It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Says Stimulus Plan To Kick In Later This Year

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Reuters

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama said on Saturday more time was needed for his $787 billion stimulus package to work, predicting the spending would have a bigger impact on the economy later this year.

In an advanced text of his weekly radio speech, Obama said the stimulus plan approved by Congress and signed into law in mid-February "was not designed to work in four months - it was designed to work over two years."

Obama's comments follow government data showing the unemployment rate soared to 9.5 percent in June, the highest level since 1983 and above the 8 percent peak predicted by the White House when it worked with Congress to pass the package. Republicans say the stimulus plan is not working.

Obama now warns unemployment will likely top 10 percent in the coming months.

"We must let (the stimulus plan) work the way it's supposed to, with the understanding that in any recession, unemployment tends to recover more slowly than other measures of economic activity," Obama said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Republicans are always eager to pronounce anything Obama does as dead in the water. They just can't get over the fact that they lost the election. As Rush has led them to do, they want to see only failure.

The current recession/depression was months and years in the making. We are not going to get out of it in a few short months.

Some responsible economists, including Warren Buffet, think there may be a need for a second large stimulus in the not too distant future. Geithner, however, says he does not see a need for it yet.

I say give the president's plan time to work before getting hysterical.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Geithner's take on the subject:

Reuters

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Left Right its all the same and nothing changes ever. You can't even realize that can You? The kool aid must be good if You can't see the last looting of America.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Yeah , right along with martial law...september is not looking good acording to the tale tale signs and rumors. Time will tell.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Kick in what? The door to total fascism?

I can't believe what is happening to this country. We are creating history's first Mega Corporation backed by the full faith and fortune of the US Federal Government. You thought multi-nationals were big, we going to see entire cities built by one corporation, all for the maintenance of and housing of THEIR employees. There will only be a select few of these Megacorporate entities. But mark my words, they're coming.

Fascism on steroids and we're asleep at the wheel.

[edit on 11-7-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Premier Obama has lied so much, does anyone believe anything he says anymore?

I sure hope the field mice in Pelosi's district are getting helped by the Porkulus Plan......because we aren't.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Really? Obama is grasping for straws to defend his presidential downfall along with the economy.

In the fall is expected that Obama the Robinhood will be cutting private jobs already within the government in contracting to covert them into government jobs.

This will cut the salaries of hundred of thousands of defense department workers.

So he can say that he is creating jobs while cutting salaries.

So who he is stimulating here? when you cut jobs you leave those with less money to finance obligations, pay bills and buy food, less money to buy and support the economy.

I will like to know who is Obama the Robinhood stimulating by the fall.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
The first TARP was a planned failure. How could Obama float a second stimulis package if the first one actually worked? TARP 1 Stimulated the elite,the ones at the top. TARP 2 will also stimulate the elite,with the crumbs falling to placate the masses.
The only thing that changes are the players names,the game remains the same.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
*sigh*

I should have expected this from a conspiracy site.

Nobody who has any power can possibly do anything good.

Except maybe Ron Paul, who, if he gets any power, will be considered the enemy too.

I'm just saying give it a chance to work. Even if it's not far enough left or far enough right or enough in the middle to suit you.

If that's being brainwashed, so be it.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

Why? why give a chance when my husband along with hundreds of other contracting workers in my state of GA and in many cities and other states already has been told that they are to either lose their jobs or either have them converted into government jobs with salary cuts by the fall because Obama needs money for his agendas.

Do you think my husband and I care about the Obama the Robin hood stimulus right now obviously my husband and those that work in our local base with him will be getting nothing more than a slap on the face by the Robin hood in power.

So again, who is he stimulating,

I got it, he is stimulating those that filled his pocket with money for his presidential campaign in financial system.

[edit on 11-7-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I'm not clear about what's happening to your husband. Is he a private contractor, or the employee of a private contractor whose contract is ending? Or the employee of a company that has accepted a government contract???

It seems generous to me that he's being offered a civil service position, even if it's not at his previous level of pay. Civil service jobs have a government employees' union and good benefits in terms of retirement and health care. They also have generous sick leave and personal leave. Most civil service jobs offer a lot of job security. The disadvantage of a civil service job, though, is you can't start right out at the top, at least not at first. You have to work your way up to the higher positions.

I'm sure he doesn't have to work for the government if he doesn't want to. He can always work for a private firm, can't he?

[edit on 11-7-2009 by Sestias]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

I am going to tell you what is not been told on the circus manipulated media, that hundred of thousands will be either losing their jobs or having them converted this fall.

At a price of billions of dollars so Obama can finance his proposed health care stimulus bill.

This came as soon as he took office and in February my husband was informed that his job along with many other contracting jobs where going to be reviewed in order to see how much money the government will be saving if they either converted them or eliminated them as they are planning to cut the defense budget and the companies that are under contracting bills.

My husband works for one of the top contracting company in the nation, he thought that his contract was good for the next three years and was told that this conversion was to be done within the next three years.

But this summer just a last month, he was told to submit his resume for civil service, because the agenda was been pushed and the government want the job conversion/cuts by the fall, surprise, surprise.

Now nobody knows which jobs will be eliminated and which ones will be allowed to convert but with a substantial cut.

