It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More deformed fish found in Noosa River

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   

More deformed fish found in Noosa River

au.news.yahoo.com

The owner of a Sunshine Coast fish hatchery has again called for a moratorium on the use of some farm chemicals after the discovery of more deformed fish in stock from the Noosa River.

Queensland Primary Industries Minister Tim Mulherin says fresh reports of two-headed mullet embryos - and a single three-headed embryo - will be investigated by a special task force that was set up in January.

Hatchery owner Gwen Gilson says the deformed embryos were produced after she used mullet from the Noosa River as breeding stock.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 7/13/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
sounds like the Simpsons, but not eyes, heads!!

it is just unacceptable that chemicals are being used that can produce results like this downstream.

what is it doing to the human beings in the area?????

we have similar problems on my island, chemicals used for the forest industry that are destroying oyster farms and possible contributing to the demise of our Icon animal the Tasmanian Devil.

I hope something becomes of this, but i fear not.

au.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 7/13/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Of course I instantly thought of the Simpsons too 2theC, lol

Scary stuff

Maybe off topic- but we really should avoid the larger fish ie flake- too much Mercury- they say to eat 'little fish' but who knows it's getting that way that unless you grow all your food yourself you really have no idea what you're eating.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
thats pretty weird aye
i might have to go up there fishing and see if i can get any

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
You guys are eating and drinking this..

About time you sign some environmental treaties...

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Local knowledge here.

Interestingly the tests on the river reveal close to nothing re chemicals and the macca farm she blamed for the first incident hasn't been spraying, so who is she going to blame now. Don't hear of other hatcheries having the same problems. Ms Gibson should be up for defamation given the way she openly blamed the macca farm for using endosulfan, when they haven't used it for years. Me think the problem lies elsewhere (possibly within).

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by GEORGETHEGREEK

Kyoto...?

I thought we did, albeit late.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by thestink

thats' interesting, local knowledge is always good , eh

but why are these fish doing this, there must be something wrong somewhere

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   
I remember watching Today Tonight or similar program and there is a Farm the DPI have on notice and have tested the chemicals the use for spraying. This has been going on to long.

As the Australian Tourist industry struggles, the popular Noosa River in Queensland is being threatened by bureaucratic inaction to stop the use of agricultural chemicals that are killing and deforming its fish.

The same chemicals are used in Macadamia nut farms in many catchments from northern NSW through Queensland and are may be killing millions of fish annually.

www.crikey.com.au...

Deformities in the fish had increased as the neighbouring macadamia nut plantation had expanded in the past two years to virtually border the hatchery on three sides, said Landos. Rapidly developing pest-control technology also meant smaller particles of pesticide could travel further. Chickens, horses and sheep at the hatchery were also experiencing birth defects and foetal deaths at abnormally high rates, he said.

www.ecochem.com...

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by thestink

Yes they have been doing their best

Whether or not the impacts of agricultural chemicals are clearly understood, how serious have some farmers been in protecting the river catchment by minimising spray drift and run-off in accordance with industry best practices? (The neighbouring macadamia farm bordering the fish hatchery, according to the interim report, "is considered to be operating under industry best practice guidelines").

econews.org.au...

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by 2theC

Ms Gibson conveniently destroyed all the evidence of this latest claim, making it difficult for anyone to investigate it.

The greenies are now involved making the usual factually baseless comments.

This will quickly turns into the little boy who cries wolf.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by GEORGETHEGREEK
You guys are eating and drinking this..

No we're not. Our water comes from reservoirs, and dams, and lakes.. which are getting dried up. Soon we will most likely be getting our water from the ocean, but it will be highly filtered through, among other things, burning the water and using the vapour.

new topics

top topics

join