It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A notice to those who oppose or have a problem with the Gay Rights Movement

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by EyesWideShut

It's not comparing to being black, but it most certainly IS a civil rights movement. The players have changed, but the game is the same.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TurkeyBurgers

In the 1960's black people were considered property? I think my friend Martin Luther King would like to have a word with you good sir!

No one was talking about the 60's , I was talking about the times of our founding fathers. I can see that I'm not going to win this argument with you so I won't waste my time or the bandwidth on the server. I'm Black BTW so I'm not sure Exactly what your friend Dr. Martin Luther King would want to say to me. And don't call me Sir , I work For a Living

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by mental modulator

Ya on the other foot you don't know what you've got til its gone...

One day you might have a deep desire to receive the attention you hate now. In fact you might mourn the eventual loss of your attractiveness like nothing else.

I used to be a guy who could garner some attention, however I grew a horn out of my forehead... Point being, my life is not as kind as it used to be, as it was nice to feel desired and "wanted". You will grow some sort of horn eventually and be lucky to attract a cat with an open can of tuna.

Nope. I can safely say that I will never want to be yelled at out of cars, grabbed in the supermarket, harrassed on the street or stalked on the internet. I will never want to be followed home, attacked outside my house, called 120 times in one hour, or sent vile and insulting letters because I told a man that I wasn't interested in him.

Never.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by texastig

And I choose to resist being restrained by your religion and it's dogma. Just because you choose to believe an ancient text written by an unenlighted primative people does not mean that I have to, nor should I be restrained by your beliefs!

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

By THOUSANDS of years of repression! I think that trumps it! And it IS a civil rights issue!

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
What is it? 2 or 3 percent of the population?

I am really tired of hearing about. Having to see it everywhere.

I don't like it. period..........if you don't like that, tough!

Who the hell opened that damn closet anyways?!?

In this country you have a right to do what ever you want in your own bedroom. This does not give you the right to tell me about it!

You said "Grow Up" to someone else. You base your whole life on your sex that you prefer to have. Makes one miss out on the important things in life.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
i think being gay is wrong on the simple fact.

We teach our kid's right from wrong.

Don't stick ya finger in a light socket.
Don't play with gun's

So explain to me how to explain self suicide of your gene pool?

Even gay people have a gene pool.
It took million's of year's of strait sex to make each and every one.
NATURALLY...not turkey baster babie's....

So to turn ya back on what we are here on earth for..reproduction...to carry your seed and spread it.

may not be a sin..but it's wrong in my book.

i have my opinion too.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Certainly fellow ATS member allow me to refresh your memory as to what we were discussing.

You said, and I quote

"Why is being gay always likened to being black & compared to the civil rights movement? "

My response was

"How many black people were repressed for publicly displaying affection with a white partner?"

Thereby building the bridge to connect the , and I quote

"Civil Rights Movement"

Your response was

"None because at that time they weren't considered people , they were property."

Which pretty much ignored the part of the civil rights movement that happened THIS century.

I said

"In the 1960's black people were considered property? I think my friend Martin Luther King would like to have a word with you good sir!"

And the Martin Luther King reference was aimed towards that whole messy thing known as

THE CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT

At which point in time you said something about not talking about the civil rights movement in the 60's and I can only hypothesis completely forgetting it existed at all?

The you said something about bandwidth and being black. I don't know I guess that about sums it up?

But of course if you do not consider the civil rights movement of the 60's to be relevant at all to this discussion you would be absolutely correct.

And yes the majority of people who voted against gay's rights to a civil union were of the Black demographic in California.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by bettermakings

Your entire post is just plain Bull Pucky! For this to happen, we would have to repeal the First Amendment, and I don't ever see that happening! A conspiracy??? I think you are allergic to tin foil!

Edit to add: And only a few states have civil unions. Ever heard of research?

[edit on 12-7-2009 by JaxonRoberts]

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
reply to post by grapesofraft

I'm sure that there are more, but the two that bother me are the right to marry (not that I would! I've already gone through a divorce!), and the right to openly serve in the military. I served for 8 years in the late 80's and early 90's, but I had to hide who I really was (for the most part). I'm just not down with rights for some but not for all. Of course, I'm sure other could add to this list, depending on where they live, as laws vary from state to state and community to community.

