It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A notice to those who oppose or have a problem with the Gay Rights Movement

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by grapesofraft

Let me explain it this way. If there was a commercial with some white dude pointing out something they didn't like and saying, "that's so negro!", do you think that Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and the rest of the leaders in the African American community and the community itself would be up in arms?

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I think "That's GHEY" and "That's GAY" are two different things entirely.

Much like 'n-word' and niggagh are used in different contexts. People say "What up Niggagh?" in music abd in skits I hear on my local public radio station all the time.

BUT maybe we could make it like the word "Niggagh" where only gay people were allowed to use the word "Ghey".

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Sorry I dont get your point, can you re explain or try a different analogy?

Ok sorry I think I get it now. But nobody straight made that commercial it was made by gay people.

I sure wouldnt get mad if people made a thing saying that was so white, or short, or straight, or thin haired... It wouldnt bother me in the least. So I think that is being oversensitive. Like if I was black and somebody just said that was so black but it was over something stupid like a piece of fried chicken... I would laugh and think ahh they just dont get it. But if I was black and you came up to me and said the N word in a way that was agressive I would cut you up and serve you to the dogs for dinner. So to me it is all context and people dont really say that is so gay in a really bad context. It is kinda like saying that is lame or something like that.

But really I just think we should all call each other whatever we want as long as we are wlling to take the consequences for our word choices.

I think I am just a bit oversensitive to oversensitive people. The other day I was watching that Sarah McLaughlin sing and whine about abused dogs, and just her whining and being so pathetic about it made me want to hunt her down and beat a dog in front of her. Maybe I need help.

Anyway.. I am going on about nothing so I will shut up.

[edit on 12-7-2009 by grapesofraft]

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by TurkeyBurgers

Ok , Now I see where we went wrong , miscomunication (ON MY PART) I stand corrected. I was born in 1980 my friend so I don't recall the civil rights movement & I live in New Jersey (Where Only The Strong Survive) I'm the type of person to Judge you by your character and I put people into 2 simple groups DOUCHEBAGS & NON-DOUCHEBAGS. I couldn't care less what someones sexual pref is. Most of my friends are the same. It's only when I come on here and read some of these posts do I think "WOW , there really are still racists out here!" or "WOW It's 2009 and People are still voting and complaining about gay marriage" Me Personally, I'm all about gay marriage , I want them to be able to get married so they can be as miserable as the rest of us

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
reply to post by KingAtlas

I have two words for you: GROW UP! It is apparent from your post that you are VERY young. Nice try at getting us 'old dudes' riled up, but no dice, kiddo! So when do you go back to school?

No, he does have a right to his opinion and I agree, gays are gross in my opinion. It's not natural, no offense. Don't give me that "animals show signs of homosexual behavior" crap either, because it's just that, CRAP lol. It's a rarety in nature and a genetic disorder. Animals are supposed to be attracted to the opposite sex for procreation, and that's just how it works. You do whatever you want, but it doesn't change the fact that it's against nature. I'm not saying you have a choice, but you know it's wrong, so just get off your high horse lol. This is my opinion, but it's also factual. Let the "flame" war begin.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
A few points:

1) If you think homosexuality is wrong AND should be legislated against, then good for you. You have plenty of company, but in the end it doesn't matter because that side will lose.

If you think homosexuality is wrong but that's just a personal opinion and you live and let live, good for you too. At least you are slightly rational.

If you are homosexual and don't wear your sexual preference on your sleeve, then good for you. You really don't need to and these days no one will stop you for the most part.

If you are homosexual and wear your sexual preference like a skin color, then good for you. Just don't complain when your overly flamboyant behavior and demeanor are commented on, met with hostility, invoke conflict, evoke dirty looks, etc.

2) I'm not sure why people think it's wrong for "natural" reasons. Men have been having sex with other men (for example) for thousands of years last I checked and I'd venture a guess it's been always.

That pesky baby-making hasn't really been hindered that much.

3) I have yet to hear any compelling evidence against polygamy or homosexuality (not to liken the two) that would indicate it's wrong morally or legally.

The ferocity of the opposition seems patently irrational, in the same vein as (what was quaintly coined) "Bush Derangement Syndrome".

I'd be interested discuss with anyone.

