It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antarctic Base Camp UFOs-2009!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I’ve always found UFO sightings in Antarctica to be especially interesting. Here are a couple of vids culled from a time lapse webcam two Australian camps post online.

First one from the Davis camp:

And a daytime picture of the same location:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/669486cbb220.jpg[/atsimg]

And a second video from the Mawson camp:

And a daytime picture of the same location:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/11df3481b30a.jpg[/atsimg]

Here are the locations of the bases:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e68591dc704c.jpg[/atsimg]

I’d be very curious to see what you all think. It certainly appears to be a vehicle, but note the times at the bottom of the frame. Each photo is taken 10 minutes apart. Those are some slow flying planes/helicopters and do you really fly over the Antarctic in the dead of night? Natural phenomenon? Can’t think of any. It’s not hoaxed by the bases, perhaps the youtube poster. It’s a damn fine job if it is.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Interesting video. At first I thought moon or sun. But clearly the pathway in the first does not match up and the second video shows a light shining at the ground locally.

Very interersting video's. What is known about flightpaths of airplanes in that region of resupply??

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
April 4th. I believe it's called "the Sun". In April it gets about 5º above the horizon (at the highest).

[edit on 7/12/2009 by Phage]

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
April 4th. I believe it's called "the Sun". In April it gets about 5º above the horizon (at the highest).

Doesn't seem likely. Take a look at the full day time lapse videos at the camps' site. Notice the time of day when the sun is up. The sun behaves differently and days in July are shorter than days in April. In the Mawson tape, the "sun" is visible around midnight.

[edit on 12-7-2009 by fls13]

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I haven't done any research on this case yet, but thinking about all other cases of UFOs seen in that camera (and with the camera pointing exactly on that direction), I think that would be the Moon.

But I may be wrong, as I said, I haven't done any research about it.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
seems to be a visible ufo in the mawson pic, look at the upper left...

and in the mawson video, is the object becoming super bright for a moment and lighting everything up, then turning off, and repeating?

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
If it is a UFO, its doing a pretty good impression of the sun (or possibly the moon, if the camera white-out it). The antarctic/arctic sun doesnt look like your average sun, since it can get very low and show all sorts of amazing looking effects.

[edit on 12-7-2009 by merka]

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
I haven't done any research on this case yet, but thinking about all other cases of UFOs seen in that camera (and with the camera pointing exactly on that direction), I think that would be the Moon.

But I may be wrong, as I said, I haven't done any research about it.

That makes more sense. The sun doesn't rise in the middle of the night, plus when it does, it actually lights up the camp and makes what we know as daylight.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by fls13

You're right, I had the wrong coordinates. It's the moon. I'll add a view from stellarium...soon.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I think that there is one thing wrong with the sun/moon theory. even if I where to assume that video one is indeed the sun/moon passing in a weird angle due to the position of antartica and the Southpole. Video two clearly shows a beam on the ground much like a spotlight. No matter how you look at it, that can't be the sun/moon cause the sun/moon doesn't make a spotlight.

Planes and choppers might, the sun/moon will not.

[edit on 12-7-2009 by AncientShade]

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Wait hold on. I know for a FACT that Mawson and the Davis station use lasers and I know that they fire those lasers in the sky and sometimes do space experiments with them. What if what we are seeing is a cross of the lasers? Could it be possible? I mean it seems plausible. Or it could be the moon, it seems to follow a fixed pattern each time, not what you would expect from a flying aircraft.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Actually, the second video could be of the moon. Thou it is at a weird angle taken. It is the moon passing the stationairy camera on a horizontal level caused by the angle of the earth's southpole. In the video an opticle illusion is appearing that makes it look asif the beam of the moon over the water is actually a horizontal beam coming from a hovering light. It is in fact the moon. The flash of light is caused by the moonlight directly striking the cameralens.

I think this is a nono and we are dealing with the moon.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
For what it's worth:

Mawson Station. 67°36' S 62°52' E. April 5, 2009. (The time is off because it thinks it's in my time zone). (right click>view image for the whole thing)
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7853b9e0fb90.png[/atsimg]

[edit on 7/12/2009 by Phage]

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by AncientShade
I think that there is one thing wrong with the sun/moon theory. even if I where to assume that video one is indeed the sun/moon passing in a weird angle due to the position of antartica and the Southpole. Video two clearly shows a beam on the ground much like a spotlight. No matter how you look at it, that can't be the sun/moon cause the sun/moon doesn't make a spotlight.

Planes and choppers might, the sun/moon will not.

I never saw that as a beam, just reflection from the object off the snow. It's why I ruled out CGI in my head. That would have been very tough to do.

The moon was very full on April 9. Sometimes simple solutions are the best . . . unless the moon's path in the sky that day doesn't check out.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by fls13
The sun doesn't rise in the middle of the night, plus when it does, it actually lights up the camp and makes what we know as daylight.

Perhaps the Sun is not rising, but setting.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoomsdayRex

Originally posted by fls13
The sun doesn't rise in the middle of the night, plus when it does, it actually lights up the camp and makes what we know as daylight.

Perhaps the Sun is not rising, but setting.

Definitely not the sun. That rises around 9a and sets around 4p. Moon is certainly looks like the best natural answer. In the first video, it certainly appears the object is getting closer and then going away from the camera. It also traverses the sky in about 20 minutes which seems quick.

Sun and Moon Data for One Day

The following information is provided for %28no Name Given) (longitude E62.9, latitude S67.9):

Thursday
9 April 2009 Universal Time + 6h

SUN
Begin civil twilight 08:01
Sunrise 08:57
Sun transit 13:50
Sunset 18:41
End civil twilight 19:37

MOON
Moonrise 17:55 on preceding day
Moon transit 01:05
Moonset 08:55
Moonrise 17:38
Moonset 10:56 on following day

Full Moon on 9 April 2009 at 20:57 (Universal Time + 6h).

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
And here's the full day time lapse of the mawson tape. It's the moon . . . case closed. Still very cool to see a full day Antarctic style in a few seconds. Thanks for the contributions. Your eyes can deceive you.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by fls13

I always love these Antarctic threads regardless, oh the mystery land! LOL, an Antarctica thread (Lake Vostok drilling) is how I found this site again to begin with.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Oh yes, I was a big polar exploration buff when I was a kid. Knew all about Amundsen, Byrd, Peary, Shackleton all the rest. Great stuff and those guys who go there for research do great work . . . and do report UFOs now and again.

top topics

join