LAST 100 YEARS THAN ALL OF THE WARS IN ALL OF HISTORY. (Lenin, Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao just for a start)

SEEMS TO ME THAT MAN HAS A BIG PROBLEM.
ATHEISM APPEARS TO BE LESS EFFECTIVE AT LIMITING MAN'S BIG PROBLEM.....
A PROPENSITY TOWARD EVIL AND DESTRUCTION.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia
So basically, you make the point that people can be fooled by such things. But chin up - I was surprised when I found out as well, and I used random numbers for years.

No.

My point is that ALL random numbers are only Random because we did not or are not able to make connection at the moment ...

When we do, then we call them "pseudo-random".

So, again, question, what is Random, how do you make a decision, where is the line, what guarantees Randomness ?

The "true" random generators of today generate those numbers from atmospheric "noise" but they are not any more random than any sequence of the digits of PI (all the way to infinity), they are both functions of Chaos and therefore equally "random" to the observer...

Again, what is Random ?

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by barksplinter
Atheists are the most close minded group of people I have encountered. There are a LOT of close minded religious people but I have never met a religious person who would not admit their religion was FAITH BASED. It is the RARE Atheist that will admit theirs is a FAITH BASED belief system. Not very open minded on that subject it seems.

Ok I have a problem with this. Most Atheists were at one time Christians or other religions. Most like me have tried many religions and beliefs before becoming atheist. I'm not closed minded. I've seen and practiced both sides of that coin, I just know the other half is wrong. I don't need faith to have no belief systems. That is what atheism means= absence of belief or faith in a god. Atheism is not a religion or a belief system therefore it does not require faith. Scientists don't stand around every dawn saying "I have faith the sun will rise again" they know it will, it's a scientific proven fact.

Having faith in something means you cannot prove it to be true or fact, you must take it on faith.

So if I may disagree with you there, please understand.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   

ATHEISM HAS KILLED 1/4 TO 1/3 BILLION PEOPLE IN THE LAST 100 YEARS; THE ONLY 100 YEARS ATHEISM HAS BEEN A PLAYER ON THE WORLD SCENE.
ATHEISM HAS KILLED MORE PEOPLE IN THE LAST 100 YEARS THAN ALL OF THE WARS IN ALL OF HISTORY. (Lenin, Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao just for a start)

How do you figure that one out.....???
Atheism has killed more people that all the wars in history! lol hahahhaha
thats a good one!!

How may wars do you know of that were started by Athiests???????
As far as i know, every country in the world that has been in a war has believe in a god on one form or another... even the US civil wars, although not waring because of religion, they had and still had a strong sense of religion.... just as in India.... China.... Irag... Iran... Pakistan... Japan.... not forgetting the Romans and any other conquering "race"
The leaders of all these countries.. and more... all have and still have religious footholds...

lol... like i said.. hahaha good one!!! lol

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Thank you HunkaHunka, awsume post I loved it. It is good to see beleivers here on ATS...

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I respect the atheist argument on the existence of god because it spawns exciting and necessary brain stimulation and open mindedness, I hope the next few lines will catch the attention of all atheists out there, please tell me what you guys think.
"How do you study the infinite (god) with only your sense organs?"

Also...just think of this...according to modern day physics, your eyes can only decode 0.005 % of the light spectrum out there that you call "reality". Now you can explain to all the atheist's out there why "god" is invisible

(this is not my personal opinion, just wanting to get some criticism and discussion going)

PEACE TO ALL.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

The Bible ACTUALLY AGREES!
so now the Bible agrees w/ atheism,and therefor is a book
about nothing.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Atheists have shorter life spans than those who believe in higher powers. Mind over matter. Spiritual awakening over technological advancement. I'm not taking either side but you do the math. I want to live long enough to see disclosure and the ones who get to see it will be truly ironic.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Here's one of my favorites.

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?

Doulas Adams.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
"Those that confuse religion with God are truly lost."
~LoneGunan

I think a lot of the quotes I read in the OP are referring to religion and not God. Definitively not spirituality.

God is not controlling nor does God believe in religion. God is. As we are.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Not sure how exactly neutral some are, bu things I've run across in my time.

"Don't speak to me of God, I out grew my imaginary friend when I was a child. I don't need another one."

best one was a routine by George Carlin: www.rense.com...

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I really appreciated that Kirk Cameron video. I think that it is very important to note that Science has pushed the Faith of Religion all the way back to the brink of the Bing Bang.

How incredible!

To see a deeply conservative Christian video basing it's entire argument against Evolution on "Science not having yet been able to determine what caused the Big Bang".

Now THAT is cool to see. Religion studying Science for the topic of debate. That impresses me.

I would also like to add a rebuttal to your post Hunka that the religion you describe most certainly DOES have an afterlife. It might not apply any regulations to it's members on what it needs to do to get into that afterlife but I can imagine people joining the religion saying

Disciple- "What do you have to offer"

Religious Leader- "Oh we got a God...we got some prayer"

Disciple- "Sounds good sign me up"

Religious Leader- "Oh yeah we also got this thing called the "Afterlife" so when you die you get to live on in bliss...no strings attached"

Disciple- "Oh Bonus! I mean I do not really care one way or the other about an afterlife I just want to pray to a god and worship it."

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
What do you think of this quote?

"Progress is Providence without God. That is, it is a theory that everything has always perpetually gone right by accident. It is a sort of atheistic optimism, based on an everlasting coincidence far more miraculous than a miracle." G.K. Chesterton

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Albert Einstein- "God does not play dice!"

Isaac Newton- ""The most beautiful system of the sun, planets, and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion on an intelligent and powerful Being."

Sir Frances Bacon- ""It is true, that a little philosophy inclineth man’s mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion; for while the mind of man looketh upon second causes scattered, it may sometimes rest in them, and go no further; but when it beholdeth the chain of them confederate, and linked together, it must needs fly to Providence and Deity."

Lone Ranger and Tonto
----------------------------
The Lone Ranger and Tonto are camping in the desert, set up their tent, and are asleep. Some hours later, The Lone Ranger wakes his faithful friend.
"Tonto, look up and tell me what you see."
Tonto replies, "Me see millions of stars."
"What does that tell you?" asks The Lone Ranger.
Tonto ponders for a minute.
"Astronomically speaking, it tells me that there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets.
Astrologically, it tells me that Saturn is in Leo.
Time wise, it appears to be approximately a quarter past three.
Theologically, it's evident the Lord is all powerful and we are small and insignificant.
Meteorologically, it seems we will have a beautiful day tomorrow.
What it tell you, Kemo Sabi?"
The Lone Ranger is silent for a moment, then speaks.
"Tonto, you Dumb Hoss, someone has stolen our tent."

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join