I think gays should be able to serve openly in the military. I mean if you are going to risk getting your ass shot of to serve the country then what should it matter. Whatever little problems that would crop up with that could be easily accomodated.

As far as marriage goes two things. I think the government should get out of the marriage business and just leave it to the churches. We should all go civil uniion from a legal standpoint, because what the hell does the government have a right to have anything to do with our personal affairs.

The thing I like about you Jaxon is that you really dont try to throw this stuff in our face. Personally, I would do better if the whole movement was like you. I just want to telll the whole movement... slow down and let us adjust and it will be cool, but I am sure they have waited a while too so they arent interested in waiting until people can accept it easier.

Ok and my last thing is and dont think I am stupid, but does the gay rights movement really get offended when people say things liek "thats so gay", and if not why did they make that stupid commercial. Honestly, I had never used that phrase or even heard it in my life until the commercials and then they put the thought in my head and now I cant stop saying it. Sorry.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by j2000

In this country you have a right to do what ever you want in your own bedroom. This does not give you the right to tell me about it!

You said "Grow Up" to someone else. You base your whole life on your sex that you prefer to have. Makes one miss out on the important things in life.

You got a linchin arranged in your area Hoss? If not the Kernel could probably find you one over here.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by j2000

So you think he should stop fighting for equal rights because you're tired of hearing about it?
Oh dear.
As you say he doesn't have the right to tell you about it, you shouldn't have the right to legislate his personal life with laws that take away his rights.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by j2000

Tell ya what, when I don't have to hear the straight community (males) bragging about their sexual conquests and "look at her *self snip*, what I'd do to that @ss!" and never have to hear the term 'camel toe' or... well, you get the picture.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   

reply to post by j2000

Tell ya what, when I don't have to hear the straight community (males) bragging about their sexual conquests and "look at her *self snip*, what I'd do to that @ss!" and never have to hear the term 'camel toe' or... well, you get the picture.

OMG, please dont take that away from us straight males. It is practically all we have left and it is how we break the ice with our fellow straight men.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Equality, acceptance is synonymous with each other. (I think).

Most people would ignore the sexual preference aspect if it wasn't made such a big deal or even so stereo-typed by members of the gay community.

Your worst enemy is/are members of your own 'community'.

If you work, mow your lawn, pay your taxes, who gives a sh$t who you sleep with?

[edit on 12-7-2009 by mikerussellus]

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by grapesofraft

When one of my straight friends uses the 'that's gay' line, I just remind them that until they suck a _____, they are not qualified to decide what is and is not gay. It always gets a laugh, and conveys the point. It does not offend me, not like the term 'faggot' does! Anyone dumb enough to call me that usually has to make a dental appointment!

[edit on 12-7-2009 by JaxonRoberts]

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   

By THOUSANDS of years of repression! I think that trumps it! And it IS a civil rights issue!

The US has not been around for thousands of years, hence your comparing your sexuality to the civil rights movement in this country is a moot point.

Your reply just shows me that you are trying to one-up to prove a point which isn't nescessary.

You know, I think I have changed my opinion of your thread after reading it as far as I have.

You started out by telling us we should teach out children, who might ask questions if they see gay people embracing in public, that some people are different. Later on in this thread you say it is "us against them."

I thought you were seeking some compassion and understanding here.

I actually feel like sticking my finger down my throat at this point and barfing!

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

I actually feel like sticking my finger down my throat at this point and barfing!

How pleasant.

Perhaps you could spare us the inelegant amateur dramatics and try to understand his post a little better. I don't think he was referring just to the United States. Funnily enough, history goes back much farther than that.

link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

I just dont get the point of the commercial. Like why would it be hurtful to anyone to say that is so gay, and even if it was a tad hurtful isnt that being oversensitive? I mean nobody normal who says that is so gay really means it to be derogatory to anyone. Its just a saying.

Really, I took that commercial in a bad way. It was like first we want marriage or unions and I am like I see your point. I have never really thought you should pick on gay people or anything like that. But then when those commericials were put out it was like WTF, now they are going to tell us what we can and cant say... See my point, and I dont mean it to be mean, i just wonder if you see the other side?

link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

I was explaining the nature of the beast, no matter who the minority is. Come on, read a little deeper, not just skim the surface. It would have also helped if you had refered back to the post I was replying to!

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join