It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. to allow HIV positive foreigners entry with visas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   

U.S. to allow HIV positive foreigners entry with visas

www.brownsvilleherald.com

A rule that prevents many HIV-positive immigrants and travelers from entering the United States will likely be lifted before the year is up, after the Department of Health and Human Services earlier this month recommended changing the regulation.

Immigration and HIV/AIDS advocacy groups have been working to repeal the 22-year-old rule, which they call discriminatory, dangerous, and debilitating to the strength of the U.S. scientific community.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.personalliberty.com
globalvoicesonline.org
www.guardian.co.uk
www.hivtravel.org

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
What do you make out of this? This restriction has been in place for almost 22 years.

Obama will likely be the one to lift the ban, after Bush started the ban lifting last year.

Was this ban really based on myth and misinformation as many people claim or was there a real reasonable reason why this ban was implemented in the first place?

www.brownsvilleherald.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[EDIT] To clarify that Bush started the ban lifting last year.

[edit on 11-7-2009 by joscarfas]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I think this is Great! We need A.I.D.S. & H.I.V. Infested foreigners in America! At least they are not Illegal.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
There seems to be those that are genuinely trying to eliminate disease out there.

I even think this Swine flu hype is merely the result of almost Star Trek like abilities to track and monitor disease...

Far from seeing this whole swine flu thing as a threat or some kind of attack on us, I believe we are just implementing methods of crushing disease...

With that said...

This is a huge blow to that agenda...

What we need is to create zones that are free of diseases like aids and push the ability to prevent them out ward in concentric circles until we have eliminated them... allowing the infected to mesh within the population is foolish, particularly with Aids

a Compromised immune system will harbor and help spead other diseases we are trying to fight and pass them along

Further, America depression or not is a land of decadent opportunity... few immigrants will resist in indulging a lifestyle that includes a relatively free sexuality

Giant Mistake

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by joscarfas

What do you make out of this? This restriction has been in place for almost 22 years.

Obama will likely be the one to lift the ban, after Bush started it last year.

Was this ban really based on myth and misinformation as many people claim or was there a real reasonable reason why this ban was implemented in the first place?

1) If it's been in place for 22 years, how could Bush have started it last year? That makes no sense at all.

2) It's a communicable disease. The USA - and every other country in the world - has the right and the responsibility to protect it's citizens from the spread of such diseases. Notice that TB and syph are also on the list. I'm sure there are a few others as well. This one happens to have the perception of affecting a specific minority: but that shouldn't change the fact that it is a communicable disease - one with no cure.

Would you support the lift on visa restrictions for people with TB using the same rationale? Most people would see the folly in that, I think.

[edit on 11-7-2009 by vox2442]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by rollthebones883

So America does not have any AIDS or HIV infected people? Who else do you want to exclude? How about screening people genetically to ensure they don't pollute the perfect American bloodline .

At the end of 2007, the CDC estimates that 468,578 people were living with AIDS in America, around 20,000 more than 2006

www.avert.org...

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
My apologies. I did not write that very clear.

What I meant is that Bush started the ban lifting last year when he signed a bill that removed the statutory entry ban from the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act. Please see here

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by joscarfas
My apologies. I did not write that very clear.

What I meant is that Bush started the ban lifting last year when he signed a bill that removed the statutory entry ban from the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act. Please see here

Had little problem wit the reply. This was a reply to vox2442

[EDIT] To add last line

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
America, as I was taught, is a "melting pot" country, made by and for immigrants. Whether they have HIV or not is secondary, they're human beings and that only should entitle them for a visa application, tourism or not.

So, when the war hawks seize the White House again, they'll soon solve that "problem" and add a gay ban or something.

Teaching democracy to thirld world countries is a thin. Living by those principles is clearly another business.

new topics

top topics

join