It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Copyright question for ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Hi, I would like to use some comments that have been made on ATS to make a picture and was wondering how copyright works for posts made on ATS.

Recently i posted a link to a photo that i took, i've recieved loads of really cool comments about it and some people have even downloaded my original image from flickr, put filters on it etc and uploaded back onto here. I would also like to use these images for my picture (which is basically going to be my original image surrounded by the responses it has got.)

So, do i still own the altered pictures made by ATS members and uploaded back onto the ATS site and can i use comments made about me/to me to create a new piece of work ?

Ive seen the 'creative commons' licence info, but i'm not signed up to that (and dont want to sign up)

[edit on 12-7-2009 by Wobbly Anomaly]

admin edit: edited title to more accurately reflect content

[edit on 7-12-2009 by Springer]

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   
When you agreed to the Terms and Conditions you also agreed to this:

3) Content Copyright: By posting on this message board, you relinquish all exclusive copyright privileges to the material you post and you grant The Owners non-exclusive, non-revocable rights to publish your posts in perpetuity in all forms. The Above Network, LLC has the authority to decide to display your postings or not, and modify your posts to remove offensive material, modify your post title to accurately reflect content, remove vulgar comments, remove insults or delete any other content deemed inappropriate, at our discretion. Photos and graphic images posted to your media portal "My Pictures" and "My Photo Gallery" sections do not fall under this non-exlusive license agreement.

3a) Content Distribution: You will not copy material from these discussion forums to post on other websites or quote in offline research in a manner that does not comply with the ATS Creative Commons Licences that specifies the author's member name as a member of AboveTopSecret.com, includes The Above Network, LLC and the member as owners of the content, provides the title of the thread, and a full URL to the board thread.

3b) DMCA Enforcement: By posting on these domains, you grant the agents and officers of AboveTopSecret.com and its parent organization(s) the right to seek enforcement and legal remedy for any and all discovered usage violations falling under the DMCA and the Creative Commons content deed.

and in addition to this under each and every post you make you'll find the copyright an usage button. This is personalised for each and every member. Your's will typically look like this:
Creative Commons Deed

The short of it is:

You are free:

to copy, distribute, display, and perform the material

Under the following conditions:

Attribution. You must attribute authorship of the work to "Wobbly Anomaly; a member of AboveTopSecret.com"

Noncommercial. You may not use this work for commercial purposes.

No Derivative Works. You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work.

All that said, if you feel like your images (the imges you own) are being misused under the Creative Commons Deed, please feel free to contact the Admin of ATS and inform them of the situation. They'll have a look at it, consider the legality of the claim and advise you what to do, or even take steps on behalf of you.

Hope that helps.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Wobbly Anomaly

- ... -

[edit on 12-7-2009 by WonderfulWorld]

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Thanks for that, it pretty much all makes sense.

LOL, No problem with people downloading my pics

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Wobbly Anomaly

Here's an easy answer, yes you may.

Springer...

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Thanks, i'll post a link to my 'master piece' when it's done .

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Well, here's the prototype, let me know if anything needs removing.

www.youtube.com...

I'm working on the full length version, but thats the general idea.

top topics

join