It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Democrats Will Seek Massive $540 Billion Tax Increase

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

Oh, but, but, Obama is going to have another stimulus for the falling smalls businesses, so they can pay their tax increases.

Truly I wonder where the morons in Washington are getting their ideas from.

Still the trade and crap bill is going to kill businesses if its passed anyway.

I guess our for the people congress doesn't have any other thing to do but manufacture ways to hurry up and finish kill the nation.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Doesn't surprise me at all.

In PA, they are having trouble getting a budget together, so the wonderful governor we have, "Fast Eddie" Rendell, said, "Let's raise taxes!!"

They aren't paying the state workers, looking to maybe furlough some, but are continuing to pay prisoners.

Seems like the Dems, who claim to always have the best interest of the people at heart, always seem to think that all problems can be solved by soaking the people for a little more money.

Hope and change, anyone??

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
PANIC! PANIC! People that aren't me, who way way more money than I do, are being taxed!! Nooooo!! The sky! Look out it's coming down!

Republican panic orgy!! Ahhhhh!

Sorry I got caught up in panic! That often happens to me when things that don't affect me in any way allow me a conduit in which to panic and complain!

I read most of the thread, first of all way to not even read the article most of you. The majority of people on the first page panicked before even realizing they don't make $280,000 /year and never will. Then reality kicked in and as if on queue the fall back position of; "but it'll ruin small business and thereby the country will collapse" is blindly thrown into the ring.

Clearly none of you parroting on about small businesses eating this have ever run nor know of anyone who has run a small business. A small business owner does not make $280,000 /year
If you think that, you're so far out to lunch you shouldn't even be in on the conversation. $280,000 /year for a small business

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieOctopus

Small business is defined as businesses with less than 500 employees.

Now will that definition change according the this administration who knows. Either way if you don't think this effects you - you couldn't be more wrong.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II
reply to post by Indianapolis

Wow!

Representative Charlie Rangel, head of the House Ways and Means Committee, said the bill would include a tax on Americans earning more than $350,000 per year that would raise $540 billion over 10 years. The tax would begin in 2011 and have higher rates at the $500,000 and $1 million income levels.

Representative Eric Cantor, the second-ranking Republican in the House, told the "Fox News Sunday" program Rangel's bill included an "incredible half a trillion dollar tax on folks making over $200,000 a year."

Somebody please give Rangel a reality pill! This would make small business in America collapse, and skyrocket unemployment numbers. If you think 10% is bad, think about 20% to 30% unemployment if his 'plan' is initiated.

But it is ok. If everyone in the US is unemployed and the economy completely stalls out, Obama will just tax our unemployment checks and welfare checks so that the government can support us by giving us unemployment and welfare checks.

Obama will save you from from everything including Obama's own salvation!

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   

No, see what he is doing for those out there that fall in between? he is now going after government workers on contracting defense department and cutting and slashing salaries while eliminating more jobs (sending people to unemployment) while converting back to government jobs.

Most of the people that hold contracting jobs in bases around the US.

So much for the stimulus of keeping jobs while creating new ones.

Yes I know because my husband is one of those that will be getting a cut.

And he doesn't make the 250,000, he is creating a working poor class of educated people with not other means to get better pay jobs as our nation can not longer support a working middle class.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife

Small business is defined as businesses with less than 500 employees.

Now will that definition change according the this administration who knows.

Who defines a small business as 500 employees or less? Not the republicans making the arguments on television or any republican I've ever heard.

Maybe if you ask them to define it by the book they'll say something like that, but on TV they create this caricature of small business being these small "mom and pop" type shops and people that own their own tow truck with a picture of their head on the door

Between me and you, we both know that's the picture being painted here. Someone that has 500 employees, first of all, in my mind, isn't all that "small" anymore, they likely make well into 7 figures a year and can comfortably give a little more. There probably aren't 500 people in my office building, if this were a business in itself and the owner was taxed a couple percent more.. I'd wouldn't be shedding a tear for him before bed that's for sure!

The argument just holds absolutely no water, it's all talking points and all you guys are doing is getting outraged on behalf of this 0.1% who couldn't care less about you. These group of elites has you all so under their spell they can just sit back and watch the money roll in.

Either way if you don't think this effects you - you couldn't be more wrong.

I'm not American, I have no personal stake in who's in office there, I just think low-mid income republicans are being used like tools by those in office who are part of the 0.1%. They know how to push your buttons to get you up in arms, keeping your country divided while keeping their bank accounts full. You're all doing a great job so far!

