It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swearing Can Reduce the Feeling of Pain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Scientists have discovered that uttering swear words can help to lessen the feeling of physical pain. The study by researchers at Keele University found that volunteers were able to withstand pain for longer when they swore compared to when they used words which were not offensive.

Telegraph

That's right all those four letter words were told not to use, that just seem to poor out of us when we get hurt, they have a purpose! it may be our body's natural pain duller kickin' in

BTW i don't think cursing out of frustration counts

edit: Mod's if this is in the wrong forum, feel free to move it.

[edit on 7/12/2009 by Alaskan Man]

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I don't normally use swear words.

But, when I get hurt those bad words just fly out of my mouth. And they are the most despicable swear words I know.

And to top it off, I emit a deep scream through my teeth.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by dizziedame
I don't normally use swear words.

But, when I get hurt those bad words just fly out of my mouth. And they are the most despicable swear words I know.

And to top it off, I emit a deep scream through my teeth.

I am the same, I don't curse much (kinda bugs me when people have to curse in every sentence), but when I get hurt bad, the s-word fly's out of me repeatedly without regard for bystander's, and much faster then I can normally speak lol.

I am sure some of you know what i am talking about

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
ahahah ohh this explains me sooo well

There's some times when I am hurting bad that the words will come out and I just don't even think about them... it's almost unconsciously. But strangely enough, i notice a relief from the pain (even a minor amount) immediately.

Very interesting study.. thanks for bringing it up

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
The last time I dropped a piano on my foot I said XXXX XX XXXX
I found that it helped. I think that it must have something to do with adrenalin production.
Nice post..

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
As a long term chronic pain sufferer, my thought is that anything to distract you helps. If a person is concentrating on the cursing, they aren't thinking about the squished toe as much (as an example). People praying serves the same idea. It moves their mental focus off the pain or injury slightly. I actually use distraction methods quite a bit to cope with anything beyond my normal pain level. It does help!
Thanks for posting this, really interesting stuff!
~pre
(I also believe God helps me through pain when I pray. Same can't be said of swearing, of course) =)

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   

[color=pastelgreen]Finally a good excuse to swear.
[color=cyan]I have a headache you Bastard!!

[edit on 1-12-2012 by MR BOB]

[edit on 13-7-2009 by MR BOB]

top topics

join