Thanks
KJ

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
You know, I am somebody who has an innate dislike for Gay Rights. I cannot put my finger on it exactly, maybe it's part upbringing, part genetic. When I saw the sign at the welfare agency that said "from July 1 we recognise same sex couples as normal couples" I got quite angry. I don't know why, but I did. I do however have both family and friends that are gay, and at the end of the day I would rather see them happy and with somebody they love than unhappy and trying to live a lie.

After reading your thread, I feel like I have a clearer understanding to what the message is you are tying to send. And it is a good message. I think society is becoming more tolerant now than in the past. Hopefully more people will put their religious and cultural negative views on homosexuality aside and focus less on their sexuality and more on the person they happen to be.

As equal rights become more apparent I do, however, think the Gay Rights Movement has a responsibility to society as well. Things like Gay Parades, Mardi Gras etc. should be removed from the public. Events such as these highlight the worst aspects of homosexuality and create fear and hatred because people simply do not want to see them or have their children see them. I think this is a fair trade off.

Thanks for creating this thread, you have made one more anti-Gay Rights individual more tolerant and understanding.

[edit on 12/7/2009 by Dark Ghost]

link   

Originally posted by DaisyAnne

Perhaps you could spare us the inelegant amateur dramatics and try to understand his post a little better. I don't think he was referring just to the United States. Funnily enough, history goes back much farther than that.

How can I understand the post a little better when I completely disagree that the civil rights movement of African Americans has nothing to do with sexual preference?

Quite possibly the analogy is wrong to me, and I don't have to accept it.

Be different as you want, but when you make a comaparison of nothing to do with sexuality, then you are wrong in my opinion, and trying to get sympathy the wrong way.

I happen to believe that everyone deserves to find love wherever it may be. I don't have a problem with anyone being gay.

As others have mentioned, I don't agree with public affection between people that is innapropriate, and no, I shouldn't have to explain to my 5 year old why a couple of guys are sucking face in public, nor a couple of heterosexual people either.

There's a time and a place for that type of business, and in any area where there might be children is certainly not the place.

link   

So what is the goal of this post? Since it was couched as a "notice", I assume you wiah to address those who do not share your perversion. You have not won anyone's heart and mind by "demanding" this or that. If your goal is to infuriate your detractors...job well done. What a waste of time. I've heard it all before. Legislation will not bring "acceptance". Demands on non-gays, such as is executed in this thread, only further set you apart from those you seem to want to accept you. Whining about your lot in life is boring and non-productive. Quoting scripture insults those who are religious. If there is a non-gay out there you haven't insulted by now, I'd be shocked. So what IS your goal?

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by grapesofraft

I haven't seen the commercial you're refering to, so I answered the best I could. If it was made by someone who is gay, then shame on them. I'm not really big on the whole 'own the word' philosophy.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I see a bunch of bible thumpers in here. Just so you guys know, not everyone is a christian or catholic and not everyone believes in god, so your guys' little "rules" don't apply to them.

Am I going to burn in hell because I am not a christian? Am I going to burn in hell because I'm married to a black person and have a mixed kid? Am I going to burn in hell because I have gay friends and don't have a problem with gay people?

I bet you guys think I will, but in my opionon its you hateful people that are the ones who are going to really be burning in hell. I will be lounging in heaven along with all the other nice, pure, non hateful people.

Another thing that pisses me off about you bible thumpers is you pick and choose what to follow in your relgion. Its disgusting.

And I saw one of you saying you don't stuff about gays being accepted in schools or whatever, well I don't want your freaking EVIL christian doctrine taught in schools or around schools AT ALL.

I find nothing more funny in life than sitting back and laughing at idiot religiouis people who base your whole life on some stupid ancient book. lol.

[edit on 12-7-2009 by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by EyesWideShut

That is cool man. I am all about people being allowed to be treated fairly. I recently talked to my pretty open minded Mother about gays being married and she was very against it. I was disappointed because I expect women to not forget the struggle they have fought over these MANY years in the U.S. for as simple a right as voting or owning land.

It means a whole lot to me after deploying to Iraq twice and seeing both Men AND Women voting in the Iraq election for the first time in like 40 years. Even my merciless cold dead heart shed tears seeing men and women falling to the ground crying with purple dyed fingers. It was ALMOST enough to make me want to register to vote myself.

I am not gay but I TREASURE equality. I DESPISE Hippocrates. I embrace education.

Heck I am even for Religious Education in public schools as long as they teach ALL religions. I think it is important to teach religion in school because it plays such a HUGE part in the worlds society.

Only through understanding will we progress in this world.