Obamas agenda is to save billions with this approach but to screw workers that already have been holding the private contracting jobs.

Now what kind of agenda is that and why you don't see this on the news? because it has been kept under the table.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias
reply to post by marg6043

It seems generous to me that he's being offered a civil service position, even if it's not at his previous level of pay.

[edit on 11-7-2009 by Sestias]

Oh, if he is able to keep his job he will be working the same job for less money.

Like I say what kind of stimulus is that, Robin hood Obama thinks that you should just forget your financial obligations and work the same for less money.

Perhaps you could do that and maybe stop paying your home and utilities so you can eat, but some people can not.

this is drastic and with no enough time for some to prepared for what salary cut can do to a family budget.

How about those that will lose their job? unemployment, well isn't the stimulus to save or preserve jobs, then Obama the Robinhood is liar and dishonest.

How about the 1 million jobs that he promised to the nation work force, cutting jobs doesn't sound to me like crating jobs.

At least no 1 million like the deceiver promised.

Obama is proving to be a joke, manipulator and he doesn't give a crap about the working class in this nation.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
BTW, I forgot to add, one of the reasons that government and contracting defense department companies have preferences of military retirees over none military experience candidates is due to the fact that most jobs need knowledge of military codes and many jobs are jobs that were at one time jobs held by military personnel.

That cuts on training and education, also retirees already have government benefits, that also cut on expenses to government and private companies even when private companies offer supplement insurance.

Something that many doesn't know about government jobs, military retirees and ex military have priority.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
The stimlus will not work as designed. The cities and states are using the money for other things than new projects. Obama swore that everyone will be held to strict standards on this money. If so, a bunch of states will have to repay the money. God I hope that actually happens.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

give it a chance to work? There is already over 700 billion dollars from the last stim plan that NO ONE has seen. No one knows where it went or WHY its not been used.

Well its easy, you dont use all the money so the current plan isnt working well, then you can come back and ask for more money!

There is no "wait and see if it will work" when they arent even using the funds that they have already raped the public for their bill last time!

The only plan is to bankrupt us, and its just another excuse to extort more money, which is what it is, mass extortion.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
You Republicans really need to get over the fact you lost.

if McCain was implementing his plan, would u be making so much noise?

Would so many people be making so much noise?

Already GM is out of banktruptcy.

Things are slowly, but surely, getting better.

Stop being blinded.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by KarlG
You Republicans really need to get over the fact you lost.

if McCain was implementing his plan, would u be making so much noise?

Would so many people be making so much noise?

Already GM is out of banktruptcy.

Things are slowly, but surely, getting better.

Stop being blinded.

Republicans lost so they should just stand aside and let an inexperienced former Community Organizer, who is ineligible to be President since he was born in Kenya, ruin this country?

What does McCain have to do with this? He obviously wouldn't have implemented this plan because he voted against it.

GM out of bankruptcy...after 50 BILLION tax payer dollars, I would hope so, but coming out of bankruptcy without dealing with the real problem, they will continue to struggle. The real problem being the Auto workers Union, and their legacy costs. This is the biggest reason GM will not be able to compete with foreign car companies.

Getting better? 3 MILLION jobs have been lost. At some point you reach bottom then I guess if you gain 1 of them back it could be considered getting better....at least the media will play it that way.

The light you see at the end of the tunnel? Most likely a train coming to hit you head on.

[edit on 11-7-2009 by RRconservative]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by KarlG

Karl this isnt about politics for me. So I got news for ya, the other side lost too. Or are we not paying attention? Warrantless wiretapping is getting worse, Bush style rendition is being used still, the new Gitmo is Bagram Airbase, Michigan vs. Jackson was overturned at Obama's request(I leave it to you to figure out it's importance). The policy of 100 mile deep "Constitution Free Zones" extending from all borders is still in effect as policy. Obama is increasing Mercs in Iraq by 23%, there's already more mercs than soldiers in Iraq, all this while our boys are pulling out. XE(Formerly Blackwater) is now operating in Iraq after having been kicked out for civilian slaughter. They are still immune to prosecution. This is costing us more than using our military per merc. Political targeting by DHS is still happening only now they're doing it to the republicans and conservatives-something, I too believed, would end with Obama. It has not. We are in enormous debt. W. helped, but Obama has spend nearly 9 trillion or so, and now we're hearing rumors of more stimulus, more taxes. We have California breaking down. All of our credit rating agencies are starting to get seriously nervous about Washington's spending, and California's inability to put a stop to this mess.

We have geopolitical forces working to debase the dollar on THEIR terms, and it seems we're playing right into it. Things are not getting better. It usually helps to get RAW DATA rather than news media filtration and whatever politicians spew out of their mouths. Same would have happened with McCain...

...Which is kinda funny, 'cause Obama kept calling McCain Bush 2, and that's exactly what it appears Obama is as well.

[edit on 11-7-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
So, once again, we will get checks valued as 'table scraps' in dollars

I was thinknig same thing...what if this is part fo ploy ro deception, to impliment martial law? You know, distract us..... obama has pretty much done opposite of what he said hed do...i have no reason to think otherwise

top topics

<<   2 >>

join