It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sci-fi is now SyFy..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Ok why in the world would they want to change their name?! I was reading that they were trying to get away from the "geek" image, well being a total dork myself I LOVED that image! I love bad sci-fi and quite honestly loved watching the movies on there. Some were so bad you had to watch and some were actually really good. I dont like the name either...They said it goes with the times of shorthand and text messaging. I mean please! It looks stupid imo. I fear now that Sci-Fi will eventually turn into another useless channel that I use to love. I lost my fearnet and now this! Why?!!!! They havent said much on their new approach but I read a few things and i DONT like it! I love sci-fi and that was the only channel I could see those types of things on. I started wondering when they started to show WWE on there, I mean WTF?! I use to watch a lot of tv but over the last couple years I have stopped. There is nothing to watch and when I do find something they cancel it or change the programming of the network. LAME! I want the old SCI-FI back!! I can only hope that it stays somewhat close to what it started as but I highly doubt it. Thank God for my netflix!

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Rebranding the channel and throwing hundreds of thousands of dollars down the toilet.

It could mean the channel will eventually move away from science fiction and start airing more wrestling and reality shows. Viacom is thinking about starting their own science fiction and fantasy show as they have an impressive library thanks to Paramount.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by kidflash2008

Rebranding the channel and throwing hundreds of thousands of dollars down the toilet.

It could mean the channel will eventually move away from science fiction and start airing more wrestling and reality shows. Viacom is thinking about starting their own science fiction and fantasy show as they have an impressive library thanks to Paramount.

Yeah I read that about Viacom as well. I am so sick of reality shows! WHen this channel came out I was happy and now in time they will ruin it and it will be all crap programming like the rest of the networks.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
OMG...fearnet...-swoon-

I love the scifi/horror genre as much as I lvoe taffy

and I'm a man who loves his taffy :-p

Seriously though...there always seems to be a great start to a fresh idea like SciFi Channel...then it fades until like MTV and VH1 (who don't play music anymore) just turn into obscurity...I hate the reality TV age we are in

-Kyo

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by KyoZero
OMG...fearnet...-swoon-

I love the scifi/horror genre as much as I lvoe taffy

and I'm a man who loves his taffy :-p

Seriously though...there always seems to be a great start to a fresh idea like SciFi Channel...then it fades until like MTV and VH1 (who don't play music anymore) just turn into obscurity...I hate the reality TV age we are in

-Kyo

Agreed! I was so pissed when they took off fearnet. I mean WHY?! Was it that bad? I love horror movies and that was the only place I could see them when I wanted. I hate when they take a good thing away. Oh dont even get me started on MTV. They need to change it's name asap cause it has nothing to do with music anymore....well unless you are up at 3am and catch that one hour of videos with people talking all though them

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
There does seem to be a (frighteningly) major lack in cognitive processing when it comes to media these days.

Conspiracy? anyone?

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   

They did tell people to watch MTV2 if they wanted their music videos, but they turned that channel into a reality showcase. Music Box and some independent channels still carry music videos. I will have to try and remember some of the Canadian channels I used to watch that showed nothing but music videos.

All those networks are trying to reach the same audience of the younger viewer (age 12 to 29). Forget about anyone who is older or does not subscribe to what their peers watch, they think that viewer ship age watches the same thing. Be prepared for reality shows to last for a long time.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Yeah I just noticed that last night

That's stupid... who runs these companies lol...

Changing from Sci Fi to Sy Fy is going to make the "Cool Kids" like it better?

That's a good chuckle....

Comic Movies and sci fi dominate the top movies at the box office anyway...

MAAAAAAAAAYBE if the had less shows and movies with 100,000 dollar budgets and did some good original shows like show time and Hbo that would work?

But what do I know... :bnghd:

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
You know, I saw that the other day. I was thinking.... "Wait, did scifi change the spelling or is this a new but similar channel?"

Apparently they changed their spelling... I am not sure why... I imagine it is some type of an attempt to be "cool" and attract a younger crowd perhaps...

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Yeah, I hear they've shortened the name to go with short speak or text speak of this age. Notice all the kids testing on their cell phones these past few years?

Remember back in the day when everyone used the letter X to spell things, It's XTREAM, it's XCITING, it's XCALABAR.
BLAH! Trends kill me some times. :bnghd:

[edit on 7/14/2009 by Slash]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
SyFy? SyFy????

Talk about catering to the lowest common denominator...

I have real issues with text speak...what's wrong with calling it what it is?

I'm sure the next thing they're going to try is "reality" tv shows...oh, rapture. I like their bad sci fi movies ("Hammer of Thor", anyone? so bad it was comedic).

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
quite frankly, they no longer deserve to be called Sci-Fi. They have dishonored their programing, and so they have dishonored themselves. crappy horror/science fiction movies/shows was what made them who they were. That's what made them unique. now they're showing ECW? seriousely?! what happened down the line?

these are sad, sad times

And as a side note: the whole txt speak is really starting to
me off. Stop being so
lazy! I can see txting one or two words, but damn! speak english!

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I often enjoy watching SciFi. Particularly when they're airing the old Twilight Zone episodes, which is usually late at night. Or when they play ridiculous horror movies I've never heard of before that are sometimes scary yet laughable at the same time. Either way I found that other than an hour or two a week they had pretty much been one of the only channels to hold to their message.

I don't really understand the point of this name change. It looks dumb. It's childish. But as said above, it also possibly indicates a change in direction and that would really be tragic.

We have more than enough channels of garbage out there. I hope SciFi hasn't joined the trend.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I like the SciFi channel. Watched Eureka and Warehouse 13 last night.
I don't care what the name is as long as they don't keep pumping out Lou Diamond Phillips movies. Those tend to suck.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
SyFy? SyFy????

Talk about catering to the lowest common denominator...

I have real issues with text speak...what's wrong with calling it what it is?

I'm sure the next thing they're going to try is "reality" tv shows...oh, rapture. I like their bad sci fi movies ("Hammer of Thor", anyone? so bad it was comedic).

I love their bad movies! Some arent so bad..lol

I still hate the new spelling and the whole new look period! They will ruin it with the new programming they want to do....grrrr

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redajin
quite frankly, they no longer deserve to be called Sci-Fi. They have dishonored their programing, and so they have dishonored themselves. crappy horror/science fiction movies/shows was what made them who they were. That's what made them unique. now they're showing ECW? seriousely?! what happened down the line?

these are sad, sad times

And as a side note: the whole txt speak is really starting to
me off. Stop being so
lazy! I can see txting one or two words, but damn! speak english!

Oh yeah ECW really?! I was like wtf?!! I thought I was on the wrong channel when I saw that! I use to love Sci-Fi!

As for text speak, my friend who is damn near 36 uses and it annoys me to death. I cant undertand a word she types or texts. It just sounds really uneducated! GRRR but that is me.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
I like the SciFi channel. Watched Eureka and Warehouse 13 last night.
I don't care what the name is as long as they don't keep pumping out Lou Diamond Phillips movies. Those tend to suck.

Haa yeah he is like Steven Segal for Sci-Fi..lol

I like Warehouse 13 so far after only a couple episodes...I havent watched Eureka since I was told to start from episode one otherwise I would be confused but I have heard its great.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Sy Fy?

To sound cool?

The best way to NOT be cool is to try to be cool.

It's like Carl Sagan doing Linkin Park in a Karaoke bar.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

It's like Carl Sagan doing Linkin Park in a Karaoke bar.

Actually, I would love to hear that!

top topics

join