People do not try and understand WHY someone is gay. It is just as important to know as why we all look different or why we talk different. It is not just enough to recognize that these differences exist. It is not enough to say I can see that there are Black people and Asian people. It is IMPORTANT to understand WHY we are different. Where we come from. What makes us that way.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Ok let me be clear. Sorry I just thought they ran all over the country. But it was basically a public service announcement saying we shouldnt be able to say that is so gay because it is wrong. It was sponsored by the gay and lesbian and transgender alliance or some such thing. I just thought it was ridiculous, because it was like they were just nitpicking stuff at that point. i mean I see how it is wrong to come up and scream fag or butt pirate at someone with bad intent, but thats so gay is just like slang not really meant for gay people even thought it does.. if that makes sense. My point being nobody runs around saying that is so gay to hurt gay peoples feelings on purpose.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I don't know any gay people that get offended when people use the word "gay" to make fun of something. Because most the time they aren't even talking about anything that is "gay". Hell, I even know gay people that call eachother "fag" and refer to things as gay too, just like straight people do lol.

Course I don't any flamboyant gay people, all the gay people I know you wouldn't even be able to tell they where gay.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

Quite possibly the analogy is wrong to me, and I don't have to accept it.

That's fair enough.

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

I happen to believe that everyone deserves to find love wherever it may be. I don't have a problem with anyone being gay.

As others have mentioned, I don't agree with public affection between people that is innapropriate, and no, I shouldn't have to explain to my 5 year old why a couple of guys are sucking face in public, nor a couple of heterosexual people either.

That's fair enough also.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by romanmel
Legislation will not bring "acceptance". Demands on non-gays, such as is executed in this thread, only further set you apart from those you seem to want to accept you.

Actually, this might not be true. It took quite a bit of force and time to change the way other minorities are treated. While these things are not the same, the time frames are different, and they are being treated quite nicely in comparison, my point on this is only that legislation can lead public stances on issues.

Whining about your lot in life is boring and non-productive.

Many things can seem petty to those who do not experience it on an ongoing basis.

Quoting scripture insults those who are religious. If there is a non-gay out there you haven't insulted by now, I'd be shocked. So what IS your goal?

If quoting scripture is an insult to those who are religious, I'd say it would mainly be because it's either out of context (which is universally done by any side of any debate that it touches) or because it violates that persons personal safety bubble (meaning it might actually challenge their beliefs using a source they espouse).

Also, I am not gay and I'm not offended in the slightest. I live in a country of thin-skinned folk, so I'm not surprised people might get uptight about certain "unmentionable" topics.

Thanks
KJ

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I don't think being gay is natural. If everyone was gay (and all animals were), all life on the planet would disappear. Is this natural? So no, I don't think it's "normal" or natural.

That said, I've never had a problem with most gay folks. I had a couple of really good gay friends in the Army. I served for few years in San Francisco, and had some good friends there that were gay. I lived with two lesbians for several years. I have no personal qualms with people who are gay.

But unlike "straight" people, there is a subset of gay people who think they are special. Different. They are above the laws of normal society. THAT makes me uncomfortable. Those who effectively point their finger in your face through comments or actions, that in effect, say "I'M GAY I'M GAY I'M GAY!" This is not normal, and is borderline sexual harassment. No.. not even borderline. We had a guy at work who was "flaming" (queen) gay, and he constantly made comments to point this out, and made outrageous passes or "jokes" to straight guys. If this was a guy to a girl, he'd be fired due to sexual harassment. I still donated many office computers to him and his house for aids, because I'm still a decent fellow. But I think his behavior was very unacceptable, and sadly, there are far too many gay people who act the same.

Gay parades end up not making the point they should. They are for what? To say "We are like you... we want to be treated like you, have the same rights as you!" However, during the parade, it's clear they are NOTHING like those who are not gay.

One of my lesbian roomies just had a hatred of men. She put a bumper sticker on her door that said "Boys Lie". I put up a piece of paper on her door after that sticker that said "On Girls." She got reall pissed off about this, I'm unsure why.

The bigger issue is gay "rights." People who are married get additional benefits and rights. Better benefits, tax breaks, etc. Should that be allowed? I personally do not think so.

I've had some good gay friends who are like most straight folks I know. They keep their personal lives and sexual preferences to themselves. I'm really ok with that. I just wish many gay folks did not feel the need to point their finger in your face and say "OMG I am GAY!" What % of gay folks do that? Hmm... I dunno.. 30%? Far too many.

