It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The cigarette conspiracy

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
With all the additives, chemicals, etc. in modern cigarettes I am surprised there are so few people growing their own tobacco. 25 dollars worth of seeds can potentially yield a heft crop of tobacco.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
god im glad i quit....the price here for a pack of marlboros when i quit was $4 a pack and i remember when i could get em for $2....my reason for quitting was adding up how much all those cigs cost every year(and to live longer of course), as much as the price keeps going up im convinced theres a mega money scheme going on....i used to by a pack a day everyday if u add that up its $4 a day times 365 days a yr, thats $1460 a year! when only a few yrs ago it was around $2 sol equals $730....in just a few yrs tax revenue from me alone equaled an increase of 100%!!!!!! so in my opinion, yes it is a money making super scheme, the fda thing should prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt....just my 2 cents

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I didn't read all of the posts on this thread, just the first page.

I smoke, and have for about 13 years now (I'm 28). About a year ago I was smoking 1 1/2 - 2 packs of Marlboro Milds a day. At that time I also worked in a tobacco store. Just through general conversation with one of the customers we were talking about something but it got to the topic of the brand she smoked. American Spirit. She had a slew of reasons why she smoked them, but the main reason being they were additive free. No added chemicals. Just tobacco.

So I switched brands, I smoke menthol and their menthols are actually just a regular full flavor. But the the butt had been cored out, and there are some type of lil rocks in there between 2 sections of butt. I guess thats to be able to have menthol, but still be additive free.

Back on my point, I found that after a few days of smoking the American Spirits and I guess "detoxing" my body of the other chemicals normally found in cigarettes, my cravings and urges to smoke were less and not quite as intense. I was only now buying a pack every other day, versus 2 packs a day with the Marlboro's. When I smoked the Marlboro's, I literally was lighting a cigarette every 15 minutes, with the American Spirits its nothing like that and usually go atleast an hour or 2 between.

I think and I could be wrong, I don't know all chemicals added to cigarettes or their addictive properties, but it seems like some cigarette addiction could be attributed to the added chemicals.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ThaLoccster

well im sure with things like arsenic and formaldahyde, your body does go through a detox considering those should not be in your body ever.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ThaLoccster

Within the past couple of weeks, I have switched myself from smoking GPCs (Gods Perfect Cigarette... or Generic Pieces of Crap.. whichever you prefer lol)

I had smoked those for about 15 years or so.

I ended up starting to make my own, using a brand of piping tobacco that is additive and aroma free (it's basically just pure tobacco leaf)

For the first few days, my body felt just as if I were going through MAJOR withdraws. Sweating like a pig, especially.

After the first couple days going through that (still smoking the same amount of cigarettes, mind you, just additive free at that point), I felt INCREDIBLY better, and still do.

I firmly believe that I was going through withdrawl from the additives in the other brand. Now that I am freee from those, the cigs I make myself (which is CONSIDERABLY cheaper, mind you lol) taste better, feel better, and seems, for lack of better words, healthier.

I know all this may sound subjective, but it's my story. Take it for what it's worth.

By the way, my wife, who is a non-smoker, finds that the cigs i smoke now (the ones im making) are EASY to tolerate and do not bother her one bit. Whereas the others would make her feel pretty crummy if we were in a room with no way to ventilate out the smoke (I'd not smoke if that ended up happening... would end up going outside, etc). These do not bother her at all, and she finds the smell of them pleasant and the smoke dissipates from the air extremely fast compared to the others.

Anyhow.. There you go.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

Can you name the brand of pipe tobacco for us?

I still smoke, and use eCigs; but a nice pipe blend in roll my own sounds cool. Specially if you can pin down a non-aromatic... most pipe tobacco I've experienced via others can be over powering.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
American Spirits take like an hour to smoke one. haha. Thats probly the reason you dont smoke as much.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by leisuredrummer

If they increased the nicotine their would be thousands of idiots out there against it. They get public support and more money for lowering nicotine amounts.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrMattMaddix
reply to post by Jomina

Can you name the brand of pipe tobacco for us?

I still smoke, and use eCigs; but a nice pipe blend in roll my own sounds cool. Specially if you can pin down a non-aromatic... most pipe tobacco I've experienced via others can be over powering.

Sure, it's 4 aces, made by the Gambler brand.

When you first open the bag, it smells really strong, as you'd expect, but then after sitting open for a few minutes, that heavy aroma really fades, and you're left with a very mild version.

I really love it

What's really nice is, doing it this way, my costs for cigarettes, if you add up the cost of the tobacco, and the tubes for the cigs (i use a machine that uses pre-made tubes to inject the tobacco into), my costs have gone from about 175 a month, to about 30 a month, for the same amount of smokes.

AND they taste better, feel better, and are easy to make lol

from a 6 oz bag, which costs about 12.50 here, I can make about 11 packs of 20 cigs, and the filter tubes run about 3 dollars for 200.

It's been a great decision for me. Only initial costs for it was the $45 to get the machine to do the injecting lol

[edit on 21-10-2009 by Jomina]

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
This thread is a little old, but I would just like another look at this. Today has gotten worse than it was a few years ago. There are floods of commercials to get people to quit. It seems by majorly increasing the tax something it has to have happened. Whether it be killing off the small non-monopolized companies, or stealing the little bit of money the smokers had. But it seems like more than that at the decline of tobacco comes another new product the electronic cigarette. I am not saying tobacco is healthy in anyway but it does not seem like anything a company completely manufacturer cannot be much better in our lungs. It seems that it would be much easier to put small unnoticed chemicals into a liquid than it would be in the tobacco of a cigarette. Our government does not care about us. They poison us, lie to us, and treat us as their slaves whom they can do whatever they wish. They do not care enough about our healths to tell us to quit smoking. No company would waste the money on commercials if they don't get anything out of it. Sorry this is so late on your thread, just saw it and felt like commenting. Hope you see it friend.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I dunno, but to me we can live without cigarettes, and the health risks are proven both by studies and examples you can see everyday. And boy, if you'd look at these old ads about cigarettes, you'd wonder, what were they thinking?

(post by Reds2Cents removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Nicotins is not harmfull? Its actually the stuff that increases the risk of cancer. The tar messes up your lungs.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join