It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Frequency

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Can someone explain the physics (theoretical and factual) behind the movie Frequency? I was watching this movie a few days ago and it really got me thinking. I realize talking to someone from the past is a little far fetched, but could someone explain the science that went into developing the concept?

[Edited on 5/7/04 by xenophanes85]

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Frequency was inaccurate and was a stupiid movie. I believe time travel but they way it was projected was stupid and awful. I didn't like the end either

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   
well what was the story and we'll see if we can make any sense out of it
even the insane has logic ,somewhere

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Ok the story:

Its 1950 something. There is a family with a dad, a mom, and a son. The dad is a firefighter. He also tinkers with HAM (?) radio. The dad gets called to a fire and dies while trying to save some trapped people. The son grows up with out a father. 30 years later, the son is also a firefighter (I think) and also tinkers with HAM. One night, there is a massive solar flare which causes strange effects such as the Aurora Borealis over places other than the poles and "snowy" radios. Well, somehow, he gets connected to his dad in 1950 something and talks with him. The dad doesn't believe him until the son starts purposefully mentioning things only people in their family would know and telling a final score or something of a baseball game to happen the next day. The son also warns the dad he's going to die the next day in the fire unless he does what he says.The next day comes, the dad sees the baseball game and the predicted outcome on TV at the station, the dad goes to the fire, but decides to listen to his son, and goes the other way. During these events in the 50s, the son is having a few with his freinds at a bar. It's the 40 something anniversary of his dads death. After the point his father was supposed to die, the son gets visions/memories of the events that were supposed to take place if his father would have lived. He then asks his freinds "My dad didn't die in a fire right?". They say "No, he died from cancer about 10 years ago." He asks "Lung cancer - from smoking, right?", they say "Yea". The son then talks to his dad again that night, but this time his dad writes something on the wooden table with a sodering iron. As the dad is writing it in the past, it's simultaneously showing up in the future.

Thats as much of the movie I got to.

[Edited on 5/7/04 by xenophanes85]

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   
There is no physics or any other science behind that movie.

To be honest, there is no science behind ANY movie.

99.999999% of movies "based on" facts have no actual facts.

Look at some of the big ones...

Jurassic park.
Movie: DNA in mosquitoes is extracted and used to clone dinosaurs.
Fact: There are bugs in some amber. All of the DNA is so degraded it can't make anything. Even with brand new top of the line DNA fresh out of the animal most clones never develope.

Independence Day
Movie: Will Smith uses a computer virus to beat the aliens.
Fact: Most virus only work on operating system they are made for. An earth virus can't effect most computers (Windows is changing this, Thanks Bill Gates!)

Event Horizon
Movie: A character touches an event horizon of a singularity.
Fact: An event horizon big enough to see would devour entire planets, not just a guy within poking range.

All these movies have thing "Based on" science...none actually have any science. Why? People can't understand most science in general.

Ironicly, there is a lot of science FACT out there people hear about and conscider fiction! Such as teleportation and time dialation.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I remember hearing that all the sound that has ever been created on earth is still roaming around in the atmosphere, but highly distorted. I can't remember the source, so maybe it's all bunkum. And even if you could extract old sounds created in the distant past, there is no mechanism for obtaining sound from the future. In any case, radio waves are not sound waves.

I think this is just science fiction. Was it a good movie?

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
It's alright I guess ... boring in some parts, but alright.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I think the film's pretty good myself. Pure fantasy though.
you may find this site interesting, it's got an analysis of the film as well as loads of other time travelling films.
www.mjyoung.net...

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
ah well
hey jurasic park does teach 2 lesssons
1= life always finds a way
2= dont feck wi nature or it will feck u up bad

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 05:05 PM
link   
The movie expands well beyond the known behavior of radio waves. During certains times of the day, with certain frequencies, and certain other phenomenon that are occuring in the world, you can contact people further and further away from your transmission point.

They just took this fact and expanded it. So there is a massive sun flare that is wreaking havoc and enables the radio waves to carry into the future and into the past.

Think of the movie Contact. Ellie (sp?) contacts someone in Jacksonville, FL. She mentions that its the furthest contact yet. This is due to the small changes in frequency, time of day, and what the atmosphere is doing.

But in the end, Frequency is a movie. For pure entertainment. I thought it was OK. I liked Contact better.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 08:35 PM
link   
It's bad science. Really really really bad science.

There *should* be a law that every screenwriter researches the facts in their tales to make them consistant with known science. In fact, I wish there was a law that said any scriptwriter caught doing Stupid Science will be taken out back and smacked with the complete library of Issac Asimov's books... but alas, that won't happen.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I thought it was a great movie...

When Jules Verne put a man on the moon and a ship under the sea, he was writing pure science fiction�inventing non-existent and truly unimaginable science to create an incredible story. If his stories were written today, however, they would simply be run-of-the-mill adventure tales. Why? Because moon shots and submarines are now everyday things.

Maybe one day....If they figure out how a radio or phone could possibly do that, I'll be..enthusiastically hopped up.. so I can talk to my great great great great great great great great great great etc.. Grand-Kids, plus get some info on my future lol

top topics

join