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   

but on TV they create this caricature of small business being these small "mom and pop" type shops and people that own their own tow truck with a picture of their head on the door

I once knew somebody who father ran a small business that made a few million a year. I used to work for a company that only had a few employee's that made a few million a year.

There are plenty of "mom and pop" businesses that the owners that take home over a million a year.

There probably aren't 500 people in my office building, if this were a business in itself and the owner was taxed a couple percent more.. I'd wouldn't be shedding a tear for him before bed that's for sure!

I bet you would be shedding a tear when the CFO calls you into his/her office and tells you that you have to take a pay cut for them to stay in business.

The argument just holds absolutely no water, it's all talking points and all you guys are doing is getting outraged on behalf of this 0.1% who couldn't care less about you. These group of elites has you all so under their spell they can just sit back and watch the money roll in.

Your argument holds no water. I can care less about those people. In fact what you try to argue is exactly the reverse. The "elites" have you under their spell.

You buy into the class warfare side of things. You think it is okay for rich people to get taxed a little more if they make more money without realizing that is more they could be paying you.

Which means more money going into your pocket. Instead you would rather cut off your nose to spite your face. You are the one that is under the spell. People like me can care less about how much a person makes. I just wish the government would get rid of the progressive tax system that way I have more money to start my own business.

That won't ever happen though, let me tell you why. Because as long as they have people with your line of thinking it gives the "elites" the power to generate even more money for themselves by being able to subsidize certain industries and being able to offer tax credits on certain products. Which in turn fills the "elites" pockets even more because they are key players in the industries that they are subsidizing.

You are the one that is under the spell. Not I.

I'm not American, I have no personal stake in who's in office there, I just think low-mid income republicans are being used like tools by those in office who are part of the 0.1%. They know how to push your buttons to get you up in arms, keeping your country divided while keeping their bank accounts full. You're all doing a great job so far!

See above. You don't know how it works. You even stated you are not American. Sure some people are getting used like tools, well used too, now millions are waking up to the fact.

It's called class warfare and you have bought the propaganda hook line and sinker. A progressive tax system is exactly how they make more money. The "elites" are actually consolidating their power by using the tax system to their advantage. Besides the .01% of the people that hold a huge amount of wealth this isn't going to fix because they get paid by capital gains which is a different tax percentage.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   

A friend of mine has a small business that calibrates avionics equipment. He has about a dozen techs that do the calibrating, a couple office workers that do the paperwork and shipping, and him and his wife that keep the checkbook and do sales. The company does about $3.5 to 4 million in business per year, and him and his wife make about $300 to $350 thousand per year. Please don't speak before thinking. It hurts more than just you. Thank you.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
guess their funny printed money wasn't doing it for them. this is because we all still have a few more real dollars left in our pockets, isn't it? there's no way out of this. we crash now or we crash later. i vote for now to get it over with.

I'll second this idea, why prolong the inevitable. I know it may sound perverse but i'm actually sort of excited we are at a historical juncture like this. Who wouldnt want to be around for a seconf American Revolution?!

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Wow, I just gotta say thank god we now have obama to save us from any kind of prosperity. Guess the "Change We Can Count On" is the change in our pockets. By the time this (fill in blank) is done, will we have a country we can recognize?

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieOctopus
PANIC! PANIC! People that aren't me, who way way more money than I do, are being taxed!! Nooooo!! The sky! Look out it's coming down!

Sorry I got caught up in panic! That often happens to me when things that don't affect me in any way allow me a conduit in which to panic and complain!

I read most of the thread, first of all way to not even read the article most of you. The majority of people on the first page panicked before even realizing they don't make $280,000 /year and never will. Then reality kicked in and as if on queue the fall back position of; "but it'll ruin small business and thereby the country will collapse" is blindly thrown into the ring.

Clearly none of you parroting on about small businesses eating this have ever run nor know of anyone who has run a small business. A small business owner does not make $280,000 /year
If you think that, you're so far out to lunch you shouldn't even be in on the conversation. $280,000 /year for a small business

Denial is a river in Egypt pal

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieOctopus

Taxes on the wealthy always find their way into the poor peoples pockets. Higher taxes on business means layoffs and price hikes just to keep the profit margin. Funny thing about business,if you don't make a profit...you soon have no business.
Layoffs and price hikes settle on the middle class and the poor...just a tax fact of life!

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Basically. It seems to me that they are intent on running this economy into the ground.

With this and that post by MOFreemason Warren Buffet Says Second Stimulus Might Be Needed it makes me wonder if anyone knows what the hell their doing, besides fouling things up.