Finally, and you can disagree with me if you like, but gay folks have a much greater tendency to have many partners and many relationships. I think there is a statistic for this, and I think it's true. If gay relationships were to become "legal" then this would cause all sorts of troubles. Divorces are high? That's nothing if gay marriage were to be made legal.

Two guys kissing in public? I could care less. A gay guy coming up to me and saying "mmm.. your butt is cute!" I have a bigger problem with that.

Reminds me of a queer eye for the straight guy episode where they were watching one of their "charges" shower prior to asking his wife to be to marry him. They were commenting on his shaving technique (which I thought was ludicrous), and then one of them was commenting about his body and making suggestive comments. On a prime time show. It was disgusting. Why the double-standards? If that was a guy OR girl making comments about the opposite sex, they'd be crucified. But because they were gay, it was "ok" for some reason.

Just a bevy of my thoughts about gay folks, and gay rights, etc.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit
I don't think being gay is natural. If everyone was gay (and all animals were), all life on the planet would disappear. Is this natural? So no, I don't think it's "normal" or natural.

That said, I've never had a problem with most gay folks. I had a couple of really good gay friends in the Army. I served for few years in San Francisco, and had some good friends there that were gay. I lived with two lesbians for several years. I have no personal qualms with people who are gay.

But unlike "straight" people, there is a subset of gay people who think they are special. Different. They are above the laws of normal society. THAT makes me uncomfortable. Those who effectively point their finger in your face through comments or actions, that in effect, say "I'M GAY I'M GAY I'M GAY!" This is not normal, and is borderline sexual harassment. No.. not even borderline. We had a guy at work who was "flaming" (queen) gay, and he constantly made comments to point this out, and made outrageous passes or "jokes" to straight guys. If this was a guy to a girl, he'd be fired due to sexual harassment. I still donated many office computers to him and his house for aids, because I'm still a decent fellow. But I think his behavior was very unacceptable, and sadly, there are far too many gay people who act the same.

Gay parades end up not making the point they should. They are for what? To say "We are like you... we want to be treated like you, have the same rights as you!" However, during the parade, it's clear they are NOTHING like those who are not gay.

One of my lesbian roomies just had a hatred of men. She put a bumper sticker on her door that said "Boys Lie". I put up a piece of paper on her door after that sticker that said "On Girls." She got reall pissed off about this, I'm unsure why.

The bigger issue is gay "rights." People who are married get additional benefits and rights. Better benefits, tax breaks, etc. Should that be allowed? I personally do not think so.

I've had some good gay friends who are like most straight folks I know. They keep their personal lives and sexual preferences to themselves. I'm really ok with that. I just wish many gay folks did not feel the need to point their finger in your face and say "OMG I am GAY!" What % of gay folks do that? Hmm... I dunno.. 30%? Far too many.

Finally, and you can disagree with me if you like, but gay folks have a much greater tendency to have many partners and many relationships. I think there is a statistic for this, and I think it's true. If gay relationships were to become "legal" then this would cause all sorts of troubles. Divorces are high? That's nothing if gay marriage were to be made legal.

Two guys kissing in public? I could care less. A gay guy coming up to me and saying "mmm.. your butt is cute!" I have a bigger problem with that.

Reminds me of a queer eye for the straight guy episode where they were watching one of their "charges" shower prior to asking his wife to be to marry him. They were commenting on his shaving technique (which I thought was ludicrous), and then one of them was commenting about his body and making suggestive comments. On a prime time show. It was disgusting. Why the double-standards? If that was a guy OR girl making comments about the opposite sex, they'd be crucified. But because they were gay, it was "ok" for some reason.

Just a bevy of my thoughts about gay folks, and gay rights, etc.

I don't know where you live but I live near san francisco and no gays ever come up to me and point their finger and go "i'm gay i'm gay" lol. We have the parade thing every year, but I just ignore that, who cares, let them have their parade.

If these RETARD KKK people can have their little rallies in the south, let the gays have their parades. Atleast they aren't hurting anyone, these KKK people wish HARM on people. Its disgusting.

I swear all you people who think gay guys are constantly hitting on you probably wish they really where hitting on you. hahahaha.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit

No, straight people wouldn't have been crucified for that at all. In fact, it happens all the time, on every channel you turn on.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Sorry , but.
Who cares ?
Sex obsession of any type's for kids.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join