It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Mishandling of the Gulf War Lead to the Terrorism of Today?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   
The Gulf War of 1991 successfully drove Iraq from Kuwait, safeguarding western oil interests and showing that such aggression would not go unpunished. However, at the urging of Arab nations and fearing American casualties, Pres. Bush stopped short of finishing off Saddam Hussein. Saddam remained in place, making trouble and causing concern about nuclear, biological and chemical warfare programs. Meanwhile, the establishment of an American military presence in Saudi Arabia, guardian of Islam's holiest places, angered some Arabs, including Osama bin Laden, who became dedicated terrorists.

Is the terrorist threat of today the result of U.S. mishandling of the Gulf War?

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I don't think so, because we were dealing with terrorism in the 80s, too. I'm sure that was more fuel for the fire, but not the direct cause.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Placing absolute monarchs in charge of countries where they have no relationship to the population probably didn't help matters. The West carved up the Middle East, put a lot of the reigning families in place, and washed their hands of the whole deal.

The problems started a long time ago. Before Israel was established, even.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I agree. Terrorism has been around for a LONG TIME. So I assume terrorists did not just stop 10 years. Terrorists have always been around. I don't hold America wrong for going to war. A different persepctive might be:

"Peace Pill" Side effects:death,bombing,kidnappings,terroism in general. If you are anti-war right now you might want contact your senator for information.

Once it's in effect peace will spread. There is no such thing as peace just like no such thing as perfectness We are trying to stop death in the world and I think America is doing a good job.

new topics

top topics

join