It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robot Teaches Itself to Smile

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Robot Teaches Itself to Smile

www.wired.com

A robot has taught itself to smile, frown, and make other human facial expressions using machine learning.

To get the incredibly realistic Einstein robot to make facial expressions, researchers used to have to program each of its 31 artificial muscles individually through trial and error. Now, computer scientists from the Machine Perception Laboratory at the University of California, San Diego have used machine learning to enable the robot to learn expressions on its own.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I did a quick search and didn't see it. But this has to be the coolest robots I've seen lately. There have been some very realistic robots before but they were programmed and some had learned while being active but this is the first to be self taught.

I'll be posting a video I found below

Let me know what you think.

www.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
As promised here it is.

A hyper-realistic Einstein robot at the University of California, San Diego learned to smile and make facial expressions through a process of self-guided learning. The UC San Diego researchers used machine learning to empower their robot to learn to make realistic facial expressions.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
And there are people who cannot see the vast advances we are making in robotics.

We are coming along nicely and I am sure we can now create robots to do virtually all the jobs no one wants to do.

My book describes this more. It's linked in my sig.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
This is wonderful!

I love to see advances in robotics like this. Truly fascinating.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
That's pretty intense i must admit. I wasn't expecting to see something so realistic when i opened up the link. Since when did we develop wrinkles and all those other facial features?! Heh, the last robot i saw was the Japanese girl models and their skin looked like Geisha skin, but this is just amazing!

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

You shine, SLAYER!!

Stunning, I wave a pendant at you, and grant you a pointy ball of hot hydrogen gas, to adorn your thread!! (Like you need any!!)

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
you guys are getting ahead of yourselves imho.

the software side of it looks to be advancing, but there's nothing too crazy about some little motors stretching a piece of rubber.

what happens when it's time for us to ditch using motors for something more advanced, like nano-tech? the software is going to have to be written all over again.

but still cool anyways.
thumbs up for human advancements.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jaden_x

Well that will come to pass one day but...

It was only a few years ago this was almost impossible and a few decades ago it was only considered Sci-Fi

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
The scene from the movie Terminator 2 comes to mind, when the young John Connor tries to teach the Terminator to smile...

I'm sure we'll get there, some day.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

I'm not sure I wanna be around for that one

A smiling Terminator coming after you built like Arnold.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
This is CGI motion capture , which could be used in the programming of such robots.
Fascinating stuff .

Nice find Slayer .

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

That IS some fascinating stuff!!

But....do we want our future A/I smiling false smiles? It could be very, very disconcerting as they beat us to death, smiling the entire time!

(I've seen this in a Science Fiction show somewhere.....creepy!)

We need Isaac Asimov, and his Three Laws....pronto!

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
We are coming along nicely and I am sure we can now create robots to do virtually all the jobs no one wants to do.

but people do them- what is going to happen to all the people of this world that arent smart enough to do anything other than what they're doing?
ie check out chicks, cleaners, rubbish collectors etc

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Creepy ..... was my first thought also.

Verging on the sinister .

===============

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by lifecitizen

I am sure we can now create robots to do virtually all the jobs no one wants to do.

Well....yes, eventually. Technology keeps moving along.

But, there's gonna be an ethics question, someday. It will involve AI, and whether or not 'rights' exist for what we 'create'. I'm not saying this will happen tomorrow, or in ten years....but it will be an issue.

These concepts have been touched on many, many times, in Science Fiction....and not just in Star Trek or Terminator, either.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Well lets see...

Let's piece together all the known components and build our virtual one right here at ATS.

Lets take her articulation.

Then add this guys voice and computer

Then we can add Asimo walking ability

And finally MULE durability and sure footedness

[edit on 12-7-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
How totally cool! I absolutely had no idea this technology had advanced to this degree. This is almost like Commander Data! lol.

but....are we sure they are real? the Einstein robot looks mostly like a robot, but the one given as an example of conversation, looks almost like a real person pretending to be a robot. His eyes look so real, and I swear at times I thought I saw a pulse in his neck. ?

Slayer you find the coolest topics. Thanks!

edit: apparently can't spell.

[edit on 7/11/0909 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

"Jules" has completely blown me away....I have been thinking that the Japanese were at the forefront of this sort of tech....

If you begin to tie together the recent (here on ATS) thread about the one-atom thick carbon material, that will prove to have applications in micro-circuitry, among other things....the potential, also, of 'quantum computing', advances in battery and power-source technologies...

We really, really need an "OFF" switch, or verbal command override ability in these things!!

Isaac Asimov....a visionary indeed!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join