It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the CIA were on ATS...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
**Gemwolf has shut this thread idown for duplication, even though it is NOT the same as the one cited, and deals with a different topic.
This thread was about how intelligence agencies would go about getting info on users.

Moderators are far too intrusive on ATS.**

Let's play make-believe.

As it happens, I expect that various govt. agencies monitor ATS and similar boards, to finger subversives.

And we've seen some theories lately suggesting that the CIA etc. might be starting threads to get personal information on members.

So, let's do some blue-sky thinking about just how intelligence agencies might use a resource like ATS.

Scenario: you work for the CIA, and you've just been given the brief of identifying potential troublemakers, potential members of subversive organisations, potential terrorist sympathisers active in online communities.

The list of online communities given to you includes Above Top Secret (who are we kidding: it's near the top of the list).

What's your strategy for getting personal info on these 'bad guys' (lol)?

[edit on 12-7-2009 by eniac]

[edit on 12-7-2009 by eniac]

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
so what you are asking for is people to give lists of those that may be flying under the radar for now so to speak?

Wouldn't that just make your job,, I mean their job easier?

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
to fly under the rader, you have to be obvious and ask outright and not be sneaky about it, more and more people disbelieve those who tend to beat around the bush so to speak... you will be surpized at the info someone will give by just asking them when your in a conversation

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Well frankly then that is your fault if you pony up the info on yourself

I participated and told my username...big deal...if someone really wants to find me they are gonna find me

-Kyo

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by eniac

So... first thing I'd do is find out the legal position on getting personal information from Web site owners. I assume they can't, directly.

Second thing is, I'd go talk to the I.T. guys down the hall at Langley, and ask them if they can dig up personal info on a given person, if I give them a username. I reckon they can do this in a lot of cases: I remember Warreng pwned a guy, served him up his name and location with a simple google search (I assume), because he used the same username for multiple accounts on ATS, Digg, Flickr etc.

But with no access to ATS' logs, and no other easy hints, the I.T. boys at Langley probably have other ways to find out who such-and-such a User is, in some cases at least.

So... I'd then get my people to scan all threads on a daily basis, and report any comments which threaten people in authority, or which advocate organised resistance to authority etc.

Or I'd just suck up all comments and threads with a script and comb them automatically for keywords like 'Obama', '911', 'Bush', 'Cheney', 'kill', 'resistance' ... you know, the usual stuff. And have such comments reviewed, and the Users noted and cross-referenced. Potentially threatening comments could be 'scored', such that someone actually saying 'I'm sick of this, I'm gonna GET [authority figure] ..' is flagged as a serious threat, and is reviewed with a view to finding out who that person is, and putting boots on the ground to monitor them where they live/work. Users who consistently make less overtly threatening comments or who are clearly subversive and could be deemed as possible enemies of the State would also be monitored. I would find out their real names, track everything they do both on ATS and on other Web sites, and pass their name to local offices as a possible subversive in the event of mass demonstrations in their area, or whatever.

The Honey Trap
I'd also set some honey traps.

What I'd do is, if I suspected some users of subversion, I'd try to win their trust, then try to get some

Think about it: you're a 911 Truther, you hate Obama and think he's part of the NWO (for the record, I like him and don't believe in NWO... as such). Your posts on ATS reflect this. Now, suppose that I also present myself as someone just like you. We become online friends. One day I say to you that I'm gonna start some organised demonstrations, or start an organised Truther group, or even do some physical harm to Govt. property. Are you in?? Great intel right there. And ATS etc. is a fantastic place for Govt. agents to infiltrate groups.

Frankly, I've no doubt whatsoever that this place is riddled with stooges.

Oh, and I'd also start threads with things like 'What does your avatar say about you?' And also maybe 'CIA is on ATS', just to provoke a response lol...

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by eniac

As it happens, I expect that various govt. agencies monitor ATS and similar boards, to finger subversives.

would they have the time and/or man-power though.

maybe alien myths and all that serve them a purpose.

or maybe they have nowt to do with it what so ever

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

You could say that.

Or, you could say that crowdsourcing ideas on how these guys do their thing makes a person less susceptible to intel. techniques.

I think it's a worthwhile exercise, thinking about how these guys work.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by contactee

would they have the time and/or man-power though.

maybe alien myths and all that serve them a purpose.

or maybe they have nowt to do with it what so ever

As to man-power, monitoring web communities/boards is the cheapest Intel they could possibly do. So I reckon they're big into it.

I don't know about the Alien stuff. I'm into it, but have absolutely no idea whether govt. agencies would be remotely interested in Alien-enthusiasts.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
i would have thought that a broadband router is like a mobile phone and can be traced to its position.

once the spook has your address, pretty simple from there....

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Either read THIS POST or continue the discussion in the existing thread.

You will not post identical content, or snippets of identical content, to multiple threads in the discussion forums. You will also not create more than one thread for your topic, or create multiple "slightly different" threads for a single topic.

Thank you.

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join