The part that makes me sick is that Congress will retroactively raise their own pay to even out the raise in taxes. I mean come on, those morons can't even handle the budget as it is, how do they expect me to believe that this tax increase will change anything or actually go towards this "health care" reform and not some black bag program or frivolous expenditure?

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
The people that are calling for higher taxes are idiots plain and simple. Their hatred and envy of the middle class and the rich has blinded them from the truth. These same people act like they work real hard at their 40 hour a week job and they believe people that make more money than them work less. I can assure You idiots the people that make more than You generally work 20+ hours a week more than You so they can earn a living. You fools don't realize the reason Your idiotic selves can't get a good job is because of taxes. The taxes in this country have driven all the jobs over seas but thats ok with You just as long as You continue getting that welfare check.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Oh boy, another Obamatron.... Most Republicans do not have an income anywhere close to $250,000 a year....

BTW, in case you didn't know ALL of the forefathers of the REPUBLIC saw themselves as REPUBLICANS, at least at first.

In fact ALL of the Liberals in Hollywoodland make more money than most Republicans put together.... The same goes for many Democrats....

I am a Republican and I don't make anywhere close to $250,000 a year....

But you see, the one thing that Liberals such as yourself don't seem to realize, is that despite your lala land, fairy tale belief that money grows on trees, in fact it doesn't.

You think the rich Liberals, and rich Democrats are going to be paying for these tax increases?.....

[edit on 12-7-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
And lets see what giving $1,000,000,000,000 in tax breaks has produced...

let us see...

how are things going again?

sure sounds like trickle down works

For billionaires

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Americans - hypocrisy personified - you wont even lift a finger to help your neighbour - this thread is testimony to that - yet try to tell the world how morally superior they are - laugh.

The fact is that most western capitalist democracies maintain universal health care - we have a sense of progress that looks after its population rather than placing personal greed and blatant malice above common human decency and basic human needs.

If you cant pay for medical needs in the US you will die - this does not happen in almost any progressive nation and makes you look third world - in many ways you are, as a nation, backwards.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by audas
Americans - hypocrisy personified - you wont even lift a finger to help your neighbour - this thread is testimony to that - yet try to tell the world how morally superior they are - laugh.

The fact is that most western capitalist democracies maintain universal health care - we have a sense of progress that looks after its population rather than placing personal greed and blatant malice above common human decency and basic human needs.

If you cant pay for medical needs in the US you will die - this does not happen in almost any progressive nation and makes you look third world - in many ways you are, as a nation, backwards.

Hey, another blame America person wow imagine that.

If you are going to bash American's then I suggest learning the facts specifically the one that Americans are the most generous people in the world.

In fact there was a guy a few exits down the interstate from where I live who just sat on that corner and asked for changed. Ever year he filed income taxes, his income from just asking people for change was $100,000.

Maybe if our government wasn't run by a bunch of crooks then we could talk about universal health care, but as it stands they are just going for a power grab.

So do yourself a favor and learn the facts.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   

reply to post by mental modulator

Actually that was kind of my point, HTBMTL made it sound as if the EARNERS
were going to extinguished from existence.

That just proves you never read Atlas Shrugged. In that book the top earners were not wiped out, they just simply quit working their high paying jobs and went back menial normal paying jobs. They made a personal decision to quit making all that money when it was all going to the government and robber barons.

OH yes you caught me, I couldn't make it thru... And I think you are took the quoted post very literally sire.

However I read three synopsis's before I tried to make it thru that piece of work.
I am also familiar with objectivism and I will say again here that it is extremism.
In fact the entire concept is not based upon reality, for one modern civilization can not exist as Rand sees fit.

Producers or earners do not expire as a group, they are replenished with every successive generation. The nature of business it self ensures that every hole made will be filled by a person who is not disheartened or any of the like.So the notion that all the genius ELITES will just give up fails to recognize human psychology, succession and feats.

Where the hell do you think the music you listen to comes from? An entitled rich person? Hell no, its a regular person who practices for a decade or more, free of pay
because they want to do it... People succeed because they are driven, when one spot is vacated a new occupant takes place.

So yes RANDS notions are based upon fantasy, ego and her own formulations.

When it is all said and done I really think what you invite is a purer more potent for of tyranny. Taking ranks with the ELITES in these financial matters while citing SMALL BUSINESS... HOW did that Trillion $ tax cut work for our economy?
Besides doubling the capital base of the top 1% in less then ten years, what good did it produce.

I know, it made then richer and bolder because they have agents such as you doing their leg work. It is very easy to throw rocks and neglect the initial circumstances as I see everyday.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join